Is Health a Right?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by bricklayer, Feb 25, 2017.

1. bricklayer

bricklayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Forget about health-care, which is actually sick-care, shouldn't health be a right?

Is it fair that some people are so healthy while so many others, for no fault of their own, are so unhealthy?

Fewer than 1% of 1% of the world's population can complete a marathon, and even fewer can complete a triathlon.
    Why should the top 1% of 1% retain for themselves such a grossly disproportionate degree of health?
    This gross distribution of health is intolerable. We need to ask ourselves, is health a right or not?

2. RedStater

RedStater Active Member Past Donor

I feel the same way about Super Bowl titles.

Why should the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots, Packers, and Giants all have at least four titles....when teams like the Browns, Bengals, Bills, Chargers, Cardinals, Titans, Jaguars, Panthers, Texans, Falcons, Lions, Vikings, and Eagles all have none?

It's just not "fair"!

What's that you say? Not a valid comparison because, in sports, there are winners and losers?

How is that different from life, in general?

How boring would the forest look if all the trees were kept equal with axes and saws?

3. bricklayer

position

4. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

In a Free and Open Society afforded a bill of rights ...One's Health
    is like one's Faith.It is entirely up to the individual.A Parent may set some
    kind of ground rules.So can a Grade School or High School coach.
    But for an Adult it is a matter of Freedom to Chose.Employers may have
    standards of health requirements.Just like a Dress Code.McDonald Managers are still
    forbidden to have face hair like beards.A moustache has to be kept trimmed as
    in No handlebar moustaches.Also McDonalds had rules governing Tattoo's on
    hands of arms.Could not work the counter with Tattoos on one's hands/wrists.
    Just like one is denied service if barefoot or no shirt.
    There is no SAT type qualification for Health as getting into College.

5. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Healthcare should be a right. Health is often left up to chance.....but you can stack the odds in your favor

6. bricklayer

A right is a personal responsibility. Healthcare is a right. Sick-care is also a right. Healthcare and sick-care both extend from the individual's authority over and responsibility for them self, which in turn extends from the individual's ownership of them self.

Redefining healthcare and sick-care as entitlements, rather than rights, and imposing them upon others, by force, even by force of law, is a usurpation of self-possession. Defense against the usurpation of self-possession is the only justification for the use of force between equals. Indeed, the defense against usurpation of self-possession is the only justification for government (the legal use of force).

7. Stevew

Stevew Well-Known Member

A "right" is not a "right" when it requires someone else to perform an act or job.

"Rights are bestowed by our creator."

Steve

8. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Not in this country. Voting, primary education and emergency medical care are all rights

- - - Updated - - -

Not in this country. Voting, primary education and emergency medical care are all rights

9. Stevew

Stevew Well-Known Member

You are talking about rights in States, not in the Constitution. I don't know why I bother with this crap.

Steve

10. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Rights guaranteed to every American. Yes....you should stop. Lol

11. Stevew

Stevew Well-Known Member

NO ONE can GUARANTEE someone will fix you or give you healthcare. When that happens, then the same government can ALSO take it away from you. That means it isn't a right.

Steve

12. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Of course you can. We also guarantee the right of public education.....can you take it away from me? Lol

13. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Well-Known Member

How about the right to a trial by jury of ones peers, doesn't that require someone else to perform an act?

14. Stevew

Stevew Well-Known Member

You should ask your educators for your money back. They did a VERY POOR JOB of educating you. LOL

Steve

15. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

You got nothing.....how very.....conservative. Lol

16. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Well-Known Member

Health is a right in so much as you can do nothing to take it away from me as long as I obey the law of the land.

17. CCitizen

CCitizen Well-Known Member

Agree 100%.

18. CCitizen

I have Moderate Autism and Moderate Depression. I have extraordinary abilities -- I can tie my shoes, I can express my opinions, I can walk, I can work 10 hours a week. People with Severe Autism and Severe Depression do not have such abilities.

19. Publius_Bob

Publius_Bob Active Member

Government mandates primary public education when education should be privatized.

Voting rights can be taken away by the government in certain circumstances via felony disenfranchisement.

Doctors and hospitals are forced by the government to provide medical services in certain circumstances to anyone.

The common theme is that if the government grants a man-made right to someone, government can also take it away.

ALL LIVES MATTER ∴ UNBORN LIVES MATTER

20. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Uh......who cares?

21. bricklayer

22. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

Bunk.

The Constitution:

Section 8
    "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

This right is the basis of copyright and patent laws. To secure this right it is necessary for other to perform and act and you have to pay money to secure such rights.

Section 9
    "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."

According to this Constitutional provision, jailed people may require their jailer to justify their imprisonment to a court. President Abraham Lincoln’s suspension of this right during the Civil War met with strong opposition. This is not free.

Article III
    Section 2
    "The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed."

In accordance with this, anyone accused of a crime has a right to a trial by jury, except in the case of impeachments. This right was further defined and strengthened by the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th amendments. This doesn't fit your "definition".

Amendment VI
    "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed"

You didn't check the Constitution.

23. CCitizen

Thank you very much! Most humans have enough faults, but according to Judaism only very few -- less then one in several thousand will suffer eternally.