GOP rep invokes Giffords shooting as reason not to hold town hall

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Really Lou?

I mean, Gohmert say some crazy stuff, but to claim he is avoiding a town hall meeting out of fear of being shot seems pretty, well, cowardly.

At least he could be, in my wise opinion forthright and just say he does not want people to publicly contradict him or point out he may be out of touch with voters. He does not want to be publicly embarrased or shown to be incapable of responding.

But to suddenly invoke the Giffords shooting seems unseemly.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...ords-shooting-as-reason-not-to-hold-town-hall

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) invoked the 2011 shooting of former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz.) at a constituent event this week as a reason not to hold a public town hall.

"At this time there are groups from the more violent strains of the leftist ideology, some even being paid, who are preying on public town halls to wreak havoc and threaten public safety," Gohmert said Tuesday in a statement.
    "Threats are nothing new to me and I have gotten my share as a felony judge. However, the House Sergeant at Arms advised us after former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot at a public appearance, that civilian attendees at Congressional public events stand the most chance of being harmed or killed—just as happened there."

Gohmert said he could communicate with thousands of constituents through tele-town hall meetings, arguing even more people will be able to participating in town hall meetings held this way.

"This technology allows the inclusion of our disabled and more elderly seniors who have opinions but who could not otherwise come to an actual town hall meeting and ask questions," he said.

"Then, when the threat of violence at town hall meetings recedes, we can go back to having the civil town hall meetings I’ve had in the past to supplement the masses reached in our telephone town halls. "

Giffords survived being shot in the head at a constituent meeting in 2011. The shooting in Tucson left six people dead and several more wounded

2. Just_a_Citizen

Just_a_Citizen Well-Known Member Past Donor

3. Think for myself

4. Just_a_Citizen

5. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

It is a valid concern.

The Left has become very violent, there is simply no denying this and if I wanted to flood this forum I could post thousands of different youtube videos showing Leftist violence in action.

They can keep their town halls but security should be tightened and any person who is obviously there for no reason other than to disrupt should be kept outside.

6. Your Best Friend

Your Best Friend Well-Known Member

Gohmert may be just looking out for a way to avoid the manufactured, bizarro anti Tea Party folks the democrats have turned out as a way of protecting the done for Obama Care monstrosity.

Or considering the unhinged and dangerously impaired left wingers who have assaulted and attacked anyone who takes a public stand for Trump he may be on to something. It's a coin flip.
    In any event in this environment the left has worked so hard to foment and whip up (many thanks to George Sorros for paying for it all) he has every reason to be cautious.

7. Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson Well-Known Member

Great go-to excuse for cowardly legislators afraid to face up to their constituents.

I wonder how many more will follow suit?

8. Think for myself

Yes, the man is a coward for not facing the public, the public he was elected to represent.

- - - Updated - - -

If this thread is going to be spammed with off topic videos, how about women in yoga pants?

9. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

And this is in Smith County, Texas - the reddest part of a very red state. What a (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)... :roll:

10. Just_a_Citizen

I was watching something on this last night, as it applies to the Tea Party types.

These Leftist Puckwits are really not too far removed from the Righty Puckwits that we'd seen during the Obama administration.

Granted, more violent by a factor of much....

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take Women in Yoga Pants For the Win Chuck...

11. Your Best Friend

Your Best Friend Well-Known Member

Well, since you've never been one to take any excuse at all to attack Lou Ghomert whenever possible, whether justified or not, I'll give your opinion all the consideration it is due.

12. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

I love how a Texas republican congressman honored Gabby Giffords. We need more bipartisanship like that.

13. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

Louis Gohmert is most certainly the lowest form of Congressional life known to man since Newt Gingrich.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Smith county the Anus of Texas?

14. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

I cannot blame him or any other republican. Why give this organized attempt at going after trump, any voice? The MSM is doing more than enough of that.

Would you trust a bunch of hysterical faux liberals around you? Who in their right mind would? These protestors had their say when voted and they lost. Now shut up and work to get your party relevant again. You are wasting your time in trying to keep trump from keeping his promises to those that put him into office. You lost, which means your agenda does not get carried out, no matter how crazy you want to act. No matter how loud you scream and no matter how uncivilized you want to appear. Of course some of them need the paycheck....and it is easy work, being a sore loser.

15. mngam

mngam Well-Known Member Past Donor

oh noes...... libs won't be able to pretend to be outraged constituents if they aren't held.

Leaked Audio Reveals Anti-Trump Forces Manufacturing Hostile Town Hall

Leaked audio from an anti-Trump protest group meeting reveals activists with anti-Trump group Indivisible plotting how to best manufacture a hostile environment at a town hall with Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana on Friday.

The audio, obtained by local radio station KPEL, reveals a coordinated effort to create the public impression that Cassidy’s support for Trump is unpopular with his constituents. The activists, who describe themselves as liberals in the audio, can be heard strategizing how to best turn a local town hall into a political victory.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/27/l...anufacturing-hostile-town-hall/#ixzz4Zui73hW8

16. Think for myself

What? You mean protestors organize? Meet? Plan?

My god, that must be that whole right of free association thing the founders held so dear. This is outrageous that folks with similar ideas band together, talk, plan. What is next? they send each other emails?

17. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Yea there has always and will always be a parity for the existence of extremism in the two parties.

But it goes without saying there is no such parity for the degree of said extremism in media, in popular culture, and in violent response in the two parties.

The Left has the Right beat when it comes to the exhaustive scope of extremism.

18. Just_a_Citizen

No doubt.

I still stand on my assertions that the time's a coming, where in order to maintain decorum in our political system, more parties will have to form, & then, to be elected, simply win nominations as either Conservative, or Liberal, for platforms.

19. mngam

Is that what this was? just free association? some folks with similar ideas? lol

Since you obviously didn't bother reading the link I will gladly provide some of the highlights of the audio.

“Game plan number one is to fill as many seats as we can, right? If it’s all of us in there and the poor people of Breaux Bridge are sitting behind us, well then tough luck for them,” said one organizer, identified by KPEL as James Proctor. His “poor people” comment drew laughs from the other activists.

“If we can arrange it so he doesn’t hear one sympathetic question–great. That only magnifies our impact,” Proctor said.

KPEL identified Proctor as the leader of Indivisible Acadiana, a local branch of the national Indivisible organization, which has organized hostile Republican town halls all around the country.

“The Indivisible Guide does say that when you start to lose the meeting, that’s when you boo and hiss,” one unidentified activist can be heard saying. “Right, I was going to say that,” another activist replied. Local news outlet The Advertiser reported that members of the crowd “frequently interrupted, expressing disagreement with some of Cassidy’s positions and shouting out their own questions.”

“The outside team will join the inside team in the hall after media coverage,” Proctor states at one point. “So what we’ll do is we’ll try to dominate enough, because–remember, the camera people especially are looking for some ‘b-roll’ and some quotes.”

“They’ve got three or four things to cover that day, this is just one of them,” Proctor said of media covering the town hall. “So we make sure we give them the coverage they want, and then everyone breaks and goes inside.”

Now what are the loons going to try?

20. Think for myself

Oh my goodness? Folks that think Trump is an idiot are banding together! What is next?

21. monkrules

monkrules Well-Known Member

Did you feel like this when that worthless, spineless, POS, Mitch McConnell promised to devote all of his efforts to making President Obama a one term president?

22. mngam

lol, sure these "Folks" have the right to organize, and they can even pretend there rants matter.

23. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Paid protestors (or people who would use these as a way to make a political statement beyond the elected official) are ridiculous and bad.

That said, chances are good they not Every angry person at these townhalls is a liberal plant. There are a lot of angry Conservatives and to dismiss them all is a bad idea for the politicians.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

24. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

So what? It only takes one bused in leftist nutbag.

BTW, does Obama still have secret service protection?

25. felonius

felonius Active Member