air travel question

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Troianii, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was looking at ticket prices for a vacation. I found a ticket from Boston to Vilnius (Lithuania) for $500, departing February 24th and starting return flight March 2nd, each way with a roughly 24hr layover in Istanbul. I wouldn't mind just staying in Istanbul, so I looked for prices just from Boston to Istanbul on the same days, but the prices are $123 more to not fly to Lithuania. If I get the ticket to Lithuania, but just stay in Istanbul, will I be able to just stay in Istanbul and fly back? Or will missing my flight to Lithuania cause me to lose my return flight from Istanbul to Boston?

2. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think the bar code on the ticket would require both locations scanned (Lithuania and Istanbul). However I'm no expert. I would think they would require it to be scanned to prevent such scenarios.

3. ArmySoldier

Haha actually just spoke to my friend who is the travel manager for our unit.

There's a website that looks out for people that try and pull this off. It's called Skip lag. Also, if an airline sees that you did not make your final destination they will cancel the return (if it's a one-way ticket).

4. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

yeah, found out with more searching after posting this. If you miss one leg of the itinerary, they cancel the rest.

It seems real weird, doesn't it? It's cheaper to take the same exact flights to and from Istanbul AND flights to and from Lithuania, then it is to take just the flights to and from Istanbul. Just odd.

I just hate moving about more than I have to, but I found the full itinerary (ultimately to Lithuania) for even less ($476), so I may go ahead and do it at that price. I highly recommend skyscanner to anyone flying - I often find rates there for less than any other site.

5. ArmySoldier

I never understood pricing for airlines. I found a 99 dollar round trip flight from Boston to Puerto Rico in summer time.