Fellow Democrats, Your Effort to Destroy the President Is Abnormal

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by Space_Time, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Space_Time

Space_Time Well-Known Member

Interesting coming from a veteran Democrat! Will the Left listen? I'm not optimistic:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fellow...-destroy-the-president-is-abnormal-1487894450

OPINION COMMENTARY
    Fellow Democrats, Your Effort to Destroy the President Is Abnormal
    ‘How Can We Get Rid of Trump?’ asks one headline. You can’t—except by defeating him in 2020.

At a Trump rally in Orlando, Fla., Feb. 18. PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
    By TED VAN DYK
    Feb. 23, 2017 7:00 p.m. ET

Donald Trump has been in office barely a month, and already Capitol Hill Democrats and liberal commentators are plotting his removal from office. A typical headline asked: “How Can We Get Rid of Trump?”

You can’t. Mr. Trump was fairly elected to a four-year term, which he will serve unless legitimate grounds emerge for impeachment. It’s time to move from 24-hour rage to serious consideration of the president’s policy proposals and, where appropriate, offering alternatives.

Critics could begin by recognizing that Mr. Trump’s agenda is not unlike the one John F. Kennedy put forth in 1960. JFK proposed tax cuts “to get America moving again” and a defense buildup to blunt Soviet and Chinese territorial ambitions.

Democrats could then offer constructive ideas of their own for dealing with the nation’s problems. Had Hillary Clinton been elected, she would be busy today trying to fix the cost and coverage problems of ObamaCare, as Mr. Trump and the Republicans are. Before the new administration has even introduced its proposal, Democrats are pretending that ObamaCare repeal would be followed by nothing and that Mr. Trump is trying to “make America sick again.”

Likewise on immigration, any country must control its borders. Mr. Trump has taken a pragmatic position that illegal aliens who commit crimes should be deported but suggested that so-called Dreamers, who were children when their parents brought them here illegally, should be treated more generously. He also proposes a short-term hold on immigration from seven countries where terrorists are active, during which new rules may be established for immigration from those countries. Rather than denouncing Mr. Trump as anti-Latino, anti-Muslim or xenophobic, let us await his administration’s longer-term proposals and engage with them in a serious way.

I did not support Mr. Trump’s election. My own Democratic primary vote went to Sen. Bernie Sanders—not because of his Brooklyn 1930s agenda but because he is an honest and authentic man who offered an alternative to the big-money, poll-driven politics that had taken over my party.

I resented mainstream media’s unfair tilt toward Mr. Trump in the GOP contest. CBS’s chairman, Les Moonves, said a year ago that Mr. Trump’s candidacy “may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS,” because he produced such good ratings.

It apparently never occurred to Trump-promoting media that their disproportionate coverage of his campaign was moving toward the presidency a candidate without experience in public service or much apparent knowledge of past and present public policy. Having helped him to the GOP nomination, the same media now are scandalized because he is doing what he promised.

My own political involvement dates to 1948, when I canvassed door to door for President Truman. I subsequently was active in civil-rights, anti-Vietnam War and antipoverty causes and served in two Democratic administrations. In all that time I have never seen such a concerted effort to discredit and destroy a new administration.

Before 2017 not only the opposition party but media gave the incoming president leeway. Nearly every modern president has had to withdraw one or more cabinet nominations. Nearly all have had cabinet or White House staff shake-ups. Presidents Carter, Clinton and Obama all made embarrassing early stumbles, which were forgiven. The media overlooked “R-rated” personal conduct by Kennedy and Mr. Clinton and properly focused instead on their public duties.

You need not be a Trump supporter to conclude that the present anti-Trump media tirades are something new and disturbing. Free and independent media are vital to our democracy. But freedom must be accompanied by responsibility. President Trump came to office with the complicity of now-critical media, and riding a populist wave that also carried Mr. Sanders far into the Democratic nominating process.

Mr. Trump is demonstrating in office what was apparent from the day he announced his candidacy: He lacks experience, knowledge and governing temperament. But he deserves the same chance to govern that his predecessors were afforded. The manufactured rage in the media and political opposition is taking us to even angrier polarization in the country, and it will last longer than four years.

Mr. Van Dyk was active over 40 years in Democratic national policy and politics. He is author of “Heroes, Hacks and Fools” (University of Washington Press, 2007).

2. fizbo

fizbo Well-Known Member

TED VAN DYK is a wise man. I wish I had hope that the "opposition" is capable of following his example. So far, they've shown themselves to be emotionally and intellectually lacking.

3. Borat

Borat Banned

Yep, he makes entirely too much sense for emotional uber-depressed libs to follow his advise. :D

4. Media_Truth

Media_Truth Well-Known Member Donor

Trump is doing a fine job at destroying himself. He doesn't need help.

5. SillyAmerican

SillyAmerican Well-Known Member

This is extremely abnormal. It's time more high level Dems speak out against it. If the party believes they are doing good for themselves, they are wrong.

Agreed.

Agreed.

6. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. Of course trump apologists think the idiot in chief should be cut some slack. Look at all the slack they cut Obama, who happened to be sane, unlike the current reality tv star/man-child in the white house. Remember death panels, Obama is a muslim, Obama isn't a citizen, Fema camps for people who watch fox news, Obama is going to turn the US into an islamic caliphate, etc...

Sorry, he will be cut no slack, deserves no cooperation, and will fail because of his incompetence. You trump apologists want someone to blame for this? Look in the mirror and how you acted during the last eight years.

Edit: this guy in the op is as much of a democrat as Mike Huckabee

Judy Mcintyre likes this.
  7. ScottR2

ScottR2 Active Member

Yea we know. PRESIDENT Trump is a loser. A loser that just keeps winning.

8. cupAsoup

You're really going to have to do better than this if you want serious responses. Regurgitating trump's idiocy only works on the rubes who were duped by him.

9. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Care to compare YOUR life history to that of President Trump in terms of success? :roflol:

10. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

He's old and he's wrong. Or maybe just crazy now. Trump is a danger to all of humanity.

There is no defense for Trump's words or intended actions. There is a line you don't cross and Trump was it.

What trumpees don't get is that the moment Trump won, America ended. This wasn't an election. It was a betrayal of all that we claim to be. It is an abomination.

11. ScottR2

ScottR2 Active Member

I'm on a political forum on the web where people do nothing but post partisan comments about how awful the other party is. This ain't no scholarly forum. Why would you think I'm seeking a serious response?

And those rubes have kicked the democrats to the curb at all branches and all levels of government.

12. ScottR2

ScottR2 Active Member

Then get out!

Go find yourself a better America. And take your liberal crybaby friends with you.

After all, Trump isn't your president right? And America isn't America anymore right? So just get out. Maybe try Mexico.

13. monkrules

monkrules Well-Known Member

But it was okay for the teabagging crazies to run around like extremist simpletons in silly hats and costumes; to support hardcore, rightwing nutjobs for congress; to vilify President Obama and his efforts to lift us out of the financial sewer GW Bush left us in (thanks to unneeded wars, ill-concieved tax cuts for the rich, etc); and to encourage and force rightwing maniacs in congress to destroy America’s credibility in the world by defaulting on our national debt?

Compared to the teaparty sickos, today’s demonstrators on the left seem like intellectual and moral giants.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/31/us-debt-congress-tea-party

14. shades

shades Active Member

Trump is doing what Trump does, getting things done.

The democrats can either get on board or NOT. Matters little to us who support Trump.
    means the Dems keep losing moving forward for some time to come if they continue this bash strategy that got him elected in the first place, how can they not see that

- - - Updated - - -

wow, you get the Oscar for whinning, bravo, BRAVO

15. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

I did not vote for Obama in 2008, but when he won, I wished him well. I hoped he would be a great president in spite of my misgivings about him.

I did that because I am an American who loves his country. I sense the same thing in the Democrat who wrote the article.

My two cents ... :flagus:

catalinacat likes this.
  16. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

The devil you say, I like it here and it's as much my country as yours. If you don't like the fact that we all have the RIGHT to express our opinion of the God-Emperor may I suggest Iran for your next domicile? It seems to have your attitude to dissent tied down.

Oh, wait, that award was for you and your performance in the crying scene from "Let Donald ALLOONE. " They gave you the wrong envelope.

The Dems strategy to Trump should be exactly what Boehner's was to Obama. We should try to make him a one-term President and obstruct all of what he put's forward. The only exception should be that where everyone agrees it is a good thing we should support it, unlike the Republicans who opposed everything Obama put forward. We should set an example of how to put country over party. Though I am quite sure the Republicans will simply take advantage of it to call us feckless in the elections I retain my faith in the American people.

17. ScottR2

ScottR2 Active Member

Is it your country? If you're like the rest of the liberals you think Trump isn't your president. If you're an American then he's your president. If you think he isn't your president then you don't think it's your country. Trump is president of America and that makes him president for all Americans.

Your party has been rejected at every level of government. Your ideology is seen as hateful and intolerant. Your protests are violent and without merit.

All you guys do is talk about sucession from the union. In every way and form you act like you don't want to be part of this country and accept its fairly elected president as your president. You hate half the people in the country because they didn't vote your way.

So I gave you an alternative. Mexico. Maybe they have a sanctuary city you can live in.

fizbo likes this.
  18. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

That's how I feel about Obama. Obama was a complete rejection of what America is. He promised "fundamental transformation" of the country because he, and many of his followers, hate everything this country stands for and was founded upon, and they wanted a complete overhaul. No President stood for anti-Americanism more than Obama. His wife said it best "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country". That is, she was never proud of the US until her husband became President. I think that sums it up perfectly.

19. Homer J Thompson

Homer J Thompson Banned

I've been seeing this for some time now, democrats are not on board with the insanity coming from the extreme left nuts which seems now is just becoming the normal democrat party. The left has always had to hide who they really are and keep their agenda quiet to keep the sheep in the dark but now that they're in the open and showing who they truly are, the sane side of the left is distancing themselves. I know many democrats that voted for Trump, they can no longer be associated with the madness the left has become. You can just read through a few posts to easily see how unhinged and far out there the left is becoming. I'm thankful the left decided to show themselves and let the people see who they are and what they are capable of.

Thank you for making the Republican party strong. We will get this Country back on track for you.

gc17 and fizbo like this.
  20. undertheice

undertheice Well-Known Member

what you have to remember is that these are people who equate tea-party rallies, folks who peaceably assembled and even cleaned up after themselves, with the riotous mobs who left nothing but garbage, ashes and blood in their wake. for them it's "my way or the highway" and any means they choose to employ are justified by the childish concepts that are their utopian ends. to them mexico is the good guy. yes, a nation that ignores the plight of its own poor and has been supported by the united states for decades is preferable to any compromise. of course, they don't want to live there. they want to bring it here, naively believing that they will be allowed to maintain an above average lifestyle even though they flood the country with poverty and disease. their "america" is disproportionately generous, but only with the wealth of those they deem undeserving. their "america" has too much and must be forced to part with its wealth for the sake of the rest of the world. of course, they don't have too much, it's always someone else that they must steal from for their utopian schemes.

get out? not on your life. they will insist on importing more of their own morally bankrupt kind. they will lie, cheat and steal, commit massive fraud, misrepresent their own ambitions and even pervert the basic law of the land in order to further their puerile notions of globalist perfection. after all, they are the morally superior ones. the rest of us are evil, misguided or insane and all they do to us is for our own good.

gc17 and fizbo like this.
  21. Sampson Simpon

Sampson Simpon Active Member

Seriously, right wingers seriously need to just shut it already. Trump is doing a great job of destroying his own presidency with his lies, his horrendous pro billionaire policies, his incompetence, and his idiotic rhetoric.

And everything said about Trump is all based on things he has ACTUALLY said and done, or said he is going to do, or things he actually did do. Nearly the entire criticism of Obama was completely fictional

22. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, one can tell he is an old democrat, the sensible dem, which is just about GONE. I am almost as old as he is. I remember when the dems had some damned sense. No longer, these faux liberals that have infected the party, (*)(*)(*)(*) for brains, selling out working americans, the list is vast.

Here this lady who is a democrat says it very powerfully, what is going on in the dem party, and with these faux liberal (*)(*)(*)(*) for brains voters...

[video]https://youtu.be/nrnACRaiuOU[/video]

I could not have said it better.

23. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Takes nerve to forgot the treason of your own party, the lies of Hillary, what Obama did to the middle east, but if not for the hypocrisy, the faux liberals would be speechless, and quiet. We could not be so lucky. This is what gets my goat. Hypocrisy, which is just basic dishonesty, in the same boat as what trump is accused of. Liars hollering about other liars. Yet this is where we are. But you sure as hell do not have to like it.

24. cupAsoup

I think I could have done pretty well had I been born into millions and had everything handed to me by my father. Nepotism isn't earned success.

25. cupAsoup

So, you're just here to troll. Got it.

You're proving that true.