Why is there a gay couple?

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Wildjoker5, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

Ok, no bashing homosexuals here, this is purely about scientific reasoning.
    [video]https://youtu.be/XZ0Rx4aqWr0[/video]
    So, my question is, since these people in the future are going to colonize another planet, and they make no reference to storage or other people on the ship, why in the hell is there a gay guy couple? What the hell? Is it just typical gay mafia of Hollywood pushing the normalization of homosexuality, or is it satire that in the future, SJWs have pushed the narrative so far, that they will ignore science completely for "inclusion" of everyone? I would understand multiple gay women partners to one gay male partners, that at least is scientifically feasible to procreate and widen the gene pool for a good colonization. This movie has a dozen or so people looking to move to another planet, why do they need to have a gay guy couple in the movie? Not everything needs a gay couple for the show.

2. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

Someone has to be in charge of the fabulous window treatments and inter-stellar fashion.

3. Wildjoker5

Its like sending someone there that is in love with the android, you wont get anything out of that relationship.

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ridley Scott makes awesome movies. I am not sure I need to see Alien 2.

5. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

Sure, Obama and Hollywood want mentally ill homosexuals / trans people looked on as normal and wholesome as apple pie. Most of the people just went along to get along and accepted a steady diet of homosexuality force fed them from Obama. It is time to speak up that homosexuals are not the cuddle bunny, wholesome people the libs / dems make them out to be.

Obama and his pal Rohm were both said to be closet homosexuals. People always throw out Obama had kids so could not be a homosexual. So what? Many homosexuals have kids to try and look normal. C'mon, would any hetero guy promote such a homosexual loving agenda or bath the Whitehouse in the flag of the homosexuals?

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150626213815-rainbow-white-house-super-169.jpg

I'd tell any protestors that will carry a sign or make some stickers to put a photo of 2 butt(*)(*)(*)(*)ing homosexuals with a small photo of Obama over the glory hole on your sign. The caption can be 'Yes we can...queerify America"

6. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

If you say so.

That crew isn't anywhere close to being large enough to generate a natural self-sustaining population even if they were suitably gender balanced (which it's also not - not enough women). Also, just because two of the men are in a homosexual relationship wouldn't prevent them from providing sperm (one way or another) for procreation. If anything having "natural" gay relationships would make the population management that would be necessary easier. :)

Whatever the plot background is meant to be here, it can't realistically be that the crew of that ship alone would seed a full colony. Maybe they have materials on board that aren't mentioned, maybe there is the intention to send subsequent ships, maybe it's just really badly written (like it's predecessor :( ). Regardless, "scientific reasoning" doesn't make the gay relationship an logical issue.

Like it or not, homosexuality is normal. In any large enough cross-section of the population, some people will be gay (or indeed bisexual). Any group of people in that kind of environment are going to end up with some romantic and/or sexual relationships. If anything never depicting any same-sex relationships would be the abnormal option. Statistically, the Alien franchise is probably due (as long as we ignore the obvious electricity between Ripley and the Alien Queen :cool: ).

7. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

They need somebody to change their diapers. These people charged with populating the new planet in this clip seem very old for that particular job.

8. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

Sure you will. Short circuit and a meltdown.

9. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

Its clearly some kind of survey and research group out doing deep space activities so skill sets and crew moral were important so a gay couple would be fine if they brought the needed skills to the ship. A large colonization ship might have some gay couples maybe one per hundred that would not harm reproduction in any meaningful way but if they had vital colonization skills they would be important.

10. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

Asinine post on your part.

Gay men can be perfectly capable of impregnating females. End of thread.

11. Just_a_Citizen

Just_a_Citizen Well-Known Member Past Donor

12. crank

crank Well-Known Member

It pisses me off royally when token gays are used today, the same way token blacks were in the 1970s. It's so clumsy and overt, and almost always very unlikely. It helps nothing and no one. Even Buffy didn't escape the curse.

13. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

haters would not add anything that is for sure, everyone would need to get along, regardless of gender or beliefs...

14. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

No, this is radical Hollywood liberalism throwing its gay agenda into something that has no call for it.

A mission for colonizing a planet on the outer reaches of the galaxy would simply not include a homosexual couple ...unless ...it were a homosexual female couple who agreed to birth children none the less.

Hollywood halfwits just wanted an excuse to push to homos in our faces.

Funny part is...

...when humans do get around to colonizing other planets...

...gays wont be going.

Neither will Blacks, Browns, Muslims...

...or Whites.

See by that time the only remaining entity capable of space exploration will be some future colonization of Asian countries.

15. Wildjoker5

I did actually acknowledge that already. But more guys than gals is not a logical decision since its the women who get pregnant and carry the babies. 1 woman to 50 guys will die much faster than 1 guy to 50 women.

16. tkolter

I did some checking the gay couple is the CAPTAIN and his HUSBAND, since its very likely a corporate vessel and the chosen commander is gay its very likely the husband is along in some ships capacity because the Captain is and I would guess the corporations tend to give valued employees of importance such as their ships officers latitudes others wouldn't have. I would think being a ship full of people they sent one of the best officers to captain its not a bulk freighter with ore like the first Alien movie.

17. HonestJoe

You weren’t objecting to the overall gender mix though, you were objecting to the apparent sexual orientation of two individuals on the crew. As has been pointed out, that latter element in itself would be irrelevant to the viability of a colony.

18. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

That sounds quite logical.

Except this is a one way colonization mission, not just a fly from X to Y to X mission.

Think of how a space craft operates.

Nothing, literally nothing, is superfluous ...except for maybe 1 cubic foot of personal items the crew might be bringing with the.

Every nut and bolt is designed for a specific reason with consideration paid for how it will compromise every other nut and bolt on the craft in a thousand different scenarios.

And that's just nuts and bolts.

But I say its pretty clear that the real life considerations about colonization were not a part of the writing process for this movie.

Hollywood wanted gays, they wanted them as main characters, they wanted the characters in command roles, and they didn't really care how that would impact the story of the movie.

Its pathetic, but its common.

I wont pay to see this movie but I'll most likely see it none the less /wink.

19. Wildjoker5

So this statement of mine "I would understand multiple gay women partners to one gay male partners, that at least is scientifically feasible to procreate and widen the gene pool for a good colonization." wasn't me condoning the thought of gay couples, but talking about how stupid the mix of genders on the ship for colonization was with 2 gay GUYS?

20. HonestJoe

No, it was still part of your irrelevant focus on sexual orientation in the fictional context of establishing a sustainable colony as a basis for your objection to the depiction of homosexuals (at least, homosexual men) in film at all. :)

You're also ignoring the fact that even gender balance is irrelevant since a crew of around a dozen couldn't create a sustainable population alone regardless and the rationale I offered for films depicting some homosexual couples in general.

21. Wildjoker5

I agree with your second point. Like I said, 2 gay guys wont adequately support the mission. I don't care how good they are at their job, they will not be able to do the one most very important thing to colonization, reproduce. Yes, I know its fantasy, but you have to make the premise a little bit believable. Even if they are the first crew going to set up and establish the settlement for later ships, it wouldn't make sense.

22. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Are you also married with children?

23. HonestJoe

All a colony would need from men as far as reproduction is concerned would be viable sperm. They'd probably use artificial insemination regardless for reliability and control. Yet again, the sexual orientation of the colonists would be completely irrelevant.

By the way, you've still not addressed my response to your general objection to the depiction of homosexuals in film. :)

24. hoosier88

hoosier88 Well-Known Member

Yah, you need 180 people, male & female, more or less. I've read stories that posit that the women should all be pregnant (& of child-bearing age), if possible. But if the Prometheus universe had cold sleep & some kind of near-light speed drive, plus the autodoc shown - they should be able to either carry extensive tissue banks - including ova, sperm, embryos, & various animals, plant cuttings, etc. Failing that, with the autodoc tech, they can rig up artificial wombs & either use ova & sperm from the crew, or even modify either or both, or work with the resulting embryos. You'd have to keep track of offspring & pairings, of course, so that you don't get inbreeding & associated problems.

If this lot is meant to be the first wave, I would expect the artificial wombs & tissue samples & embryos to already be on board, tested & ready to go. & tissue can be cloned, of course, if you don't mind making copies rather than new genetic combinations. But that could be remedied in the embryos, tweaking the inheritance, editing out undesirable traits, adding in desirable ones. Cosmic ray & other radiation damage might be an issue - but presumably you could fix that in the embryos as well.

Note that in this scenario, you're making big bets on the continuation & sustainability of cryo storage or whatever it is, plus the continuing availability of the computers & cellular-level embryonic manipulation. But yah, if you can maintain your tech base, the purely biological issues to getting sufficient genetic diversity into the succeeding population should be solvable.

25. tkolter

Where does it say that they have many ships that go from A to B and back military, cargo haulers, likely commercial transports its likely an expensive colony ship would have cryo sleeping colonists, a skeleton command and support crew for the ship and the basics to get a colony going they land get the basic colony up with say so many families and maybe drop off a couple basic cargo pods and the main ship comes back to be resupplied. It would be cost effective and most sensible why waste a main ship which is likely a very expensive asset. I will wait to see the ship though if its modular I'm likely right and if not I'm wrong but my guess is the ship is in the essential parts reusable. Which means the Captain and his husband and key crew come back to their point of departure so then if so what would be the issue? He is a very capable command officer with his loving husband doing their work like any ore ship might be set up.