Part 36 of Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mitt Ryan, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitt Ryan

Mitt Ryan Well-Known Member

Part 36 is a continuation of Post Your Tough Questions pertaining to God/Jesus/Holy Bible and I will do my best to clarify and make sense of it to those who are unaware...I still have questions and comments I haven't responded to in Part 9 thru 35.

I don't want my intentions to come across as converting you or whatever lol... but rather clear up things etc... so ask away. Also I don't want people to feel like I'm ignoring your question/questions/comment/comments, like I said I'm still answering questions on Part 9 and so yes, I'm behind.

And so when your question comes up and if it is coherent enough in my view I will then answer it. Sometimes I do answer questions out of order but for the most part I answer them as I'm going through the threads. Ok thanks for your understanding & patience!...so again ask away.

2. Mitt Ryan

Why do you believe the universe with its billions upon billions of galaxies just popped into existence 12 to 13 billion years ago from nothing?

Dropship likes this.
  3. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Are you saying that the universe is 13 billions of years old created by evolutionary processes or 6,000 years old created by a sky God who said a few magical words?

4. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

It took 7 days to make and it's still going strong. Wow that's impressive! Wouldn't be like that these days; it'd turn out to be behind time, way over budget, and wouldn't last half as long.

5. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Who exactly claims that "nothing" was prior to the Big Bang?

6. Mitt Ryan

Are you saying evolutionary processes created the universe? So you must believe evolutionary processes are eternal then...right? These evolutionary processes are they living Supreme Beings? Or are they just something made up and are really nothing? In other words nothing created the universe. Sorry but that is not logical.

I, myself, believe the universe was created by Almighty God the Creator, who is eternal, who always existed, who is a personal living Being. He is the uncaused Supreme Being that caused the universe and everything in the universe to come into existence.

As for when Almighty God created the universe I have no idea...because He didn't tell us. I don't see anywhere in Scripture where He tells us exactly when He created the universe. So it's anybody's guess as to when it was created, these guesses range from 6,000 yrs to billions of years...who knows?...only the Creator, Almighty God knows!

Dropship likes this.
  7. Mitt Ryan

Well it's most certainly not Christians who believe there was nothing before the universe was created. For there was always Something, Something Eternal, Something that was uncaused that caused the universe to come into existence. And that Something is non other than Almighty God the Creator!

So it has to be atheists who claim there was nothing before the universe was created, I mean after all they don't believe Almighty God the Creator exists. So in the atheistic perspective/view nothing created the universe...which is a logical fallacy, because from nothing...nothing comes.

8. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

I suggest that you are not thinking logically and making use of your knowledge.

What are new stars made of? They are composed of hydrogen atoms clumped together into huge balls by their own gravity that goes nuclear. You know that.

Over time the newly formed star, originally composed of pure hydrogen, creates new elements. You know that.

Eventually the star ejects matter that solidifies and clumps together into larger and larger balls until planets are formed and establish orbits around the star based upon gravity equilibrium. You know that.

So why don't you use your knowledge to understand the universe instead of believing in an imaginary god creature?

The cosmic evolutionary process is continuous, forming new elements over time. IOW, we are not at the end of the road but somewhere on a road of unknowable length.

9. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Well-Known Member

Ryan starts the new thread with this creationist canard and strawman.

10. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Well-Known Member

Note how Ryan tries to change the definition of "nothing". Typical.

I, and I suspect most others, don't care what you believe, theist.

11. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Nope, atheists for the most part believe in science, and science does not claim this supposed "nothing" ever existed. Based on the laws of physics, the universe must have always existed in form or another.

So your argument is totally based on absurd ignorance.

12. Questerr

Questerr Banned

God is a personal living being? So which part of the universe does god live in?

13. Dirty Rotten Imbecile

Dirty Rotten Imbecile Well-Known Member

The origins of the universe are theorized based on two sets of data, that I know of. One is the observable data from projects which are best described here. The second is by theoretical physics. Although theoretical physics mainly relies on mathematical calculations, which are not hard evidence, these calculations are often proven correct by physical evidence after the fact. For example the planet Neptune was theorized by mathematical calculation before any actual evidence of it proved its existence.

I think that the biblical description of the origin of the universe is more of a metaphorical description and while it may be a good way for people to spiritually understand things it's not a good model for scientists to use to understand the origin of the universe.

Think of it this way, it's like two kids arguing over what started the car. The sister describes how a pulse of energy originated in a 12 Volt battery and traveled through an electrical system causing a spark plug to ignite a fuel/air mixture. The brother says "no my Dad started the car by turning the key." Both kids are right. If The sister tries to silence her brother She is doing him an injustice if he tries to silence her he is doing her an injustice. Both kids just need to understand that the information they have is useful for different things.

If, however, A person turns off their curiosity about how a car works at the point where their father turned the key then they are limiting their understanding. For some people that's fine. Maybe they want to be a doctor, not a mechanic. Let's just make sure doctors are not telling mechanics their business and vice versa.

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Banned

Oh, cmon. You already know the answer to that.

15. Mitt Ryan

Theists believe in science as well, what?... did you mistakenly believed we don't appreciate/believe in science? The advances we have made through scientific discoveries has greatly improved our lives. However, a Christian’s belief in science should never be like our belief in God. A Christian can have faith in God and respect for science, as long as we remember which is perfect (God) and which is not (science).

That's why the sad truth/reality is science cannot tell us how the univese was created. It tells us that the universe had a beginning but beyond that science has no answers. Furthermore science cannot prove/disprove God.

Well "nothing" means it doesn't exist and so for the atheist who believes what science tells them that the universe had a beginning and because they don't believe God exists then it follows that in their view/perspective nothing created the universe, it was an accidental happening, a cosmic accident if you will for no apparent reason or purpose whatsoever for it to come into existence. That's why I've heard a lot of atheists say, "life is meaningless". And that, "when we die we just become bug food and become non-existent"...such a sad outlook for them.

Sorry but the laws of physics does not tell you the universe must have always existed in form or another, quite the contrary.

Scientists for a long time did hold on to the belief that the universe was eternal but not anymore after they just recently theorized the universe had a beginning...you know the "big bang theory" With that said, anything that has a beginning cannot be, I repeat cannot be eternal...scientists know this to be a true/logical statement.

So is this the part of science you are not in agreement with?

This is a typical disparaging comment made by non-believers that has no merit and is just based on being biased against another world view point.

16. trevorw2539

trevorw2539 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The truth is simple. No-one knows what 'nothing' is. Our human minds define the meaning. 200 years ago space between planets etc . was empty, but now we know it is not. I hold my hands in a cup shape and I see there's 'nothing' there. But science tells me it is full. The universe is expanding into nothing? There must be something there, even if it is only a void.

The law of Physics and Quantum Physics depends on what we know now. In 20 years another factor may be discovered which will change/add to our knowledge in these fields.

The Big Bang was simply the start of THIS universe. There must have been some 'material' to 'explode' before it and that does not need a god.. Why would anyone create an ever expanding universe of billions of suns and planets just to house a puny race of creatures. Why the creation and destruction of creatures (dinosaurs, etc) over billions of years.
    There really is no point to it at all.

17. Dirty Rotten Imbecile

Dirty Rotten Imbecile Well-Known Member

The origins of the universe are theorized based on two sets of data, that I know of. One is the observable data from projects which are best described here. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe) The second is by theoretical physics. Although theoretical physics mainly relies on mathematical calculations, which are not hard evidence, these calculations are often proven correct by physical evidence after the fact. For example the planet Neptune was theorized by mathematical calculation before any actual evidence of it proved its existence (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_of_Neptune)

I think that the biblical description of the origin of the universe is more of a metaphorical description and while it may be a good way for people to spiritually understand things it's not a good model for scientists to use to understand the origin of the universe.

Think of it this way, it's like two kids arguing over what started the car. The sister describes how a pulse of energy originated in a 12 Volt battery and traveled through an electrical system causing a spark plug to ignite a fuel/air mixture. The brother says "no my Dad started the car by turning the key." Both kids are right. If The sister tries to silence her brother She is doing him an injustice if he tries to silence her he is doing her an injustice. Both kids just need to understand that the information they have is useful for different things.

If, however, A person turns off their curiosity about how a car works at the point where their father turned the key then they are limiting their understanding. For some people that's fine. Maybe they want to be a doctor, not a mechanic. Let's just make sure doctors are not telling mechanics their business and vice versa.

18. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Are you establishing that "Heaven" is part of the universe? If so, where is it located? I want to have the Hubble look at it.

19. Questerr

Questerr Banned

The laws of physics state quite clearly that matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed. Given that the universe is the sum total of all matter and energy, the universe per science must have always existed.

The Big Bang Theory does not describe the beginning of the universe. It describes the universe's expansion from the Singularity. By definition, the universe had to already exist for the Big Bang to occur.

This whole notion of "nothing" is absurd. Science is based on evidence. Where is the evidence for this supposed "nothing"?

Like I said, your position is based on ignorance of science.

Dropship likes this.
  20. Maxwell

Maxwell Banned

It's between a couple atoms. You've never seen an atom, protron or neutron, but you believe that they exist.

21. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Nothing can be alive at that scale so are you revising your claim that God is alive?

And yes, science can and does regularly "see" particles.

22. Maxwell

Maxwell Banned

Yes, it can be alive. There are living bacteria you can't see. As technology advances we keep discovering life is more vast than we can imagine. There is an entire universe in one atom. Scripture says everything we see was made out of things we can't see. That's scientific. You can't see the wind, but you see its effect. You can't see air, but it's made up of molecules. As technology advances, our preconceived ideas change.

23. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Bacteria are quite literally a billion times LARGER than atoms.

Something cannot be alive by any useful definition of the word alive at the atomic scale.

Support your claim of there being a "universe in one atom" with evidence.

And once again, we can most definitely "see" atoms.

24. Maxwell

Maxwell Banned

I support my claim with the continual advancement of technology. A true scientist keeps an open mind. To shut one's mind is anathema to a true scientist.

25. Questerr

Questerr Banned

A true scientist understands what "alive" means and how atoms or anything at that scale by definition can't be alive.

So where is this supposed "living god" and "Heaven" located so we can turn the Hubble towards it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.