Where would we be without Christ?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by james M, Feb 21, 2017.

1. james M

james M Banned

Probably back at the Roman Coliseum watching captured people being eaten alive to entertain us. Christ introduced the concept of the equality of souls to us and thus changed everything.

Merwen likes this.
  2. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sad to say Romans were still killing slaves long after the death of Christ on the cross. Seems like Jesus didn't achieve the full the success he'd hoped for but I'm sure he's coming back any day now to put things right.

3. dadoalex

dadoalex Well-Known Member Past Donor

Given that religion has slowed the evolution off human thought by a thousand years ...

Either extinct; or
    Travelling the stars

Phyxius and Guno like this.
  4. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Jesus said that he had been sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. He told his disciples to avoid Samaritans and Gentiles. He spoke in parables so that outsiders wouldn't understand his message. He called Gentiles dogs and swine.

5. james M

james M Banned

so almost instantly disappeared with Christ given a million years of slavery or so????

6. james M

james M Banned

care to share how you figured that out? Christianity evolved from Plato and Aristotle providing our direction in life without which we'd be truly lost.

7. james M

james M Banned

wiki:
    The dominant reading is that the two expressions are both referring to the same thing and the same group of people. To Nolland this verse is not an attack on any particular group, but rather a continuation of the theme of God and Mammon begun at Matthew 6:24 and that verse is an attack on wasteful spending. We should put all of our resources to God, as everything is like dogs and pigs compared to Him.[4] Nolland also proposes that the verse might be to balance the other verses, that non-judgmentalism can only go so far and that there are some who should be excluded.[4]

As Morris points out, this verse can also be read as a reasonable limit on evangelism. If a population or individual is not open to Christianity, leave and find a more receptive audience. As Morris points out Jesus was silent before Herod and Peter abandoned the unsympathetic city of Corinth. Fowler links this to the earlier discussion of judgment. One should not judge severely, but there is a point at which any reasonable person will realize that those they are dealing with are dogs and swine.[8]

The alternate interpretation is that dogs and pigs are not metaphors for some group of people, but for the unholy in general. This verse is not about excluding some group from God's teaching, but rather ensuring that those things that are God's are kept holy. Thus the Temple is kept clean, religious meals treated with respect, and holy days honoured and kept separate from the turbulence and impiety of daily life.

8. dadoalex

https://www.britannica.com/event/Middle-Ages

"Middle Ages, the period in European history from the collapse of Roman civilization in the 5th century ce to the period of the Renaissance (variously interpreted as beginning in the 13th, 14th, or 15th century, depending on the region of Europe and on other factors). The term and its conventional meaning were introduced by Italian humanists with invidious intent. The humanists were engaged in a revival of Classical learning and culture, and the notion of a thousand-year period of darkness and ignorance separating them from the ancient Greek and Roman world served to highlight the humanists’ own work and ideals. "

Guno likes this.
  9. james M

james M Banned

care to tell us what your point is???

10. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

That's a good spin on it but it was just racism based upon the First Commandment in Exodus 34:11-16.

11. JET3534

JET3534 Well-Known Member

For some reason I just can't see the post Jesus dark age period as an improvement over Roman civilization. It seems to me that vast improvements in science and technology have been what has improved the human condition over the last 2000 years.

jack4freedom likes this.
  12. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Just having a think about this. Bear with me and please feel free to correct me. Christ taught what we know now as Christian principles His apostles carried the message after his execution by the Romans. Things really took off for Christianity with Constantine. Then there was the Council of Nicea and the business was up and running. Christianity as a doctrine became a mix of Hebraic and Hellenic. At this time I don't think that Plato and particularly Aristotle were brought into Christian thinking. But they did find their way into it courtesy of St Thomas Aquinas who found them (mainly Aristotle I think) in the works of the Islamic scholars at that time. There I have to stop, assailed by my own ignorance. Exactly how Aquinas introduced Aristotle's thinking into Christianity I don't know. Maybe he gave it some logic. I have read Aquinas and as a master of logic he is right up there. But I seem to recall also that this is where scholasticism infected the Church - angels on a pin and all that. But I have read that Aquinas saved Christianity at that time too, so perhaps Aristotelian logic gave it some intellectual rigour. Dunno.

13. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

400 years before Christ, the Buddha was espousing much of what Christ was teaching.
    Christ wasn't that revolutionary.

Guno likes this.
  14. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Some of us are where we are without Christ. You’ll be glad to hear there’s nobody being eaten alive in my office (not literally at least). :cool:

15. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

Since Jesus of Nazareth was likely a made up construct by a small number of Church Fathers to consolidate power from others having some Jesus Vision of some Jewish angel or something they would have just been several Jesus Cults who advanced in the Roman Empire none gaining traction, Mithras worship or something likely would have replaced his place.

Guno likes this.
  16. dadoalex

Thousand years of human thought...lost...due to religion...what part of this is getting past you?

Millions killed for religious reasons
    Human history wiped away for religious reasons
    People thrown in prison, tortured, executed for believing in science

Is any of this sinking in?

No, I know it's not.

Guno likes this.
  17. dadoalex

BINGO!

18. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Where are the buddahists, hindus, etc, without christ? I think the buddahists and hindus introduced the concepts way before christ.

19. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

What are you smoking?
    Or can you elaborate?
    Christianity evolved from Saul the persecutor, renamed Paul. At least the bulk of it. Some came from Christ himself. And some came from cultures before.

20. yardmeat

yardmeat Well-Known Member

You are off by over one thousand years. Killing slaves did not "instantly disappear" with Jesus. You are thinking of the Enlightenment.

21. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

What if people didn't believe in magical sky gods? We would have far fewer seriously screwed up people.

Guno likes this.
  22. PrincipleInvestment

PrincipleInvestment Well-Known Member

Of course Rome shared all it's advancements as it spread Christianity all over the known world, at the point of a spear.

23. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

This should be the shortest thread ever:
    • Post #1 A question: Where would we be without Christ?
    • Post #1 An answer: Probably back at the Roman Coliseum.

Asked and answered.
    Done.
    Nothing more to see here.

24. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

The thousand years between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Renaissance when the Catholic Church ruled Europe - also known as the Dark Ages...

25. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

Without Christ, we'd be either Jewish or Muslim.

Fun times.