How do you logically justify owning a gun for self defense?

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Galileo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Galileo

Galileo Well-Known Member

How can owning a gun be a good option for self defense when it increases your overall chances of being murdered? It seems like it's accomplishing the opposite of the purpose that you bought it for. It's supposed to decrease your chances of being a victim not increase them. So it seems like deciding to buy a gun for self defense is an illogical choice to make. Maybe guns owners just want the illusion of security.

2. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

Source citation needed for the above bolded claim.

To be fair we would need data on how many lives are saved because a law abiding civilian was armed vs how many armed law abiding civilians were killed.

3. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

4. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

It doesn't increase your overall chances of murder.

upside222 likes this.
  5. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

You do not need to justify owning a gun the 2nd amendment give us that right.

PeoplesRepublicOfMe likes this.
  6. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

Gun control people equate "gun death" to murder. I will agree that there is a greater chance of a gun death in a place where the victim has a gun.

Gun control types expect you to put yourself and your family at the mercy of armed robbers. They just hope your wife and daughters aren't attractive. That would ruin the optics of their argument.

7. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Understand they add the death of the Orlando shooter by the police as a "gun death."

8. JakeJ

No it doesn't. Maybe you calculate your life and make your decisions by the odds meaning you take the easiest path in career and life possible - but then probably also complain how unfair life is. Odds are if you start a business it will fail. Odds are if you marry it will end in divorce. Odds are you will be in an automobile accident - overwhelming the greatest cause of violent death and injury in the USA. Therefore, I gather 1.) you would never try a business, 2.) you will never marry or have a family and 3.) you will never drive or ride in a car. But that is ONLY if there is intellectual integrity in my OP and it instead just isn't a rant against guns.

Owning a gun does not increase MY chances of being murdered. However, it may well increase your odds of being murdered. Don't know much about you.

upside222 and Texan like this.
  9. JakeJ

The DOJ has estimated that 1 million felonies, 500,000 home invasions and 250,000 rapes are prevented per year by firearm ownership - for which rarely a shot was fired.

An innocent person is 6 times more likely to be shot and killed by police than by an armed civilian citizen.

You NEVER see any concerns for the victims of violent crimes by anti-gunners - only concerns for the criminals.

10. JakeJ

Here is an example from my life of how guns prevent anyone getting hurt.

Late night on a very cold evening I in a new expensive car dressed in a formal suit and overcoat, I found 5 young men forming a half circle around me, my back towards my car. One of the said in a demanding voice: "Hey man, you got any money?"

Recognizing this a rough part of town,in my gloved hand I had a tiny 5 shot 22 magnum - so small it couldn't be easily noticed. I responded: "What I have is this little 22 magnum. It only holds 5 bullets but I figure is the size of the bullet not the gun that matters. Hey, what a coincidence. 5 bullets. 5 of you."

He said "that's cool" as all five backed away.

No one got hurt because of that miniature little revolver. THAT example is the PRIMARY way a handgun protects people. Merely having it.

It is the potential victim merely having a gun that prevents crime and violence 99% of the time. In every interview of criminals in prison for break-ins and burglaries, they all make it very clear they more fear coming across someone at home with a gun than the police showing up. In robbery, they most fear the victim might have a gun. They more fear citizens with guns than police with guns.

There are so many assaults, robberies and rapes on the streets most don't even make 1 paragraph in the newspaper. Even murder in urban areas is only a back page few paragraphs, front page in smaller cities. In this small city will be newspaper stories of a home-invasions, extremely violent assault in those invasions, invasion rapes and occasional murders in those invasions, and even more stories of people attacked on the street. Occasionally, the story of an invasion tells of the resident having a firearm - and for those the resident has NEVER been harmed. However, sometimes the invader is shot, usually not fatally.

Here is a story I have NEVER read anywhere: A person openly carrying was assaulted, robbed, raped or murdered. Murders every day. Rapes every day. Assaults and robberies every day. Never against someone seen wearing a handgun. THAT is what tells the story.

In-home deaths from suicide or domestic violence with a gun are irrelevant to the gun debate because if a gun is not available other weapons or means are available instead.

Most people will never need a firearm for home defense just like most people won't be in such a serious accident they needed to wear a seat belt. But for those who do find themselves in a situation needing a gun? They would trade everything they have and every dollar they have to have a gun at that moment.

11. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, in case the other fellow brings a knife, my gun trumps him.

12. usfan

usfan Banned

logically?
    Pretty simple.

If i have a weapon on my person, if i am attacked by another party, i have an equalizer, or a deterrence. I can protect myself & my loved ones if needed.

I have never needed to use said firearm, but it is better to have it & not need it, than need it & not have it.

I do not believe the phony narrative of people being shot by the guns they carry. I have never shot myself, or anyone else, & i have handled firearms for 50+ yrs.

13. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Because I'm not a snowflake. BTW what makes you think it increase my chances of being murdered? Got anything on that?

14. kgeiger002

kgeiger002 Active Member Past Donor

Thanks for being worried about me and my family. But in the future do not concern yourself with our well being. I have that covered.

15. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

How do you logically justify owning a gun for self defense?

Because I am a free, rational, adult.

..mic drop

/thread

16. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

Except for the fact that there is simply no evidence, quite literally none, that conclusively proves owning a firearm increases the chances of someone being the victim of a violent crime, or otherwise murdered, compared to someone else in the exact same circumstances who does not have a firearm. There is supposition, but there is no actual evidence.

There is, however, evidence that owning and carrying a firearm decreases the odds of being a helpless victim who must rely on the mercy of their attacker to come out alive and unharmed. The following threads illustrate such.

http://www.politicalforum.com/gun-control/438886-2016-what-armed-self-defense-looks-like.html

http://www.politicalforum.com/gun-control/490357-2017-what-armed-self-defense-looks-like.html

Each documented incident mentioned is readily cited by links to news media confirming it to be accurate.

17. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

owning a pool also increases your chances of drowning.

owning a car also increases your chances of dieing in a car crash.

owning a knife increases your chances of cutting yourself.

owning an oven increases your chances of burning yourself.

upside222 likes this.
  18. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

If you two want a life of bubble wrap, try the safe space aisle at Office Depot.

19. Sage3030

Sage3030 Well-Known Member

I can agree with all that, after all, it's pretty simple statistics. What it isn't though, is a reason to outlaw any of those items including guns.

20. cjm2003ca

cjm2003ca Active Member

come on my property and i will shoot you first and then you can try your gun next...

21. Turtledude

Turtledude Well-Known Member Donor

because your statistics are lies when applied to responsible gun owners who practice constantly like me. also there are people who want to run or ruin our lives if given the chance, and I like the ability to kill those who would harm me or try to enslave me if it comes to that.

- - - Updated - - -

actually the second amendment recognizes a right that the federal government never was supposed to have any power to interfere with in the first place

22. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

Great illustration of the ignorant, delusional fascist dems way of thinking.

In short...if someone is coming at me with a knife...I'd like a gun in my hand. If someone is choking the life out of me...I'd like a gun. If someone is taking a baseball bat to my head...I'd like a gun. If someone has a gun and is going to kill me...they still may kill me if I have a gun. But there is a chance I can defend my self with a gun and no chance I can defend myself without a gun.

Fascist dems, illegals, Mexicans, Muslims, homosexuals, mentally ill transgender people, legalize dope addicts, delusional young anarchists and baby killers will outnumber the reps in the near future and all vote with the fascist dems.

Look at the facts, not wishful thinking.

http://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Religiosity-Graph1-1170x780.png

Break up the USA into 2 unions with separate prez and government while you can....reps and dem states

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613

The white conservative or any color conservative vote is on the decline. Fascist dem base is growing...fast!

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...one-supreme-court-justice-repeal-david-French

The writing is on the proverbial wall reps.

23. Galileo

But people don't generally own those things for the purpose of self-defense.

"Andrew Anglemyer, PhD, MPH and colleagues reviewed 15 published studies comparing the odds of being a victim of suicide or homicide between persons with and without access to firearms. All but one of the 15 studies reviewed reported significantly increased odds of suicide and homicide victimization associated with firearm access. 'To our knowledge,' said Anglemyer, 'this is the first systematic review and meta-analysis to estimate the association between firearm accessibility and suicide or homicide victimization.' "
    https://physiciansnews.com/2014/01/23/guns-at-home-increase-risk-of-death/

Something owned for self-defense should decrease your chances of being a victim not increase them.

24. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

if you own pepper spray your chances of being sprayed with pepper spray increase.

25. Galileo

If pepper spray increased your overall risk of being murdered then I'd definitely be opposed to owning it.