Europe is safer so why are we more frightened?

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by see you next tuesday, Feb 14, 2017.

1. see you next tuesday

see you next tuesday Active Member

Maybe its my age but i juts don't get the fear of terror thing - Its just too comic book form me.

When i was a kid in the 70's, i only worried about kids things like riding my bike and playing with my mates and yet there was more terrorism and death by terrorism in the 1970's then there is now.

Europe is safer now than at anytime since WW2 but you wouldn't think it would.

Is this becuase modern technology reminds us to be sh!t scared every hour or have we become weaker and easier to frighten?

Or did global terrorism begin on 9/11

Why don't we hear that europe is safer from terrorism than it was 30 years ago?

2. sharik

sharik Banned

tell that to the media, they seem to live in a bubble and cannot be trusted.

3. sharik

sharik Banned

trust only your own eyes, and even then, after some consideration, never take anything at face value, even if thrusted upon with all the evidence like pics and footages etc, always read between the lines.

4. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

But you do, the majority of europeans on here keep telling people that it is rubbish about no go zones etc, but people will not listen. Unfortunately we have some very vocal panty wetters on here from Europe who talk (*)(*)(*)(*).

5. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't know. Why don't you ask some of those who survived being mown down by that lorry loaded with steel girders on the promenade in Nice? Not that there were many survivors of that, I wouldn't imagine. Or who survived the WTO and the London 7/7 atrocities.

6. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think it’s a combination of things but communications technology and a “shrinking world” are a key part. In the era you’re talking about, people in the UK wouldn’t actually get much news from the rest of Europe, even relating to major events. They’d be reported but not to anything like the scale and scope of coverage they get now. The incidents would also feel more distant because Europe was still psychologically a long way away. Today we can and do get massive coverage of pretty much anything that happens across the world, especially Europe, almost as extensively covered as national news is. We’re effectively and psychologically closer (even considering Brexit) – you can now get from London to Paris as quickly as you can from London to Edinburgh for example.

I think another element is the concept of a shared enemy. The terrorist threads in the past were often regional. The British wouldn’t have much political buy-in to reports of Basque attacks in Spain just as Spaniards wouldn’t have as much with IRA attacks in the UK. Islamic terrorism is essentially the same threat to us all so an attack in Spain, France or Germany will feel more as an attack on “us”.

7. Thingamabob

Thingamabob Well-Known Member Past Donor

Because NATO is getting larger all around us. We can hardly breath.

[​IMG]

8. see you next tuesday

Buts thats individuals i'm talking about the wider population.

There are less terrorists and less dead people by terrorism yet we seemed more frightened now than in the 70's and 80's when we were blown up in our pubs, places of work, shopping centre and our politicians were blown up as were members of the royal family and soldiers.

Fast forward to the 00's and we have 50 dead from a couple of trains and a bus and 2 blokes driving a jeep into a Scottish airport that failed to blow up and we're running about like headless chickens. I guess i understand it with younger people but not in people over 45.

i think we've just become stupid, weak and easily frightened which i think is a shame.

If you want to talk specific acts of terrorism then i'll see your WTO & 7/7 and I'll raise you madrid in 2004 & Enniskillen in 1987...or is this like top trumps where you are going to play body count?

9. truth and justice

truth and justice Well-Known Member

Yes, in the 1970's we on mainland England were regularly being bombed somewhere but we did not let it effect our lives. As a pre-teen several times I had been in a location where a bomb threat phone call had been received and we all just casually left the building - at one one it was at a lego building competition at a guildhall. My city had a large Irish population but we did not blame them. People now are just too easily manipulated and believe articles that agree with their fears

10. see you next tuesday

Agree 100% mate.

11. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Lol! Europe is safer than what downtown Damascus? I'd like to see the crime statistics in those refugee camps. They still burning cars in France on the weekends for fun?

12. see you next tuesday

No mate - europe is safer now than europe was in the 1970's - didn't you read anything?

Yes europe is safer than Damascus but that's because damascus in in war torn syria and not somewhere near the french Rivera.

Its quite simple really - 30 years ago, europe has more terrorism and death by terrorism than it does today.

We've become stupid, gullible and easily frightened.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure about burning cars in France although i did see a burning car in my local town a few weeks back, does that count?...after all, we are still a part of europe at the moment!

13. lemmiwinx

Unhappy immigrants burn cars in France because it makes them feel better. Plus it brings out the hardcore party people.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/766635/Paris-riots-theo-immigration-violence-Aulnay-Sous-Bois

14. see you next tuesday

I think its partly down to the need to keep warm...a torched car keeps a nice warm glow for hours.

MMMmmmmm car BBQ :0)

15. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Just your opinion or can you document this assertion?

16. lemmiwinx

Sad fact is Muslims only discovered fire in the middle ages but they've been burning stuff to the ground ever since.

17. Crawdadr

Crawdadr Well-Known Member

Wow you are clueless about history.

18. lemmiwinx

It was meant to be metaphorical alluding to Muslims enslaving every culture they encounter. If you don't want to submit to Islam you need to keep a safe distance.

19. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

Could you name me a European country that has been enslaved by Muslims?

You should look at the Orange Marches if you want to know about riots and car burning in Europe.

20. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Well-Known Member

We seem to be of an age. What did you perceive in the 70s? Ireland? Things have got vastly worse. The IRA was a flea on the back of the elephant of Islamic terrorism.

21. Thingamabob

And in Sweden too. It's not reported very often but it happens. I know because I often take bus number 8 that passes through Kroksbäck. You can see burned out cars on Mondays or burned tarmac with gobs of melted rubber where a parked car once stood. It's good to see that these b'stards from the Arab world are enjoying themselves. I should hate to think that they came this far north only to be bored.

KROKSBÄCK:
    https://images-9.svd.se/v2/images/e0bdd7e3-fa73-4e7c-9bb6-5eca9ddfed08?q=70&w=1200&d285ced6

22. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Maybe you have that impression because you're safe and secure in a predominantly white affluent suburb, far away from the "diversity" you claim to love?

23. lemmiwinx

Not just Sweden it's everywhere. And it's never reported for what it is, just bunch of malcontents letting off a little steam. These aren't the jihadis you're looking for.

24. Thingamabob

Ethnic Diversity in MALMÖ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVEN POLICE CARS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Thingamabob

You must be reading the Swedish newspapers! That is exactly what they wrote!