Affirmative Action Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by mbk734, Feb 26, 2017.

1. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

I notice many more black nominees this year thanks to all the whining last year. The problem with affirmative action is that you don't know whether the recipient earned it and deserves it or not. Black people are overrepresented in athletics and music so now they're gunning for Hollywood. This gives talented black actors a bad name.

ForumPoster likes this.
  2. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why does anyone care who private, self congratulatory awards go to?

3. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Wellllllllllll to be fair about this, as I understand it fewer and fewer people are going to movies that are not pre-declared to become blockbusters. Or in other words, since Hollywood has long ago substituted flashy special effects for actual plotting and character-development people are no longer all that interested anymore anyway. So going Wide Full Open in regards to Affirmative Action and acting shouldn't make any difference considering that mostly the quality has already been dropped. People shouldn't notice any difference whatsoever in the end product.

4. crank

crank Well-Known Member

The rich white folk at the head of the Academy, who don't actually mix with the coloured folk if they can avoid it (and they can avoid it ... money makes it easy), are playing at egalitarianism - because the marketing pundits said it would ensure the right sort of bums on seats. Right sort being those who part with the most cinema dollars ... liberals.

5. Soupnazi

Soupnazi Well-Known Member

There was a time when these wards actually meant something. Long ago.

These days it is just the biggest of the endless awards for hollywood somebodies who want to be congratulated for...something.

It will be interesting to watch the videos of the trump bashing which will go on but I'll catch that later on you tube or something.

What I find most interesting is how prophetic the movie Team America World Police has become. The celebrity activism is LITERALLY spot on from that goofy movie.

6. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think that today, with the advent of big screen T.V.s etc. movies with plotting and character development don't need the big silver screen. That being said, I do enjoy going to those 3-D and those 'X' movies with the monster sound and the extra large screen. It's like going on an amusement park ride.

7. Gatewood

Yep, but then again that's pretty much what most blockbuster movies feature nowadays; over the top special effects and exciting flash and trash. Mega expensive to make and with all the enduring substance and meaning of a Smurf fight. So, again, the quality can't suffer, can it?

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed. Well spotted.

8. Gatewood

Oh yes, obviously. But what it amounts to is, "Isn't that great acting? I mean look at the skin tone of that actor or actress. We are now gloriously P.C. and It doesn't get any better than that!" It becomes just another variation of The Emperor's New Clothes with nobody daring to say, "Um . . . actually I would prefer good acting as the primary criteria."

9. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

Yes actors seem to think their political views are important. As long as they keep getting the opportunity to speak, they will voice their opinions. They should know that they are alienating half their audience however.

Yes movies and music have gone downhill. But that still doesn't make affirmative action right. I think you're right that people don't take the Oscars seriously anymore. I feel like it's kind of disrespectful to all the great actors and directors before Hollywood got sleazy. I could say the same about the Grammy's.

My point is that affirmative action is wrong whether it's Medical School or the Oscars. The Oscars used to be prestigious and this type of stuff makes people not even watch the show.

10. Raised Right

Raised Right Member

That is an interesting point.

By that logic, do you care whether or not private business owners choose to refuse to serve others on any grounds? Should discrimination be legalized or shouldn't it?

11. Greystone

Greystone Member

Don't watch the Oscars. It's an obscene public display of narcissism.

I don't understand why people feel compelled to function as a spectator to an event where an exclusive and pretentious clique hands out statuettes for things they liked in the world of film during the previous year. As if this wasn't bad enough we are graced with the political musings of these self-important dopes who are keen to lecture the American people on topics A-Z when they live the most luxurious and insulated lifestyles imaginable, far away from the problems and concerns of regular people. When you try to lecture the public on social justice and the need for the public to aid the underprivileged, while at the same time flaunting an ensemble on the red carpet that is worth more than what average people can hope to make in years of work, pardon me for viewing you as an imbecile.

12. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

I guess just the chance that the black actors deserve it couldn't be the case. Which movie did Denzel Washington get an Oscar for again?

13. Gatewood

Nobody will be sure anymore since essentially Hollywood has just established a racial/ethnic minority quota system. Is the reward REALLY for great acting or simply for showing up with the Politically Correct skin tone or otherwise leftist approved background?

14. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

...................or did they finally start voting on the best acting and not just on who is in the inner circle.

15. Think for myself

Which goes under the false premise that this award is somehow discrinatory. I think a comport be would be if a private go up was more apt to give white people an award for movies, and I would say I do not give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about that either.

16. monkrules

monkrules Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing as soon as all the whining began about black actors not being nominated. After all, it couldn't be that their acting, for the last two years simply wasn't Oscar-worthy. Lol. So the whining went on, and on, and on....

It was then that I thought a whole NEW category of Oscar should be created: It should be called the "Affirmative Action Leroy." They could hand them out like breath mints. Everyone could have a Leroy, whether they deserve one or not. After all, a work's merit should never be considered; only the actor's skin color.

Affirmative Action strikes again. Lowering standards in yet another field.

17. Think for myself

Wow. Damn auto correct.

I think a comparable would be if a private group was more apt to give white people an ward for movies, I would not give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about that either.

18. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Does anyone care who privately baked cakes go to?

19. Think for myself

Is that the same thing or totally different? I say totally different, with actual laws that seem to apply.

20. Gatewood

No, probably not. The irony, though, is that the Affirmative Action answer IS going to be the one that the average citizen embraces as the most likely explanation; hence making all new Black and other ethnic minority 'contributions' suspect so far as quality goes. Leftism, what a hoot!

21. Gatewood

Well said, and I love those last two sentences, "Affirmative Action strikes again. Lowering standards in yet another field."

22. superbadbrutha

superbadbrutha Banned

Actually the only folks who ever whine about AA are the folks who need an excuse for their own shortcomings.

23. Gatewood

By its very definition Affirmative Action applies to people STILL unable to make it through life unassisted in a nation where full equality is guaranteed by law. Inadequate people depend on Affirmative Action. Barack Obama was an Affirmative Action result president . . . and it showed.

24. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

For example, Denzel is an actor that deserves several Oscars. However, how do we know he is the best this year and he's not just getting one this year because of Affirmative Action?

25. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

The entire concept diminishes true achievement because it delegitimizes ALL achievement. You never know when it's earned or given anymore unless you spend enough time with that person to see the talent or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk