How countries compare

Discussion in 'Economics & Trade' started by Destroyer of illusions, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Destroyer of illusions

Destroyer of illusions Banned

League Table (based on 2016 results) https://expatexplorer.hsbc.com/survey/
    Comparison of life for expats from subscribers Forbes (in 45 countries)

In the first place - Singapore.
    Russia ranked 17th .....
    Britain, the US, France, Japan, Poland .... ...Belgium, Italy - in the ranking is lower than Russia.

[​IMG]

Do not forget that the data - for expats, ie qualified employees, invited companies from abroad (non-migrants)

Most recently on this forum many with arrogance speak about Russia. Do you remember that?
    But I said - look trend. In Russia, despite crisis of 2008, low oil prices, the economic situation improved. EU Economy and the US - became worse.
    But admittedly, very helpful sanctions for Russian.
    Sanctions have helped to create many new jobs, there was a sharp spike in Russian technology, very high growth in agriculture in Russia....etc. Thanks Obama.

What do you think about it?

2. Jeannette

Jeannette Well-Known Member Past Donor

Interesting! I would have liked to see the top countries, I know there's a lot of expats in Hong Kong. I wonder if it heads the list?

As for sanctions, it's the best thing that ever happened to Russia. There was no way that Russia could have cut off trade with the EU to develop its own industries and agriculture unless the other countries made the first move. By them doing so, it gave Vladimir Putin the support of his own people so that he could make Russia self sufficient and do what is the best in the long run.

The fall in oil prices was also beneficial since it lowered the value of the Ruble and gave it a competitive edge over other currencies so that Russia became the largest exporter of wheat in the world. It also made food and other products in Russia cheaper so that the people didn't have to undergo any hardships.

Foolish Europe, by going along with them, cut of their own nose to spite their face. Let's see how long the EU will survive?

3. vis

vis Well-Known Member

From what I see in the shops, I would not say that the food became cheaper than before the sanctions. It became definetely more expensive. Moreover, people in Russia spend now significant parts of their salaries on food, which has not been the case before. On the long term, of course, the sanctions are good for stimulation of own economics. As far as the table show, so far most countries from EU are more attractive than Russia now in terms of work, lifestyle etc.

4. Jeannette

Jeannette Well-Known Member Past Donor

Doesn't the food have to do with the time of the year since Russia wouldn't have as yet, developed its agriculture to the point where it can supply enough vegetable and fruits from hot houses in the winter months? Since the Ruble is low, the imported food would be more expensive.

I read that the Ruble started going up, and it upset the economic minister since they need a low Ruble to be able to balance the budget. Other than that, Russia's main problem is supporting a military that is second only to the US... something they could not have done if they had to import materials and pay out high wages.

Anyway they're doing pretty good considering the threats and obstacles, and Vladimir Putin wants to make Russia self sufficient which it should be. It does have anywhere from 20 to 30% of all the natural resources in the world. What it doesn't have is enough people, and a good climate. Oh well, you can't have everything.:lol:

5. Destroyer of illusions

Food clearly became cheaper. For example potatoes to the sanction cost - 30 rubles. Now it is 8 to 10 rubles. Pork to sanctions cost - 300 rubles a kilo, is now worth the same piece - 250 rubles .... and so on. But the dollar has changed. Certainly imported products more expensive, but they are now replaced by Russian products. For example cheeses. And by the way many foreigners come to Russia to engage in agriculture. For example, I know an Italian - he produces cheese. Very good cheese, but now it is Russian cheese.

But you of course from Germany is better to know about the situation in Russia.:roflol:

6. Destroyer of illusions

Yes. Strengthening of the ruble - it is a problem. Especially given the increase in oil prices. But I hope the central bank will be able to arrest the Russian ruble growth.

7. Destroyer of illusions

[​IMG]

8. vis

vis Well-Known Member

Well, the food consists not only from fruits and vegetables, but also from meat and other products, like milk etc. This should not depend on the time of the year. The Ruble rises not because of very effective Russian economy, but because the prices for oil have been growing for the last 6 months. So here one should be careful about evaluation of the Ruble value.

9. vis

vis Well-Known Member

Common, I travel to Moscow once in a quartal and know what is going on the shops. So you mean there is now deflation in Russia? :grin:
    Here is some data about the dynamics of the prices for the food:
    http://tsenomer.ru/goroda/moscow/
    http://уров...;и.рф/таблица_инфляции.aspx
    Your claimed reduction of prices does not have the background as when the sanctions were imposed, the local manufacturers escaped a competition with the foreign manufacturers.
    Your Italian who produces cheese make an Italian cheese and not Russian as he uses certainly Italian technologies, recipes... In general, cheese in Russia is terrible with the very rare exceptions, but then the cost is the same as the cheese from Switzerland, Netherlands or Italy. In fact, to be involved in agriculture in Russia is much more a headache than in EU, where the farmes get a lot of subsidies so I doubt that there are a lot of foreigners who come to Russia to be a farmer.

10. Destroyer of illusions

You sometimes come to Russia, but I live in Russia. Therefore, I do not need to talk about prices in Russian stores. It looks funny as if I'm going to tell you about the prices in Germany.
    I tell you that the prices of basic food products in Russia are lower.
    It is my observation. Of course, imported food products, such as jamon or cheese made in the EU have become more expensive, With this no one disputes, but fully satisfies us great "basturma" or "Lyagur". And do not worry.

If we talk about cheese, we now have a boom of its production. The shops are many excellent Caucasian cheese. In addition, as I wrote above, many foreigners arrived in Russia and involved in the production of various agricultural products. Including cheeses. No one is starving in Russia. Despite the articles in the Western media.