Do Trump supporters have a breaking point?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Durandal, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

It is a very good question.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/do-trump-supporters-have-a-breaking-point-2017-02-09

Published: Feb 9, 2017 8:31 p.m. ET

I have a genuine and serious question for Republicans and other Trumpists.

How much profiteering is too much? Seriously. How much is Donald Trump allowed to use the White House to advance his family's economic interests before you scream “enough is enough”?

Most Americans are concerned first and foremost with their own family's economic situation, and that of their communities. They may reason that if they are doing well, who cares if the Trump family makes a little extra off of its public position? (Let's put aside the raging hypocrisy of the "pay for play" campaign against so-called Crooked Hillary.)

But at what point does this cross a line? At what point do Americans stand up to Mr. Swamp-Drainer-in-Chief and say, "What on Earth...?"

Trump supporters, please let people know if you have a breaking point. I am genuinely curious.

Not even three weeks into his presidency, here’s some of what Trump has been able to get away with:

1. Trump uses his presidential platform to attack Nordstrom JWN, -0.27% for ceasing to carry his daughter Ivanka's clothing line, even though the company had already said it had cut the line for commercial reasons.

2. Trump uses the White House press spokesman, a government official, to double down on his comments and also attack Nordstrom.

3. First Lady Melania Trump admits in a court filing that she had intended to use her position over the next four years to garner "multimillion-dollar business relationships." She then denies what her lawyers said in a court filing, but nonetheless continues with a $150 million "damages" claim based on the value of those profits.

4. The Department of Defense announces it is going to rent space in Trump Tower on the public dime.

5. Donald Trump refuses to divest of his businesses and instead merely puts them in the hands of two independent individuals — his sons Donald Jr. and Eric. When the federal government's ethics watchdog called that move "meaningless," House Republicans responded... by attacking the watchdog.

6. Trump announces that his Florida club Mar-A-Lago will be the "Winter White House" and then doubles the admission fees to $200,000.

7. Trump lets his daughter Ivanka sit in on his official meeting with the prime minister of Japan — while she is negotiating to license her clothing line to a Japanese company that is majority-owned by the government of Japan.

8. Ivanka Trump wears an "Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry" bracelet when she appears on “60 Minutes” with her father, and then immediately uses the publicity to sell copies for $10,000 apiece.

9. Days after he is elected president, Trump holds a photo-op at Trump Tower with his Indian business partners, helping market their new luxury development near Mumbai.

10. President-elect Trump speaks by telephone with Argentine President Mauricio Macri, and three days later a Trump development project in Argentina, which had long been stalled, is underway again.

11. When Eric Trump travels abroad for a high-profile marketing trip on behalf of the Trump organization, the $100,000 security bill is footed entirely by the U.S. taxpayer.

Such so-called kleptocracy is nothing new in U.S. politics. President Lyndon Johnson and his wife Lady Bird Johnson profited handsomely from her ownership of a Texas radio station. Ronald Reagan collected a big paycheck from the Japanese after eight years of appeasing their country's economic predations. Bill and Hillary Clinton raked in millions of dollars in speaking fees after leaving the White House. All of this can be criticized, with more and less force. But that doesn’t make it right.

It is surely relevant that many Americans voted for Trump because both he and politically conservative media told them Hillary Clinton was a "crook," while Trump would "clean up Washington" and "drain the swamp." So I’m asking now: When does Trump’s profiteering become too much? Or have we come to a point where anything goes?

Bowerbird and HereWeGoAgain like this.
  2. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

As long as he has an R beside his name and the Republican controlled Congress can advance their ideals, I doubt most Republican supporters will care (I've yet to see a conservative on this board say anything negative about Trump et al)

Making money from your Govt position of power is only bad if Hillary or a Dem does it.

(Inb4 deflection to Hillary or Obama or the "left")

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bx4 and bois darc chunk like this.
  3. justonemorevoice

justonemorevoice Well-Known Member

This...every letter of this is dead-on accurate.

4. Til the Last Drop

Til the Last Drop Well-Known Member Past Donor

Either tons of jobs come back or they don't. He needs to quit messing around with other stuff and focus on NAFTA and China Trade.

That is what got him elected.

And no one cares about the pleas of establishment outlets. Globalists aren't an option.

The globalists are speaking in dust - when nationalism is the wind.

Their words are trash.

5. PrincipleInvestment

PrincipleInvestment Well-Known Member

Even IF you accept every "bullet point" in the OP as true, where does it illustrate Trump "influence peddling" to foreign interests? "pay for Play" accusations dogged Hillary, because outside of her "political influence" Mrs Clinton has NO PRODUCT to market. NO industry, No commodities, No brand. Capitalism is far different than corruption.

6. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

It's not just a matter of jobs coming back, he also campaigned heavily on immigration matters. It was, after all, the issue that shot him to the front of the GOP pack during the primaries. People want a border wall, they want illegals deported, and they want restrictions on Muslim immigrants. If he doesn't deliver on these things also, in addition to the one issue you bring up, he's done.

7. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Well-Known Member

Trump will find out soon enough how far his family corruption will fly. He's just like a South American dictator, as far as that goes.

8. Durandal

It would be nice to see him quit making a spectacle of himself and give us some good legislation. It sounds like he has a comprehensive tax reform on the way. I just hope it's more competently crafted than what we've seen so far! But then we also have to worry about how Republicans and the American people in general will receive him and his proposals by then at this rate. I don't imagine 0bamacare would have had the same impact coming from a background of endless scandal and bickering on the part of 0bama himself.

- - - Updated - - -

He's just going to have to be careful about how he does it. He's clearly facing a lot of legal hurdles where deporting and banning immigrants is concerned, not to mention issues of public perception and acceptance.

9. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks Banned

Because the author in the OP is reaching his breaking point, he assumes Trump supporters are, as well. He doesn't understand Trump campaigned to do what he is doing. His supporters are happy with his quick work on fulfilling his promises.

Far from a breaking point, they want more of it.

SiNNiK likes this.
  10. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

How many Dems complained about what the Clintons did to Haiti again?

Did you hear any of them complain about the Clinton Foundation paying for her daughters wedding that reportedly cost a pretty penny?

How is Obama leaving the white house with over $12 million dollars? Why is he projected to make another $242 million in the next few years?

Even if this is true about Trump and isn't spun 6 ways to sunday, lets not pretend like this is a republican problem.

11. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

You already deflected, you can't call a deflection in the middle of a deflection.

12. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

No, I really don't think Trump's supporters, at least the most virulent of them, have a breaking point. The buffoon could literally go out and shoot the judges who ruled against him and they'd love him for it, LOL. Thankfully they represent a minority of the adult population. I think we're going to see some polls come out about this very subject (naturally they will not be considered) and the findings will most likely be interesting.

13. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Nah, we LURV him to bits and he can do no wrong in our eyes, and somebody up there lurvs him too..:)

[video=youtube;b2egJ6tPyyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2egJ6tPyyQ[/video]

Jesus said-"And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered" (Matt 10:30)
    [​IMG]

14. justonemorevoice

Do you believe everything that you read? I strongly suggest you dig deep before you post deep ones:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...helseas-wedding/?client=ms-android-att-aio-us

15. WertyFArmer

WertyFArmer Well-Known Member

I think there is a breaking point, but it wont be reached by the News/Dems constantly crying "Wolf, Wolf, Wolf" and then breaking stuff.

He has kept many of his campaign promises so far. As long as he can get Congress to fund the wall, cut taxes and replace Obamacare, he could make as much money on the side as he wishes and I would think most, if not all that voted for him before, will vote for him again.

The rest of the noise is just noise. We spent the last eight years trying to point out corruption and no one on the left gave a damn. Pay back is a B, yo.

16. justonemorevoice

They'd certainly flail about looking for a "reason" he shot them.

17. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Except that we are talking about using your position of President to enrich yourself. It doesnt have to be influence peddling.

Hillary just did it one way, Trump does it another (so far. Remember we are only a few weeks in. Hillary took decades to get to where she was)

Public service shouldn't be about personal enrichment, it should be about doing what's best for the country.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

18. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You may want to do the same.

WaPo as a reference? Why didn't you just ask Hillary herself to comment.

Here's the Podesta email from wikileaks:

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/52046

rom:doug@presidentclinton.com
    To: john.podesta@gmail.com
    CC: terry@tdmca.com, cheryl.mills@gmail.com
    Date: 2012-01-04 21:45
    Subject: Re:

I learned from the best

The investigation into her getting paid for campaigning, using foundation resources for her wedding and life for a decade, taxes on money from her parents....

I hope that you will speak to her and end this
    Once we go down this road....

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 05:00 PM
    To: Doug Band
    Cc: terry@tdmca.com <terry@tdmca.com>; cheryl.mills@gmail.com <cheryl.mills@gmail.com>
    Subject: Re:

You are perfecting your skills for understatement.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Doug Band <doug@presidentclinton.com> wrote:
    > I just received a call from a close friend of wjcs who said that cvc told one of the bush 43 kids that she is conducting an internal investigation of money within the foundation from cgi to the foundation
    > The bush kid then told someone else who then told an operative within the republican party
    >
    > I have heard more and more chatter of cvc and bari talking about lots of what is going on internally to people
    >
    > Not smart

Please.

Got any comments on their abuse of government contracts and the horrible things they did to the Haitian people? No?

19. TrackerSam

TrackerSam Well-Known Member Past Donor

The memory of President Obama is traveling faster than the speed of light away from us. Hillary found the country's breaking point with pay for play.

The White House on Thursday said that a top adviser to President Trump had been &#8220;counseled&#8221; after using a television appearance from the West Wing to promote the clothing and jewelry line sold under the brand of Trump&#8217;s daughter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...-ivanka-trump’s-products/ar-AAmLCOB?ocid=iehp

It's been handled. One incident isn't a pattern.

20. PrincipleInvestment

PrincipleInvestment Well-Known Member

The financial gains are minuscule, and in no way do they compromise national interests. Is it behavior becoming to the US president? No. Is it unethical? Probably. Impeachable? Hardly. It's my hope Trump will come to realize his small gains don't justify the costs politically. Barring that, I have every confidence the ethics committee will in fact admonish, and correct our POTUS without political reserve.

21. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am not a "Trump Supporter". He was about my 5th - 6th pick. However, after watching what the Liberals have done since his election, I am rapidly moving in his direction and giving him my support. Liberals are going to find that the average American has little tolerance for their bull(*)(*)(*)(*).

What he did on his Temporary Ban Executive Order was poorly executed, but he intention is spot on. I don't want to become like Germany, Sweden, France, Norway, etc... The Executive Branch makes National Security policy and decisions, not the courts, not the states, the ruling is not following the constitution. We now have a new precedent thanks to the 9th Circuit that says a State can make National Security policy. WTF? Thankfully, the 9th Circuit is the most over turned and non-constitutional court in the land and their craziness (which Liberals support) will get struck down in time. 58% of Americans side with Trump on this matter. (The breaking point is in the other direction.)

22. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes, but we got over it with the election.

23. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

Finances don't matter much if America ceases to exist. That is my breaking point.

24. mdrobster

mdrobster Well-Known Member

i dont expect any trump supporter to hold pres trump accountable, since they dont hold themselves accountable. rwers are only seeking power in their ideology and have no care about ethics

25. Durandal

You mean your ethics are entirely subject to partisanship. Got it.