Who would be your preferred Prime Minister if you voted now?

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Chris Knight, Feb 27, 2017.

?

Poll closed May 28, 2017.
  1. Malcom Turnbull

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tony Abbott

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bill Shorten

20.0%
  4. Pauline Hanson

40.0%
  5. Richard Di Natale

40.0%
  1. Chris Knight

Chris Knight Well-Known Member

1. Malcolm Turnbull
    2. Tony Abbott
    3. Bill Shorten
    4. Pauline Hanson
    5. Richard Di Natale

2. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

A green soul has to vote Green...
    Regards

3. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft Well-Known Member

That list leaves me only one logical choice... find out about emigrating to Norway

4. Chris Knight

I can quite easily go live in Norway.

I sense that Sweden is more your calling :smile:

5. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft Well-Known Member

and why pray tell is that?

6. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

No, cannot answer your poll, you left a few other options off such as Lambie, Xenophon, Hinch and the like. You put forward the contentious subjects yet in the same ilk ignore some other serious contenders...

7. Chris Knight

Fair point, should I do another poll and include the other contenders?

8. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Well you could but really for many of us, the truth is all of them are on the nose for one reason or another. So the only people who will vote are the party drones who simply vote for their own partisan political purpose.

So far out from an election many are placing demands on a current government for their future rather than looking at hypothetical election results. Since the current crop are failing in many of the same ways without forecast of policy direction the results will be tainted with an increase of partisan politics which is the only reason at present that other less capable have even got a chance in this poll.

Oh less capable, meaning independents and minor parties without basis of representation comparable to major parties. Thus incapable of forming government in their own right…

9. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

I suppose it's all a matter of policy. The factions are so distinct in the coalition with lots of dirty laundry hung out to dry. Labors factions are similar but seem to have been nullified through new process of electing leader and therefore represents stability.

Can the coalition take Australia forward? Well frankly not at the moment! It's the conservative way. In the words of Abbott, a true conservative likes slow progress but unfortunately the ultra conservatives in coalition right faction want regression. That's why we get slower NBN and rolling back of the renewable energy industry and ultra slow movement on marriage equality. Yep, an exponent of marriage equality is our current PM who has sold Australia's future out for personal achievements. It makes him a man no one can trust and therefore why highly on the nose.

Can greens take us forward? Possibly, but some of their policies are a bit rigid, which you'd think could strangle the economy.

How about Hanson? On social policy, a lot of people would be happy. Economically, the party only have the capacity to manage a fish and chip shop. Too many issues are over simplified and therefore dangerous to our nation socially and economically. Her numbers will drop off now people realise she is getting too close to power for comfort. People want to protest but don't want to cut off own noses to spite their face.

Labor? Best of a bad bunch in terms of policy. Visionary and highly active party. Hawke and Keating have set a precedent for Australian politics.

Abbott started the negative mess with relentless negativity by destroying his own party and the partisan approach that has each side digging in their heals on just about everything and anything. If Abbott is pissed off from politics I think you'll find a totally different coalition and a more bipartisan approach to politics in Australia. Does Abbott still have that much bearing? Yes, his cronies will be filthy until his gone.

10. lizarddust

lizarddust Well-Known Member

Being a Senator, it would be very difficult for P Hanson to become Prime Minister unless she resigns from the Senate, joins a major party like Liberal or Labor parties (and we know how much Hanson 'loves' the major parties).

She'd have to stand as a MP in the Lower House in some blue ribbon seat. If elected she'd have to serve on the back bench and would probably die on the vine. Her progress to the front bench would be very very slow. I doubt any major party would hand her a ministerial portfolio let alone chosing her as party leader.

11. Chris Knight

The rise of micro-party politics is evidently clear now. Pauline Hanson's One Nation party, Nick Xenophon's party and Jacqui Lambie are all currently resonating well with many citizens right across the nation. The general public are sick and tired of our leaders not representing the people's interests. I think we will see a very strong, stable and permanent backing of One Nation emerge after the state elections in Queensland and West Australia, and at the next Federal election. The reason being is the party speaks on the genuine issues confronting everyday Australians. Labor and Liberals have strapped themselves to the sinking ship of political correctness and most Australians are feed up with it. As for running the economy and finances of the nation, that is the main job of Treasury and the Reserve Bank in respect to providing guidance, advice and stewardship. Sure parties can formulate policies, but Treasury should advise on the best way to implement it or if the policy should be abandoned. Personally I think access to the Treasury department for advice should be open to all Ministers and Senators of Parliament.

12. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

No doubt the micro parties are important in reminding the major parties about where their interests lie when getting elected and it's not in political play within parties. That direction is filled with strife and disappointment, which they've surely started to take note of.

Aussies in my mind are a lot more careful when the rubber meets the road and certainly believe that many who voted for Hanson are clued up enough to know that she oversimplifies issues based purely on emotions. She's represents just but a few issues that they mostly believe in and that's the fear mongering about Muslims, Asians and petty and shallow jealousies regarding our indigenous. If I'm wrong and her vote does not decrease I think we deserve the kind of politics that we are building for. There is a huge disparity between Nick Xenophon and Hanson, while Lambie and Hanson run on pure emotions together regarding Muslims but pretty sure differ on many other issues but happy to support one another in the senate. Both are odd balls to be honest but that doesn't matter when Australia is protesting. If the coalition were anti Islam then Hanson and Lambie would be branded nincompoops.

All the hype regarding political correctness will die soon, people are sick of hearing the term "political correctness". We practice it when we watch our words used around our mothers and women. We watch our words and comments around children. We are careful what we say in the workplace. Oh yeah, we say what we like in the locker room though....apparently.
    Free speech should just be about query upon query not bold offensive statements that divide. Rhinehart and forester love it when the little people fight and bicker between themselves. "Keep those little people focussed on meaningless issues, while they are preoccupied with those we can keep syphoning off their money"...I hear them saying!
    Get back to focussing on our economy folks and start to question the disparity for our sake. Look at America, while ever they have been focussed on Islam their economy has gradually slipped away. People are doing it tough but have never been confronted with such constant barrage of fear....they once told their people to continue their daily lives and don't let fear grip you from doing things as usual. Guess what.....they taken their eyes off the prize!