Officials Weigh Circumcision to Fight H.I.V. Risk

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheHat, Aug 27, 2009.

1. TheHat

TheHat Well-Known Member

Wonderful, now health officials want to push more circumcisions to fight AIDS.

Er...., since when was having sex unprotected gonna stop STDs again?...lol.

I dont think the government or anybody else should be that considered about my junk. That one is strictly a private issue that doesnt need to involve government.

Plenty of campaign slogans to go with this story. Puns are intended!:mrgreen:

"Stay Warm. Wear a Turtleneck!"
    "Honk for Foreskin!"
    "Cash For Foreskin!"

Oh, we could go on and on with this one. But seriously, stop AIDS by getting cut?....lol.

Leave me and my kids johnson's alone. If I want my kids cut, I will ask the doctor to do it at birth, otherwise, I leave it up to them to decide, you the health official or government moron have no say. Stay away! :gun:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/24/health/policy/24circumcision.html?_r=2

Funniest and scariest part to this story, is towards the bottom of the article:

:omg::omg:

There is only 1 way to clinical test this....lol. To force people w/o AIDS to have sex with infected persons. Anybody else find this to be a little um........sick?

2. Out West

Out West Active Member

I agree. Getting cut will not make any difference in getting HIV or not.

3. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Foreskin or no foreskin....if you are getting AIDS today it's because you simply arent taking precautions. This isn't a new disease, we've had plenty of education.

A turtleneck is not going to help or hurt at this point. Stop dipping your unprotected meat.

4. TheHat

TheHat Well-Known Member

THe part about the clinical trials is absolutely hiliarious.

5. Anikdote

Anikdote Well-Known Member

Just curious, but do you also oppose mandatory vaccinations?

6. Rebellion

Rebellion Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is different because vaccinations protect people from disease that can be spread to everyone. AIDS is contracted by only those who choose to have unprotected sex or use needles to take illegal drugs.

7. Anikdote

Very true. But it should be mentioned that a small portion of those infected by HIV are born to mothers afflicted with it, and I personally grew up with a guy who contracted it from a transfusion when he was a toddler.

8. JavaBlack

JavaBlack New Member

This has to be a spurious correlation. There's no logical reason why circumcision itself reduces AIDS... I could be wrong, but I'm betting these variables are both linked to anther one.

That's not true. I can get AIDS from the dentist, from a blood transfusion, by accident... There are many ways to get AIDS.
    What about people who have safe sex, end up with a defect, and one person has AIDS without knowing it?

The majority of AIDS will be spread through irresponsible behavior. But there is enough potential for it to spread to the rest of us, exponentially increasing as cases of AIDS increase. This makes it a public health issue.
    Remember also the big lag in time it takes to discover.
    Particularly people who catch HIV without being irresponsible may not know about it for some time, and will engage in behaviors- just normal behaviors like sharing food, married relations, having first aid performed by an amateur, etc.

9. TheHat

TheHat Well-Known Member

Do what? Your not going to try and equate circimcision to vaccines are you?

Here is where you explain to me, that circumcision vaccinates you against disease.

And no, I am not really for mandatory vaccines. To broad a term and issue.

They could mandate H1N1 vaccine tomorrow, and if I had said yes and I went against that vaccine, you would just deem me a hypocrit. I dont have a problem with certain vaccines, but I am not for or against vaccines that have been in use for decades that pertain to terminal illness.

ANyways, this discussion isnt about vaccines, so lets save that one for another thread.

10. TheHat

TheHat Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out what all that has to do with getting circumcised.

11. JavaBlack

JavaBlack New Member

Nothing. I said it sounded like a spurious correlation that probably doesn't deserve being taken seriously.

However, I reject the notion that even a more reasonable measure should be disallowed on the grounds that "AIDS only affects people who act irresponsibly."

12. Anikdote

If the folks wanting to do this are holding it up as preventative, then they would perceive a correlation. But Reb already gave a distinction that I believe to be accurate.

Right-o.

13. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

LOL...yeah no kidding!!

14. Xilaisalt

Xilaisalt Banned

This was a disturbing thread; especially after I googled what it meant.

15. Rebellion

I'd support an HIV vaccination. Circumcision is more personal and potentially religious.

16. Rebellion

Getting it from a dentist etc is amazingly low in probability now. Dentists now wear masks for that very reason. Hospitals screen blood. All of these because of AIDS.

17. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Other methods more cost-effective...
    :fart:
    Economists say adult circumcision not best anti-HIV tactic
    28 Sept.`11 - A group of top world economists said Wednesday that adult male circumcision, a global priority for preventing HIV infection, is not nearly as cost-effective as other methods of prevention.