Why don't celebrities auction their Oscar gift-bag for charity?

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Chris Knight, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Chris Knight

Chris Knight Well-Known Member

According to a recent article, celebrities that attend the Oscars receive a gift-bag worth ~260k. Considering the fact that celebrities are so vocal about humanitarian and social issues, why don't they donate the gifts to be auctioned for charity?

News article: https://au.be.yahoo.com/lifestyle/a...e-260k-oscars-2017-goody-bag-yahoo7-be/#page1

Perhaps our celebrities should focus on action instead of talking. Or maybe they are happy just being hypocrites by accepting an insane, exorbitant and unnecessary gift-bag.

2. willburroughs

willburroughs Well-Known Member

Perhaps they do. Perhaps they contribute in other ways. Before you run around mewling about them and their lack of action, perhaps you can provide specifics and supporting links (Actor X has never contributed anything to charity).

Jealousy does not do you well.

Jason Bourne likes this.
  3. Chris Knight

Oh please, I am certainly not jealous. The only high-profile celebrities that I can recall which actual do any real charity work is Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie. The rest just have big mouths that are too busy screaming Hilary should have won the election to actually do anything of substance like George Clooney.

Also Leonardo DiCaprio should have at least 3 or 4 Oscars.

4. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

1. Some celebrities do turn them down, especially of they have endorsement contracts for competing products;

2. Some celebrities will donate them or give them away to friends/family/staff.

3. If you take the bag, you get a 1099 for its value, meaning you are taxed on them.

4. The Academy Awards stopped handing out the goodie bags in part because of its run in with the IRS over them, so these things are done outside the official Academy Awards pomp and circumstance.

5. There are gifting suites associated with the Oscars. Some of those are used to raise awareness/support for causes as opposed to flooding them with product.

5. Chris Knight

$1099 is an astronomical amount of money when dealing in humanitarian and social aid. Who cares if it can only be auctioned for such a low price in comparison to its current market value. The fact is celebrities talk big and do nothing on balance. Perhaps if they focused on funding humanitarian and social issues instead of screaming to high heaven that Hilary should have won, they might actually do something beneficial for humanity.

6. Sampson Simpon

Sampson Simpon Active Member

1099 is a tax form )not an amount) and the value of the gifts you must pay tax on

7. Deckel

1099 isn't the price. It is the name of the form that the recipients get to file with their taxes that states the value of the gift bags. If the gift bag is worth $250K, then they have to pay taxes on $250K as income. A 1099 is a variant of a W-2 for payroll employees of a K-1 for business owners.

8. Chris Knight

Even better, the goods are auctioned you maybe get 25% of the value, part of the funds raised goes to pay the tax, or a tax exemption is sort because the proceeds go to charity. So what?

9. Chris Knight

Why are so concerned about the tax, tax is easy to get around for charity. It has been a while since I read up on Sarbanes-Oxley.

10. Deckel

I am not concerned about the tax. You called them hypocrites and then thought they were valued at $1099 for taxes. They are paying taxes on these bags based on their vale the same way you would be if you won a new car in some contest. It doesn't make them hypocrites in my book if they are having to pay a big chunk of money if they accept it. They are mainly advertising because the media will focus on what is in those bags which in turn gets a bunch of exposure for the products and brands in them just in that alone whether or not the celebrities show off the products.

11. Chris Knight

Hey, if you read this: "If you take the bag, you get a 1099 for its value" what do you expect? The goods in reality would probably be worth less to make. How am I supposed to know what the value is until I analyse them and look to market them. Generally it will be around 25% I would say, (*)(*)(*)(*) it, I will sell them for $1099 and show what we can do with that in poverty stricken nations that require humanitarian and social aid.

12. Deckel

Why would you sell it for $1099 if someone else is willing to pay $25K for it? IIRC, George Clooney auctioned his off for charity one year.

13. Chris Knight

It depends on the timeframes within which you are working and what goals you want to achieve.

As for little George, it is absolutely breath-taking (in a negative context) that he bought a diamond ring worth millions for his humanitarian rights lawyer wife. Particularly considering the fact that he has one of the loudest mouths in Hollywood.

14. Deckel

Well clearly you are a superior human being who can do no wrong while others can do no right. I mean the man did what you thought celebrities should do and you still criticize him for it. It must be a burden being as perfect as you are living on a planet of imperfect humanoids.

15. willburroughs

willburroughs Well-Known Member

Well, you are complaining about what you think they should do regarding charity without any real knowledge about what they actually do.

16. Chris Knight

I never said I was perfect. However, I might be more mindful and aware than other people. There are some celebrities that do the right thing and lead by example like Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie. All I am saying is that if you want to jump on the megaphone like many celebrities do, than you should reflect on your own behaviour before telling other people what they should and shouldn't do.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I am complaining that many celebrities jump on the megaphone and tell people what to do and think without reflecting on their own behaviour.