Der Spiegel Magazine is not asking for forgiveness ...

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by LafayetteBis, Feb 5, 2017.

1. LafayetteBis

LafayetteBis Well-Known Member Past Donor

Der Spiegle had "the Donald" on its front-page that made a lot of people yell in anger:
    [​IMG]

But, a week later, the editor is still not apologizing.

Good for him ... !

2. Caligula

Caligula Well-Known Member

I think this cover is rather silly, very likely to shock on purpose, but at the same time I think it makes the Donald somehow more impotant than he probably is.
    Nonetheless, I see no reason for any editor to apologize.
    Will or would the Donald apologize to all those he's insulted over the past few months? Very unlikely.

3. Jazz

Jazz Well-Known Member Past Donor

So he severed the head of Miss Liberty! She will no longer greet and welcome the immigrants. The good old days where everybody went to Amerika to make a fortune are over and gone. Perhaps Miss Liberty should be moved to Halifax!!

4. LafayetteBis

Perhaps, but she is - in fact - a rather popular statue, and is found in smaller form in many places. (Even in France, near the Paris' Eiffel Tower, but down on the Seine River (as seen from a boat) its smaller model stands gloriously. See here.)

Moreover, why does the statue impress so many people, both American and non-American? Perhaps the original sculptor, Bartholdi, explained why in this manner:
    Quite right. The statue "compels" the eye to look. It seduces because the statue's proportions, large and small, are nearly perfect.

5. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is expecting an apology. At this point, the irony is just too delicious to have them apologize.

6. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

I find it offensive Der Spiegel would slander Muslims by portraying Trump as one of them. Do they not remember what happened to Charlie Hebdo?

7. LafayetteBis

I see your reference. But it is not the Muslims beheading the statue, any more than its Catholics killing Catholics in the Philippines, or in Mexico - or as did the Orthodox in Serbia or the Protestants in Northern Ireland.

Anarchy knows no religion - it is an horrific penchant of mankind everywhere and for centuries.

And nothing can be done until the Muslims themselves extirpate that sense of butchery practiced by a radicalized Muslim youth.

Just today, in the news, we learn that the butcher Assad of Syria has had hung 15,000 prisoners in Syria - I'll bet not one of them was a Shiite (his religious branch). Or the massacres practiced by the "Sunnite ISIS" upon the Shiites. The Qur'an includes a version of the Ten Commandments in sura Al-An'am 6:151

Still, let's not forget we "Christians" in the 16th and 17th centuries did the very same when Protestant rose up against the Catholic kings (and vice-versa). Who are we to condemn others, when we have practiced the same infamy?

Thou shalt not kill. Anywhere. For any reason*. Period ...

*Yes, I know all about self-defence and how it can lead to killing. But that is, in most cases, either the work of a sick mind or a mind seeking to get even for someone killed.

8. lemmiwinx

They may not have meant to represent Trump as a Muslim but when you see a guy holding a severed head and a bloody knife what else are you suppose to think?

9. lemmiwinx

Edit: I mean today not Catholics in the 15th century.

10. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member Past Donor

Here's a picture I took of her recently. Head is still where it should be.

[​IMG]