Meat loaf

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Le Chef, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Le Chef

Le Chef Banned at members request Donor

If I had put "Donald Trump" in the subject line, some might not have read this, but I have heard that meat loaf is one of the President's favorite dishes. Here is the recipe his mother used when he was a child, He raves about it and it does indeed look good, and close, if not identical, to the one my mother followed. I suspect the recipe came from a Betty Crocker cookbook, which women in the 50's were using all over the country.

http://oneforthetable.com/Stories/donald-trump-loves-his-mothers-meatloaf.html

Mr. Trump’s Mother’s Meatloaf:

2 lbs fresh ground beef
    1 Spanish onion (fine dice)
    1 Red bell pepper (fine dice)
    1 Green bell pepper (fine dice)
    2 cloves garlic (minced)
    1 large beefsteak tomato diced fine (remove seeds)
    2 extra large fresh eggs
    2/3 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
    ¼ cup chopped parsley
    2/3 cup of tomato puree
    1/2 tablespoon of salt and pepper

1). In a large sauce pan slowly cook peppers, onion, garlic and tomato until the onions turn translucent and let cool.

2). In a large mixing bowl add ground beef, cooked cool vegetables, eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.

3). Remove the mixture from bowl and place in a 14”x 9” x 2” ceramic baking dish and form into a loaf.

4). Top loaf with tomato puree and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes or until brown and firm.

5). Let the loaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.

No politics here, please.

2. Le Chef

I do wonder if his mother used lean or regular meat. And ground chuck or ground sirloin. Comments on this are particularly welcome.

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

The recipe does sound good, but the one I made while kids were growing up and kids loved it It was hamburger, crushed crackers, egg and a package of dry Lipton's Onion Soup mix.... IIRC. It's been a lot of yrs since I made it and I think I'll make it again soon for family.

4. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

The Trump recipe has too much tomato stuff in it.

I use a large spoonful of Worsterchestershire (sp) sauce, and occasionally, a big blob of horseradish. Sometimes I wrap the loaf around a long, narrow slab of Colby cheese.

5. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

But but but meatloaf is as Americana as cheeseburgers, Winchesters and Harley Davidson's.

Meatloaf is the entree of middle America and the middle class aka deplorables.

Now there seems to be two President Trump meatloaf's recipe's floating around.

6. Le Chef

Interesting you'd mention the cheese. My mother made the Trump recipe for 10 years or so and then made one where the meat was spiraled around a sheet of cheddar. I was ready to hang myself when she announced a "new recipe," as I am conservative and do not like anything "new," but it was a big hit!

I have to disagree with any recipe that has no onion garlic or bellpepper. Just because. No, it's because if there are no vegetables in it it's just a big hamburger. Which is American but wrong, somehow.

Agree on the wooshishshishshishshershire sauce and horseradish. But on the side.

7. Le Chef

Why too much? It's just one tomato in 2 pounds of meat. The puree on top only converts to about 1/8 inch tomato crust.

8. Le Chef

"But but but meatloaf is as Americana as cheeseburgers, Winchesters and Harley Davidsons."

I actually do think a Harley would make me happy, through I'd cruise around on it thinking about that meatloaf and get hit by a big Ford Laramie pickup. That's a pretty American death right there... Worse ways to go, there are!

9. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Classic meatloaf used three meats in equal portions and one used to be able to find them in a single package at the meat counter. My grandmother used these three meats in hers.

Beef
    Pork
    Veal

10. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

This thread's making my mouth water because as a single guy I haven't had a proper meal since my mother died 18 years ago and I live out of tins nowadays. Tried to treat myself to a nice juicy melt-in-the-mouth steak recently like she used to do us, but it came out of the frying pan looking like a shrivelled jivaro shrunken head and I nearly choked to death when a lump got stuck in my throat and I daren't touch steaks again (sniffle)

11. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

It's the tomato crust on the top that makes my skin crawl. When I get meat loaf in a restaurant, I scrape the sauce off. One tomato inside or a can of stewed tomatoes inside is fine.

I'm not a ketchup user, and I don't like tomato sauce or puree. But diced, sliced, or chunked is fine.

12. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

Sounds like my mothers except she crushed corn flakes instead of crackers, and added Half & Half to the mixture.

13. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Since we're talking about recipes, tho't of one of my salads that's a little different from regular salads that my family & friends like.....so will share. It's healthy and filling.....the only thing about it is there's a lot of chopping. What intrigued my family/friends when I told them about it, I heard 'apples and CABBAGE'? They love it........

Chopped head of cabbage

Chopped apples (I use red and green Granny Smith's) I use about 4.

Box of golden raisins. Have used dark, but prefer golden.

Sunflower seeds and other nuts, if you want them. Usually sliced almonds, chopped pecans. Any nut you want, but I don't do spanish peanuts b/c there's hardly any nutrition in them.

Empty Poppy Seed salad dressing in mixture, stir and enjoy.

I guess you could use a different salad dressing, but I've only used Poppy Seed......the last time I made this, I had some cauliflower left over, chopped it up small and tasted fine. I chop up the cabbage, apples and nuts pretty small, but I prefer small.

- - - Updated - - -

Since we're talking about recipes, tho't of one of my salads that's a little different from regular salads that my family & friends like.....so will share. It's healthy and filling.....the only thing about it is there's a lot of chopping. What intrigued my family/friends when I told them about it, I heard 'apples and CABBAGE'? They love it........

Chopped head of cabbage

Chopped apples (I use red and green Granny Smith's) I use about 4.

Box of golden raisins. Have used dark, but prefer golden.

Sunflower seeds and other nuts, if you want them. Usually sliced almonds, chopped pecans. Any nut you want, but I don't do spanish peanuts b/c there's hardly any nutrition in them.

Empty Poppy Seed salad dressing in mixture, stir and enjoy.

I guess you could use a different salad dressing, but I've only used Poppy Seed......the last time I made this, I had some cauliflower left over, chopped it up small and tasted fine. I chop up the cabbage, apples and nuts pretty small, but I prefer small.

14. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I make meatloaf with Lipton onion soup mix, egg, bread crumbs, garlic (minced). I don't even use ketchup or any tomato product. I cook it in a loaf pan but before I cook it, I poke holes in it and pour some brown gravy on top. That's just how my mom made it and how I like it.

15. Le Chef

Well, at least you have fish & chips shops on every corner! I have never had better fried fish than what I got last year near the Tower of London. There are probably local dives near you that are even better.

16. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Good Meat Loaf is a treasure.Great meat Loaf is to Die For.
    Meaning it may be the meal to ask for before heading off to the
    Gas Chamber.Or " Sparky " { Electric Chair }.
    I could easily make the case that the era before we had all these
    Serial Killers we had us a time of Good Eats and Happy Days and
    Real Moms who prepared Real meals with Fresh whole foods.
    So Good Eats goes hand-in-hand with a better Society.
    With the advent of Fast Food and Plastic containers we got us a heap
    of attitudes & wacky dispositions.
    I think what Motivated Harold Bissonette { pronounced Bis-Oh-Nay } was not
    some Orange grove out in Sunny Cal-a-for-ny-aye but rather a good old-fashioned
    Meat Loaf.Which he wasn't gettin' back home.Just a lot of strange looks and
    nagging from his henpecking wife.
    Men and boys need good meat Loafs if for nothing else ... to develop character.
    How can a fellar have character on a steady diet of cruddy eats.
    Imagine Somerset Frisby { Andy Devine } telling his buddies at his General Store
    that his Mom fixed him special a meat loaf every night for sandwiches the next day.
    Now that's how Meat Loaf builds character.
    Is what.

17. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I do that for meatballs. I at least use 2 meats if not 3.

18. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Momma Trump's way is more or less the way my mom made it when she wasn't experimenting with something new. I personally add cheese and creamed spinach to mine and skip the bell peppers. I seldom make meat loaf though. Maybe once a year. I have mixed in veal or ground pork or buffalo with the ground beef.

19. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I can't believe no one has posted this yet. :D

[​IMG]

20. daisydotell

daisydotell Well-Known Member Past Donor

Meatloaf is good, my family loves it. Actually they love anything that I cook for them. :smile:

21. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

My mom did a variation of meatloaf using mackerel, but it irritated her when we called it fishloaf for some reason.

22. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

I'm not a big chip shop fan because chip quality varies a lot from shop to shop, and even when you think you've found a shop that does good chips, they can be good one week and krap the next.
    Also you sometimes have to stand there for 10 minutes or so sweating in the heat waiting for them to fry a new batch, or wait while they cook your fishcake or sausage in batter etc. Meanwhile boisterous drunks are coming into the shop, and by the time you get home with your order you've lost your appetite..:)

23. Foolardi

Sorry Charlie { Starkist Tuna Ad } but that would be closer to a crab cake.
    Depending on the time of the month and irritability factor on your Mom's part.
    Or it was During Lent.
    Where the local Fishmonger was trying to impress someone's Mommy.

24. Le Chef

Okay, sports fans, mother Trump's meat loaf is in my oven. I followed the recipe exactly (though I halved all ingredients). I put a little extra tomato puree on top because I know Dale would have wanted me to!

Results in 50 minutes.

25. Foolardi

There is one thing that definately does not go with Meat Loaf.
    No matter how much one likes mustard,it does not go with meat Loaf.
    Mustard can even go with fish.Or Lamb.But not a Meat Loaf.
    I wonder why that is.