Trump’s National Security Adviser: Avoid Phrase “Radical Islamic Terrorism

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Stunning!

While the previous president was positively pilloried by pundits and our current president for not using the phrase "radical Islamic terrorism" and slight variations of that, we now have a national security advisor saying we should not use that phrase.

Doesn't this fellow know it is important to do so?

Using a bit of logic and reality, McMaster seems to realize that demonizing an entire religion for the actions of a few serves no purpose. Bravo to you good sir for bringing a bit of sensibility into what at times seems to be a haven for bigots.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...er_wants_to_avoid_phrase_radical_islamic.html

al security adviser appears to have a strikingly different view from many in the administration about the link between terrorists and their religion. In the first full staff meeting since taking his new job, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster told National Security Council staff that the phrase “radical Islamic terrorism” wasn’t a helpful label because terrorists are “un-Islamic,” reports the New York Times. McMaster told staff members that the phrase blames “an entire religion” so “he’s not on board,” someone who participated in the meeting told the Guardian.

McMaster’s words are in sharp contrast to the language used by his predecessor, Michael Flynn, and even Trump himself, who frequently criticized President Barack Obama for not using the phrase “radical Islamic terrorism.” During the campaign, Trump also used it as a talking point against Hillary Clinton. “These are radical Islamic terrorists and she won't even mention the word, and nor will President Obama. He won't use the term ‘radical Islamic terrorism’,” Trump said during the Oct. 9 debate at Washington University in St. Louis. “Now, to solve a problem, you have to be able to state what the problem is or at least say the name. She won't say the name and President Obama won't say the name. But the name is there. It's radical Islamic terror.”

2. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Trump should replace the guy within the hour.

3. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks Banned

They don't like the word Radical. They're going with plain old islamic terrorism.

4. Your Best Friend

Your Best Friend Well-Known Member

What part of radical Islamic terrorism can't people understand? Seems like the thing describes itself but some folks stubbornly claim otherwise.

5. Think for myself

You should tell Trump's national security advisor about the importance of such vitriolic language.

6. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

The word "radical" restricts it to a much smaller segment than the phrase "islamic terrorism" which indicates that it's universal. If the intent is to eliminate references to the religion then the Islamic terrorists should be called "activists". Therefore the headline would be "Activists explode car bombs killing 36 infidels".

7. Your Best Friend

I don't think it is "vitriolic" and most Muslims seem to agree as they are always careful to point out that only radical fundamentalist sects are engaged in terrorism and are giving them all a bad name.
    But what do they know? It's just their own religion, after all. When did we all become such overly sensitive sob sisters?

But yeah, someone should tell Trump's new National Security Advisor that he has much better things to worry about and based on his pantywaist quibbling
    I am slightly concerned. I don't recall anyone worrying about calling Germans Nazis in world war II even though not all of them were in the Nazi party.
    How did we ever win that war with such callous disregard for the feelings of others?

8. Think for myself

Oh, does he?

9. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

As I pointed out in another thread.

On the one hand we have McMasters - a man who has actually fought against Muslim extremists and terrorists for years. A man who led 9 American tanks against 80 Iraqi tanks and didn't lose as single one while destroying all the enemy. A man who is respected by both sides of the room for his success in the field ....

And on the other hand we have ... you.

Now who are we to believe? Tough one.

Did you at least stay in a Holiday Inn last night?

10. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Maybe he just means we shouldn't bother calling it radical when every Muslim in that region is operating by the same barbarian doctrine.

11. Daniel Light

Or maybe since McMasters has a history of enlisting locals to help fight successful campaigns, he might just have a better handle on things than the Trump FanBoys.

12. Your Best Friend

McMaster? Yes! He sure does!

Are terrorists "un-Islamic"? Calling them radicals seems to indicate they may not be your garden variety Muslims and they themselves seem to firmly believe they are very Islamic.

It seems good National Security Advisors are hard to find and it's a shame this McMaster fellow is using the failed Bush-Obama playbook that says you will make the crazy people angry if you identify them as they identify themselves.

13. Mircea

Mircea Well-Known Member

So, if we say nice things about them, they'll go away?

Apparently, you and McMasters are from the same fantasy universe.

14. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

looks like Trump is going to lose ANOTHER National Security Advisor.

best three out of three?

15. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

McMaster earned a PhD in history from the University of North Carolina and he is the brainiest guy the Trump administration could find. His predecessor was just a simple military guy without much education, known for fabricating facts about the Islamic world.

16. Your Best Friend

So he was a very good tank commander mopping up against Hussein's less than sterling tank corps. I applaud him for that. Are you familiar with something called "The Peter Principle"?

It seems everyone is agreed that terrorists are rabid fundamentalists and not truly following their religion's dictates except for the terrorists themselves
    who feel they are the only real Muslims around.
    Not calling them, terrorists, Muslims has been a great failure as a strategy and is cowardly on a moral and intellectual level. No wonder you approve.

17. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks Banned

The Trump FanBoys (and girls...don't forget Kellyanne Conway, the first female in history to manage a successful campaign for POTUS)...just won the biggest prize of all.

18. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Lol now that's pretty funny. Good hire!

19. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

Of course McMaster is right, the guy is much more than a general in the army, he has an intellect that most do not. The fact that he is in tune with Obama's position on this does not surprise me one bit. The real question is what happens going forward - he knows he is working for a moron but, like Kelly & Mattis, he is putting country first. We'll see how long the generals can hang in there with a buffoon......

20. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

McMaster is a very smart man, much smarter than Trump.

but of course Trump will fire him cause he has no tolerance for folks disagreeing with him

21. Daniel Light

Read his bio and get back to me on that one ... so far, the only thing I see from your posts is that you're familiar with the "Holiday Inn Know it all" principle.

22. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks Banned

The lion doesn't care about the sheep's feelings.

23. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you are referring to, please explain....

24. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

First one fired, next one turned him down....third one already repudiating his BS...

25. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks Banned

It could be too profound for this exchange.