Have You Noticed?.....

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by pwillie, Feb 21, 2017.

1. pwillie

pwillie Active Member Past Donor

....that Jews and Muslims don't eat pork?.....is this a semblance of an ancient split in in the two religion 's?:confusion::omg:

2. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Christians eat pork and they came in between Jews and Muslims. Anyway Mohammad was a brain damaged epilectic who created a hellish religion. I don't care if he ate pork or not.

3. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Muslims will eat a camel but a Jew won't.

4. Swensson

Swensson Devil's advocate

Well, they're both Abrahamic religions. Pork eating is mentioned in Leviticus, so it's not surprising that that turns up in both those religions.

5. The Wyrd of Gawd

According to the Bible it's an abomination to eat pork and it's better to die than to eat it. But it's OK to eat one's children if he's hungry.

6. Swensson

Well, there is the Jesus line:
    There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.
    Mark 7:15

I'm not sure I understand the line about eating pork and abomination, I assume you refer to Isaiah 66:17.

7. Latherty

Latherty Well-Known Member

So criminalizing drugs is un-Christian?

8. Swensson

Nah, I think it just doesn't defile you. I'm sure there are different interpretations though.

9. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

A lot of the people depicted in the OP were shepherds so I can’t help wondering if the whole not eating pork thing was just cunning marketing. :cool:

10. pwillie

pwillie Active Member Past Donor

...well, I sell fish , so I guess i'm clean?....nothin like a good smoked mullet....my point was nothing about the bible but the mere fact that even a hog can't separate the Jewish and Muslim religion's....

11. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

[video=youtube;teBzetVsiQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBzetVsiQM[/video]

:cool:

12. trevorw2539

trevorw2539 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ancient civilisations in general did not eat pork. They had learnt by experience that pigs and other animals that rooted the ground picked up all sorts of worms, germs etc. Today we can deal with these things thanks to science. The same applied to shellfish and fish without scales. Shellfish were found rivers and on shores where, without modern sewage systems, sewage from towns and cities polluted the waters. Fish without scales feed off the seashore bed too. Most regulations were founded on good reasons - not religious.

13. The Wyrd of Gawd

You have to read the fairy tale as a whole.

Deuteronomy 14:7-8 (NKJV) = "7 Nevertheless, of those that chew the cud or have cloven hooves, you shall not eat, such as these: the camel, the hare, and the rock hyrax; for they chew the cud but do not have cloven hooves; they are unclean for you. 8 Also the swine is unclean for you, because it has cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud; you shall not eat their flesh or touch their dead carcasses."

Leviticus chapter 11 (KJV) = https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+11&version=KJV

There's a whole shipload of synonyms you can use to convey the meanings of "unclean" and "abomination". http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/abomination/1 Any of them can be substituted without changing the meaning of the prohibition.

The surrounding people ate just about all of those animals. The list was developed as a way to separate the Israelites from their habits in compliance with the First Commandment in Exodus 34:11-16. Since the people had to eat something they decided to eat the most appealing on the menu.

14. Swensson

What do you base the idea that you can substitute things without changing the meaning from? Old testament law has some quite intricate interplays between prohibition, uncleanliness, sin and other concepts. I'm not sure where abomination fits into that.

15. trevorw2539

trevorw2539 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Wyrd quote.
    Since the people had to eat something they decided to eat the most appealing on the menu.

No they didn't. Long before the OT was written in the 7th century on other civilisations ignored many of the foods for the reasons stated. They'd learnt the problems. The scribes were simply copying these civilisations. .

16. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

We have seen two religions arise in America, the Mormons and the Scientologists. You can know about how they arose and no doubt this happened in the middle east when an arab wanted to add to the arab indentity by creating their own religion, which by the way, was unlike the religions of peace, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity. Islam began in conquest, its founder and his armies killing their enemies, and it became a reason to spread, which it did, into Europe. Before being pushed back.

The reason islam will be hard to reform is because Christianity had to only listen to Christ's teaching and do what the told them to do, which they had not been doing . But if moslems listen their founder, they have to subdue the infidels.
    Mohammed was just another mad power hungry sociopath, from a long line of them. He created his own religion, the only true one.

We got a wild hog problem in the south. Let us round them up and send em the middle east to feed their poor. This is how you change islam. Make them use common sense, and it might create new habits with using common sense.

17. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

We have indeed seen two religions arise in America. If someone knows how to stop it please let the rest of us know.

18. The Wyrd of Gawd

There are people in India who eat corpses from the Ganges River.

19. The Wyrd of Gawd

You do realize that all of the words that we read in the Bible are English words, most from the Middle Ages. And since the Bible was written by the English we can easily substitute synonyms without altering the meaning of the stories.

20. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

For a number of years the Prophet Muhammad, (peace be upon him), actually observed the Jewish Sabbath and did not stop doing so until he got into a war with the Jews in a certain city.

http://www.ccg.org/weblibs/study-papers/p274.html

This paper looks at the placement of the Sabbath in the texts of the QurÂ’an or Koran.

21. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

Muslims and Christians both have Judaism as their base religion, all three believe in the same God

22. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

looking at the Christian and Jewish history, time is the only cure for fanatics, and they come and go through out history

23. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Christians don't think they need to listen to what God had commanded in the early years.
    Jews and muslims still listen to what god commanded.
    All 3 originate from the god of abraham.

24. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Genesis 9:3 ESV / 352 helpful votes

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

It seems this god changed its mind. At one time man could eat everthing.
    Then as things made some sick, god changed his mind and made some foods off limits.

- - - Updated - - -

The constitution won't allow it. Why would anyone want to limit religion?

25. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

Jews - Christians - Muslims all worship the same deity, God the father.