Who Will Hold Trump Accountable?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by AtsamattaU, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AtsamattaU

AtsamattaU Well-Known Member

So here we are a month into this new presidency and if anything is clear it's that almost no one is holding Trump and his administration accountable.

• The free press, which most of us rely on to hold our government accountable and expose its lies, has already been dismissed by this government (and those who voted for it) as an "enemy of the American people." Even though I expect the media to continue reporting on Trump and his bumbling antics, it appears such reports will be simply met with an eye-roll and shoulder-shrug (if not much worse).
    • The opposition party, which also normally keeps a check on the party in power, has two problems. One, they are virtually powerless in this government. Not only do they not have representation in the White House or a majority in either house of Congress, but the ruling party also controls 32 of the 50 state legislatures. Second, Trump has made it clear he doesn't care about anything the opposition party has to say. As soon as they criticize him, he says they are only complaining that they lost the election. Some days it seems like he will spend the next four years talking about the election rather than governing.
    • So you might think his supporters will hold him accountable, but they seem to believe whatever he tells them. The problem with that is even if they do believe a media report that Trump has implemented some detrimental policy, if Trump says the policy is "making America great" then they'll believe him. I've never seen people more loyal to a more clueless person.
    • Sometimes Congress holds the president accountable, but this Congress has made a deal with the devil to get its own agenda passed. They're just giddy with the populist support.
    • Finally, the judiciary is the only other Constitutional check on the president's power that's left. So far so good, but Trump has made it well-known that he has little respect for this branch of government. Is it possible that Trump will politicize the public opinion of the judiciary enough to change how our government is supposed to work?

In the end, I hope I'm wrong about his supporters, because they are the only ones who can pressure him to stop glorifying himself and get to work. Are there any other thoughts about how Trump can be held accountable?

2. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

I thought we just did that it was called the presidential election. You want to form a new government every time people get PO'd like they do in Europe?

3. AtsamattaU

Really? You think the only way to let an elected official know he's doing a crappy job is to vote him out when his term is up? That could result in some pretty disastrous policy over four years. Maybe if his supporters let him know he's making a buffoon of himself now, he can restore some dignity to the office and do some good. Or maybe what they wanted all along was a TV personality who would hold campaign rallies where he talks about how great he is?

4. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Elections have consequences, or so our Kenyan Daddy once told us.

5. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

How's that ride in the back of the bus lefties? :grin:

6. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

I guess you could parade around in the street with outrageous signs and break into the local Starbucks but I don't think it's going to help anything.

7. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

IMO the disloyal opposition is doing a bang up job.

Unfortunately, though, the overkill is so excessive that they run the risk of invalidating themselves so early in Trump's term that when a truly important issue arises no one will be listening. At all.

Reread the story of the little boy that cried "wolf". A wolf finally did come, but by then no one would believe him.

8. AtsamattaU

I read a political version of that "wolf" story. In it, political opponents cried that Barack Obama was a foreign invader, a Muslim plant, and that he was going to take away Americans' guns, declare martial law nationwide, and change the Constitution so he could run for a third term. Oh wait, I guess I was just reading right-wing media pieces for the past eight years.

And that's my concern. If Trump supporters are still getting their spin from such media outlets as that, when will they ever consider the possibility that Trump is doing a bad job? Fox News gave Megyn Kelly the boot for standing up to Trump, how much longer do you think Chris Wallace is going to last? That place is going to be a bunch of Sean Hannity clones before long.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I know, Trump disregards public outcries. That's my point. This guy is set up to drive us into the ground and no one will be willing to see it coming because all the indicators are dismissed as "fake news."

9. AtsamattaU

Being wary of a political leader like Trump doesn't make anyone a "lefty" it makes them American. Americans have always been suspicious of leaders who want to consolidate power and make all the decisions on their own (like a monarch or a dictator).

10. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

Because most of them are. I have already stopped listening--and if Trump does, I don't blame him.

The behavior of the left since the election has been to use typical timewaster ploys. Timewasting and money wasting tactics are employed by useless people that don't respect either.

11. Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson Well-Known Member

Unless a majority of The House can agree on Articles of Impeachment, the answer is NOONE.

12. Borat

Borat Banned

Don't worry, we, Trump supporters will hold him accountable..... we of course won't ask him to be compliant with the liberal agenda and all those countless liberal faux outrages and temper tantrums. We won't insist that he maintain Obama's legacy either. But we will keep him 100% accountable for his campaign primises that he gave us, his supporters, and you can take it to the bank.

The system of checks and balances is still in place too and working as intended.

PS What's ironic is that you're bashing "free media" in your post, which is exactly what you denounce Trump for in your OP. I guess it's OK when libs do it.

13. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

To answer your question---The American people will hold trump accountable----with all the GOP's opposition to the protesters ( American citizens),they can't ignore us,keep signing petitions ( after a certain number of signatures required,Congress has to take up the issue on the petition),the press will keep digging until the truth is revealed---
    Look at it this way---it took 900 days before Nixon fessed up----
    Were making headway in just a month----Yeah, for technology----

14. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

So far, so good. He's attempted to or gotten started on as many campaign promises as humanly possible in his first month. Trump's main problem is that he is not used to being attacked with so many accusations, a healthy portion of them false or twisted. He responds openly and and does pull back any punches, when sometimes he'd be better off ignoring the rants and covertly inserting the knife between the ribs of the detractors. He takes his case directly to the people and it infuriates the MSM. By and large they have been put out on the curb like yesterday's trash, they should have seen it coming.

15. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

In our determination to see that the press is FREE, we seem to have left out the word HONEST.

The OPPOSITION PARTY was totally helpless during the first two years of Obama. There were no OPPOSITION votes required to pass Obamacare.

His SUPPORTERS are holding him accountable; they want him to do exactly what he promised to do and do it fast.

The problem with this CONGRESS is that some Republicans have become members of the OPPOSITION PARTY.

The JUDICIARY in this country has lost track of its job to see that the LAW is correctly interpreted against the background of THE CONSTITUTION. The JUDICIARY has decided that they are the instrument of social engineering and the CONSTITUTION be damned.

16. AtsamattaU

What keeps them honest is the open competition, not keeping the Whiner-In-Chief happy.

A fair point: Obama squandered his political capital. But to what end? To help people who couldn't get medical coverage. Hate the policy all you want, the motives were genuine.

Interesting. The only policy statements I heard from him during his campaign were that he wanted to fix immigration and start a trade war with China. Last I checked, his first cut at setting new immigration policy was a colossal failure, and China strong-armed him into adopting the one-China policy. (And I'm not criticizing the one-China policy, I just find it embarrassing that Trump was politically outmaneuvered by Xi Jinping on the issue.)

No, that is how our government is supposed to operate. That is politics and independent thinking. Maybe you have a problem with our form of government?

If you mean that as a general statement then you clearly do have a problem with our form of government. If you're referring to a specific court or case, then it's possible I agree with you. But I do not dismiss the U.S. judiciary writ large as you do. That is un-American.

17. AtsamattaU

You really believe that? Here's a cover of him from 1990:

[​IMG]

The media have been mocking this blowhard since the 1980s, and he cries about it all the time. He used to manipulate the tabloids to publish flattering stories about him, and now he's trying to do that with the grown-up press. Besides, the Republicans were throwing criticism at Obama all day every day - even Trump himself was leading the whole "birther" movement. The problem isn't the criticism, the problem is that he's a rube.

They guy has an unhealthy sense of his own celebrity. The amount of time he spends boasting about his Time Magazine appearances alone should be enough to wake everyone up.

18. AtsamattaU

I hope so. Obama's legacy is secured with or without Trump. I just don't want him making an international fool of the country I love.

Criticizing Obama's policies was fair game, but the stories about his origins and his faith were nothing more than propaganda. It's dishonest to place those propaganda outlets in the same category as legitimate media.

19. Just A Man

Just A Man Well-Known Member

To ask who will hold Trump accountable could only come from someone who has no grasp on current events. Here's a partial list of those watching Trump and complaining loudly -- democrats, some republicans, the media, the illegal immigrants, and liberals. Plus the type people who voted for Trump were fed up with the present politicians so they will also be holding Trump accountable.

20. Borat

Borat Banned

Come on, be intellectually honest, the media onslaught on Trump, lies, smear, distortions, one-sided coverage, insinuations, unsubstantiated rumors, illegally leaked information and not one iota better. The difference is that they are on your side so you approve of their disgusting bias, not that the FNC is bad but Clown News Network, the Hedge-Fund Times, the Swamp Post etc are good and noble.

21. Borat

Borat Banned

The translation of his question is - how to prevent Trump from implementing his campaign promises, how to keep pushing the liberal agenda during Trump's presidency. That's what he is actually concerned about.

Merwen likes this.
  22. Thehumankind

Thehumankind Well-Known Member

The people know if he is lying demagogues will never work when the media is still free to inform and is still protected by the constitution, the people of course can decipher and translate events unfolded. If the people would somehow empower politics against Trump then his eventual demise will come.
    As up to this moment Trump only criticize and devalued the press but did yet suppress their rights to express.

23. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? He's being opposed by 90% of MSM, ALL liberal groups and the Hollywood crowd. Everything he does is being dissected and deemed evil by these clowns. They've attacked him, his wife & his family....and you're asking who will hold HIM accountable? What a frikkin bad joke.
    Trump made promises during the election. He was elected & he's doing what he promised to do, period. If bedding wetting lib's don't like it, tough S--t.

24. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

Nail on head.
    The bed wetters dirtied their diapers when Hillary lost and now want the rest of us to feel bad & change them. (Fat chance).

25. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

Interesting cover story. "Trump's Final Days" .............................27 years ago. Seems that the press and media have been missing the mark printing fake Trump news for quite some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Along with a taller wall we're going to need a bigger diaper hamper. :roflol: