The Last Executive Order?

Discussion in 'Economics & Trade' started by David Merrill, Feb 10, 2017.

1. David Merrill

David Merrill New Member

We will see. Executive Order #13772 showed up in the Federal Register Wednesday morning then disappeared a couple hours later. You can watch for it

I wrote a LinkedIn article this morning. Click Here. It is still on the GPO website and even on the White House website. But if an Executive Order is not published in the Federal Register it does not exist.

2. LafayetteBis

LafayetteBis Well-Known Member Past Donor

It makes for some good points, at least in writing.

But it remains to be seen how it will be implemented. That is, taxation is at the heart of the gigantic rip-off of Income that, after featherweight taxation, drifts up into Wealth. Whereupon, item Section 1b becomes important, that is:
    It is by this means that Trump has been able to not pay any taxes over past years, and it would be interesting to see his tax-records that should go back to 1991 when "it" all started* ...

*Some people think he has paid no taxes since, by manipulating tax write-offs of losses of various business failures! And, lord knows, he has manufactured many!

3. David Merrill

David Merrill New Member

When the question came up, as I saw it on the news TRUMP paid almost $1B in income tax. The social media tried construing the amount to mean that he would not owe any more taxes for 18 years, according to tax law. Somebody emotional would construe the article to mean that TRUMP was evading tax liability but like told, he paid nearly a trillion dollars.

I think you touch upon a poignant point though. How easy it is to confuse people with an emotional appeal. And how quickly what people think they are watching, the News, is actually emotionally charged social media. Why? Because the News is competing with social media for your attention and people like to feel that they dodged the bullet.

Tool - Vicarious with lyrics.

[video]https://youtu.be/hii17sjSwfA[/video]

CASTLE CHURCH - For the Redemption of the Office BISHOP

[​IMG]

4. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand the issue with Trump's taxes. You've probably been watching Fox News or listening to Spicer talk, because that's how people get misinformed. It is specifically income taxes that he has admitted he used a legal trick to avoid - other taxes, of course, are being paid. He has openly acknowledged that he did this by writing off a large loss in 1995. Of course it's ridiculous he was able to do this, being a rich man being able to avoid paying income taxes, but not illegal. I suppose it's an emotional issue in terms of expecting rich people to proportionately contribute to society, but it's not an emotional issue in terms of the facts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html?_r=0

5. LafayetteBis

Have you read about the most recent polemic regarding "false news" that was prevalent during the elections?

Maybe not - so have a go here:
    *2016 Lie of the Year: Fake news - excerpt:
    *Wikipedia: Fake news websites in the United States
    *The Guardian: What is fake news? How to spot it and what you can do to stop it

If Trump had paid $1B in taxes, why would he not want the world to know it? False modesty?

He's the only candidate (in 40 years) to have never divulged his financial situation - which is the most basic of facts that people should know before electing a PotUS ...

6. LiveUninhibited

You quoted yourself as if it was me. I never said Trump paid a billion. Actually, he lost almost that much and wrote it off.

7. David Merrill

David Merrill New Member

8. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why is it ridiculous? If I invest a huge amount of money in one year, why shouldn't I be able to write it off over several years? You know what happens when you change that rule? People sell their equipment and then lease it back so they effectively get the same tax arrangement.

By "emotion" you mean envy.

9. LafayetteBis

NOT ONE BIT

Neither did I say he paid a billion.

He has consistently played the "bankruptcy card" and managed to avoid heavy taxation. As candidate for PotUS, he deserved to demonstrate his taxation record as a candidate to the highest post in the land (and it should be required by law).

What have they got to hide? How they have been finagling low-taxation schemes ever since Reckless Ronnie changed them in the 1980s, which has led to this consequence:
    [​IMG]

The above displays amply well how America's "Ruling Class" are the Wealthy. They "pay" for election outcomes because they can donate limitlessly to obtain election outcomes. Like dummies we vote according whatever the Boob-tube tells us. As with soap-powder commercials, they all "wash whiter than white".

The rich get what they pay for - this last election proves that point. They want the present taxation scheme* to change NOT ONE TINY BIT ...

*What taxation scheme? The flat-rate taxation scheme above $105K in family earnings. See here.

10. LiveUninhibited

Losing money on your business isn't an investment. Being able to write it off is a mechanism to give people a break when they fall on hard times, like somebody who has a failing small business. Trump exploited this mechanism to avoid paying taxes, to avoid paying his fair share. It doesn't make him a criminal, but it is an example of being a bad citizen, which can be taken to imply that his motives are related to ego rather than benevolence. But it's the results that count. I am not optimistic, but I am relieved he backed off on provoking China.

No, I think contempt would be a better word. Not everybody obsesses over having money as much as you seem to assume.

11. David Merrill

David Merrill New Member

Every day this becomes more evident that the War is over. The last Executive Order has been issued, removed from the Index, and is appropriately an Order from the President to the Secretary to prepare a report how to handle the end of job I leave in his power.

Fed Reg Index.
    Executive Order #13772 on the GPO website.

[​IMG]

12. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your implied assumption is that investment must always yield and immediate result. The fact is, it often doesn't, especially if it's a long term project. Some facilities take years, possibly decades, to return a profit and require enormous capital investment.

Write-offs reflect the cost of doing business. It has nothing to do with hard times.

So a bad citizen uses the law correctly, but a good citizen doesn't?

Why don't you write a complete set of rules on what it means to be a good, obedient government citizen.

Contempt comes from envy. I will agree that he's a contemptible president, and ,then, I don't think much of any politician.

You're right. Some people obsess over forcing their "superior" values onto others through the police powers (violence) of the state. Whether that's your "fair share" to pay for all those governemnt entitlements, or it's social prohibitions from Christian fundamentalists.

13. David Merrill

David Merrill New Member

14. David Merrill

David Merrill New Member

I am opening a new thread. I have figured the $1B "loss" was TRUMP spending money on his own political campaign for the most part. So we have a businessman in the White House who paid his own way. Considering the Chinese $200M contribution to get CLINTON reelected, I think we are better off without a politician/attorney at the Helm.