Bernardi quits.

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by garry17, Feb 7, 2017.

1. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Well, now this is interesting
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-07/cory-bernardi-formally-quits-liberal-party/8247402

IMO, this is not only a bad political move for him but bad news for his electorate (making it worse for him)

First Bernardi was elected as a coalition member, From my understanding, in a reasonably safe seat where they elected the coalition NOT Bernardi. As an independent he will have to work extremely hard to keep up with the government and to get things for his electorate. Should he manage these things maybe he has a start, but at present it would appear he does not.

He will need to carry the voice of his electorate, which will already be damaged by mistrust by his defection. One really has to wonder if he really thought through this move. Maybe he no burn all his bridges if he wants to achieve anything now...

HOWEVER, he shows his attempt at grabbing more power with,
    Same link.

Hanson, you in there??? Sounds very much the same as Hanson. Looking to Trump’s election seems to make these people think they can achieve the same. Hanson might do OK, but she is already on the ground and running with candidates in federal and state government, she appears to be the only nut job who may profit out of Trump’s victory. Given that his next election will be in 5 years, I think he will be hanging on to grim death of his political career as the people realise voting independents who have only one interest in mind, themselves, bring nothing to the table.

Already attempts to demonstrate this move for exactly what it is, Gina is funding him, or so it is said. What a way to undermine any support he thinks he might have???

Well should be interesting anyway, just think he might have committed political suicide as he will no longer have the support of the party so any gains he gets for his electorate will be very hard fought, IF he gets any…

2. Malleeboy

Malleeboy New Member

Garry,

Senator so has not seat per se, he had number two slot in SA for the Libs Senate ticket, so fairly safe.

He is probably more discplined that Hanson but does not have the charisma to draw in a large crown (IMHO).
    He is aiming to chip of a small section of the Lib right, and then force the moderates to have to make deals to get things done.
    He is probably aiming at the quota in SA that elected Bob Day last senate election, not an impossible task but hard to know where preferences will flow with the micro party votes.

3. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

Like Labor, the Liberal party has drifted away from its core fundamentals. Bernardi represents the extreme right of politics, and somehow over the years that faction has become the majority stakeholder in the Liberal party. Hence the hostile environment that ' wind sock' Turnbull finds himself in.

Bernardi has had more guts than Turnbull, not hard I know. He has had the fortitude to stand by his politics, thus leaving was the only option for him. If Turnbull had of stood fast on his beliefs, and left the party as the sitting PM, and created his own more traditional Liberal party, we would of eventually seen his rise to power again. One ingredient Turnbull is missing........... a spine.

This is the start of the fragmenting of the Liberal party. It will still take time, but I do foresee a split. This is in some way John Howards fault as it was he who led the party further to the right, and away from their more central fundamentals.

Scary times for thinking people. Any country that is led by the extremities of politics usually create a massive divide in the populace, and that tends to lead to internal conflict eventually as the disadvantaged are left little choice but to fight for their beliefs.

One thing Bernardi has identified accurately is that major parties no longer reflect the beliefs of the people. They are out of touch. I have banged on about this for a long time, but when the Party becomes more important than the people, we have a major problem.

4. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

I don't see it that way,
    the Liberals (under Turnbull) haven't changed at all I would say. Still stopping legal (and sometimes illegal) refugees from entering Australia by boat, doing jack(*)(*)(*)(*) for climate change, renewables left for the private sector, still investing in coal power stations, backing Israel to to what they deem is right, and licking the American (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) grabber's arse.
    Business as usual.....
    Regards

5. garry17

I did think it was safe, I am not sure he can draw the vote as Day did but at least he is giving it a go.

I do wonder with all that is happening (not just bernardi) I am wondering when BOTH major parties are going to try and pretend they are listening to the people. I know, the truth will be different but I am with slippery with this. I just think it is BIG message to both parties.

The only reason I point out Hanson is not to suggest he is the same but that he intends to capitalise on the discord with voters both parties have and has publically stated as much, along with Hanson.

Hanson has a head start and if she does preform (which she is beginning too) then he has a chance, but I would suggest it is far too late for him as in the next elections he can gather troops for, he will be at the whims of independents and satellite parties performance and his questionable integrity over his election on Coalition ticket…

Again interesting.

6. garry17

Oh I think a carp has more spine than Turnbull, Nationals have chaffed under Liberal for some time as it is clear the Liberals have no interest in the rural sector and clearly the coalition as a party has ignored the area they now want to save their collective economic conditions. I was wondering just how long it would take. The rubber band brakes sooner or later the more you stretch it.

I think one of the things Australia is looking at is far too much choice; Palmer was new, fresh and completely without scruples. He had considerable support until it was clear what he was about. Bit like Trump??? We wait and see. Hanson, Xenophon, Lambi and now Bernardi, Who will be Australia’s Trump???

The truth is Turnbull’s indecisive method has alienated much of the Coalition support and the fact the rural sector is totally ignored in any meaningful way has made this government on the nose to many who elected it. Since they already had been disillusioned by the ALP, where too next.

Without trying to infer insult we see from Cat (aptly named) people really do not understand the issues between city and rural. They do not understand that their idealistic beliefs are detrimental to the rural sector. They sit in their Coogee bay coffee shop talking about how the rain was so bad in the city yesterday and they can fix something because the white coats said so. The rural sector is sitting looking to the skies for that rain…

When half your party has no idea about half the nation, and really don’t give a crap, you can only expect it to tear itself apart. The question is who will fill the hole??? ALP??? I would hope not as it is just more of the same…

7. Malleeboy

Malleeboy New Member

Compulsory, prefential voting makes Australia different to say UK or USA.
    In optional, FPTP it is about engerizing your base to vote less then you energize your opponents base to vote.
    Trump get soem votes for him, some votes against Hillary and Hillary failed to get her base out to and voting for her like Obama.

So in Australia it is the battle to sway the uncommitted and often politically apethetic voters in marinal seats.

Right wing micro parties will genreally be supportive of Libs, just as Greens are generally supportive of Lab.
    But likely gone are the days of clear majorities, more hobbled together coalitions of disparate groups.

More Xenophon style state\electorate pork barrelling, more shonky deals to scrap things through, continueing zig-zagging on policy trying to appease unappeasable clusters of egocentric demagogues.

For a while I think we shall look back on the days of Hawke/Keating/Howard (no matter which side your from) as the days of good stable government.
    People who are trained to pay no more attention then 3 min Youtube clip, and who idolize meaningless celebs are probably getting what they want.
    Hopefully we will swing back to sanity when we get tired of the "circuses".

8. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

You must only go back as far as Howard.

9. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

100% correct,
    cheers

10. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

You have missed the entire point. Why do you think people have revolted against the two major parties in the first place?

Its because they are sick 'n' tired of the circus that been occurring every three years in State and Federal politics.

The people know these parasites get re-elected every three years, and do nothing. If they actually did something, then our country wouldn't be in such a bloody mess - would it.

The circus has not been caused by the independents in the Senate, but the decades of incompetent mismanagement in The House of Representatives.

You all sit around worshiping and kissing Hawke; keating and Howards butthole like it was some kind of golden era. But besides sell off our public owned assets that we no loner get any revenue from, and made themselves look like competent managers - what did they actually do for the welfare of Australia and Australians?

I don't re-call any of them building any National projects or buying any international assets where Australians gain revenue from?

11. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

You say that like those bad things :wink:

Everyone has more informed opinions these days which means they take a greater stake in particular positions. Which suits populist parties like the Greens and the ALP because all they have to do is worry about appearances - but tears apart support for more conservative parties who instead are focused on reality instead of popularity. A conservative approach is required these days, otherwise markets and globalism will tear you a new hole - like the banks did to Rudd/Gillard!! Most folk cannot even handle their own life successfully enough to really have a useful opinion about the complex issues facing governments. I'm not sure if democracy is on the way out yet, but perhaps China is on to something after all.....

12. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

People are more responsive to political news because of its accessibility. People can fast forward, rewind, replay ad nauseam any bit of commentary or statement be it positive or negative that has been thrown in their path. The political world has become a fickle one as a consequence. I think both sides need to stop attempting to appease the broader population because it is obviously going to stay messy. Hawke, Keating and Howard stayed true to their beliefs whether you agreed with them but importantly didn't have to battle the endless news cycle.

Bernardi might surprise but should have defected to support Hanson who has very similar views. You'd have to think he is motivated by personal interests and ego!

13. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft Well-Known Member

so you have nothing to ACTUALLY contribute except to bag the alp and pump up the conservatives based on your opinion

14. axialturban

Not even close. I was addressing m2's point specifically, as quoted. Don't be scared and react so strongly.... I don't bite.

Cheer squad is tight, good job, channel that nasty and you two can be like a real gang.

15. LeftRightLeft

Ah sorry professor, so this
    is not " bagging the alp and pumping up the conservatives" You are even trying to blame the disillusionment people have with the conservs on Labor. Sheesh you are tarred with a Liberal brush. TURNBUL is the most suck up PM we have ever had, it's ALL about POPULARITY

16. axialturban

Comprehension, google it. My point is quite specific to the changing nature of voter allegiances. Don't be butt hurt because it's not supportive of your preferred political alliances. Taking that sort of thing personally and getting all defensive is a symptom of strong bias, because anything which disagrees must be wrong and without foundation and having no purpose but to slander.... right?? That is how you folk tend to come across....

17. LeftRightLeft

Well you are the expert, I will leave "Taking that sort of thing personally and getting all defensive" to you, and "because anything which disagrees must be wrong and without foundation" because I know you live by those commandments as you have been demonstrating by your attack on me.

18. garry17

Umm sorry, but the PC police are not necessary just because they spoke ill of your ideals...

Instead of pushing your ignorance and hatred you might contribute, I know it is hard for you, but actually discussing the issues and ignoring those you THINK oppose you at every turn might provide decent discussion. I doubt it as all we see is hatred and insult but hey, we can only hope...

19. truthvigilante

Ah, the old tactic of "how you people come across"! It's time to have a good hard look at yourself my friend. Just read your responses and you will see the truth behind who you are. It's time to be honest AT and stop with the shenanigans if you want serious responses. Can you smell that???? (Deep breath).....ahhh, they're roses my friend!

- - - Updated - - -

Conservatives are always right and hypocrite is not part of their vocabulary from what I see!

20. LeftRightLeft

Where I live we have these pesky little flies, not as big as your normal "Louie", but much peskier, they seem to follow you around, buzz buzz buzz. Ah Australia, love it, love it's flies,

Oh sorry Garry, you were commenting on me not commenting on the topic, or was you commenting on me commenting on what others commented on. Could I have your comments.

21. LeftRightLeft

There is a fair share of them on both sides and more so in the minor parties, but with them you can understand it, they don't have the breadth to cover all issues so they have to sacrifice some, But the blatant hypocrisy of this current government is in a league of it's own.

What makes me laugh is they went to the ballot promising an honest transparent stable government that got things done and would stop refugees coming by smugglers. One out of five ain't bad .. it's disgusting.

22. garry17

Seriously the hypocrisy demonstrated is laughable. Contribute nothing but vilify others for contributing their beliefs because they are opposed to your particular partisan ideals.

Since this stoush some seem to have had with the moderators, the trolls seem to have gotten upset launching attacks on people and trying to insult everybody they don't like and trying to pretend they are of higher morel upbringing. It isn't working; they still show they are trolls...

23. LeftRightLeft

Exactly, but you have demonstrated this enough now, why don't you try actually commenting on the topic I might even give you a "Like" as you may have noted I actually like some of what you say, WHEN you actually say something, your commentary whether I agree or not, is good, however you spend so much time chasing people around to denigrate them it starts to become a little boring.

24. garry17

Eh numb nut, perhaps you would like to see who created the thread. I made my comment before you and your compatriots brought your trolling.

Great example there of the trolling...

25. truthvigilante

He points the finger at others to cover for the shortfall that belies his own MO. Gotta love the brazen-faced attitude! Oops, what's the thread about again.....naughty, stay on topic.