Erik from lower saxony, Germany

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eriewe, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Eriewe

Eriewe New Member Past Donor

Hi,

as i am watching you from across the great ocean of the atlantic i was really wondering why you, the freedom loving americans who are in the heads of most germans still as the liberator from the nazi regime and for the help germany and the rest of europe received because of the marshall plan voted for a man like trump. You who brought democracy to europe decided that a man whose words are deviding america should be president of the us. But after that i watched really a lot of english youtoube videos (rubin report, mtv decoded [negative video-experience example], and interviews with classical liberals, libertarians, and conservatives like ben shapiro) and some news article, i saw that you only basically had two bad options hillary or trump.

sincerely, Erik

Ps i will continue with my text soon :smile:

2. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Welcome. Select several active threads that address your interests and start sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Many here are now as interested in German politics as you are in American politics. Good luck

3. BlackHogGranolaBrown

BlackHogGranolaBrown Banned

I'd imagine some parts of East Germany would have voted Trump over Merkel too, like areas with some notorious anti-Muslim sentiments like Dresden, or Bautzen.

4. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

The media hates Trump so that's all you have to by. He was a successful businessman and a media star until he decided to run for president then all of sudden he's worse than Hitler. Don't believe anything you see and most of what you hear in the media.

5. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Yes, the MSM is Fake News.

6. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

He came in like a storm and upset the 'establishment', something many Americans were fed up with. He came in saying the crazy things that increasingly frustrated Americans were thinking and saying at home, online, in the bar, you name it. People nominated and then elected a representative like themselves, and did so over an opponent who represented a continuation of 0bama, and who was very effectively smeared as 'crooked' and corrupt, and a bigtime liar. Somehow Trump, despite his obvious and unending dishonesty, was able to sell himself as superior to Clinton, I think again because of his 'outsider' status, the views he expressed, and his continual attacks on the 'establishment.' Michael Moore likened voting for him to throwing a brick through the window, and ironically enough, a part of that very speech he gave was appropriated by Trump and his supporters to boost Trump!

7. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Welcome. I did not vote for Trump. I did not vote for Clinton. I voted first for Bernie Sanders and then for Jill Stein. To address your question, I suspect that Trump won because Obama failed to deliver any change and Clinton was even more a status quo Wall Street candidate than Obama.

8. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

Those with any perception know that America was divided long before Donald Trump came on the scene, not only division about the strong disparity about the carrying of firearms but also about other libertarian issues, such as the case for uncontrolled immigration into the US - in other words a left wing-right wing split?

9. Caligula

Caligula Well-Known Member

Hi Eric,

welcome.
    I live in NRW, so we're almost neighbours. You'll soon find out there are a lot of Trump supporters here. If you're here to criticize him, be prepared for flak.
    Wundere dich nicht über die Diskussionskultur hier, sie ist sehr schwarz weiß.

10. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Welcome. What you may not be aware of is that this divide grew under the last administration. The losing opposition did not listen to the people.

11. Eriewe

Yes i have to agree with what some of you before already wrote, america was very devided before. You could have seen it with the black lives matter movement or the social justice warrior at universities who made white privilege up and cutted free speech with things like safe spaces. The Democratic party was surely influenced by this. The American liberal wasnt liberals wasnt anymore going to become and is surely patly now authorian. So i can understand people who didnt want clinton, but trump. But the opinion in Germany was nearly 90% pro Clinton.

12. Eriewe

Also i think the arrogance of some of the american liberal who think only their opinion is right at that social and fiscal conservatism and the "white heterosexual man"

13. Eriewe

Also, with my european point of view the american society is also getting more devided by class. Good educstion at your universuties can be extremely expensive, other than in Germany where education is for free, So students with poor people need to take large loans whee at the same time it gets more important to visit a college because industrial jobs were gone in the last decades. Im not saying that everything in Germany is perfect, actually its far away from that (higher taxes, uncontrolled refugee policy in the last two years), but I think to learn a bit from europe could be good for america.

Hey, i studied in münster until a few weeks ago so maybe we were really neighbours:smile: