+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Hearing impaired in the military

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Makedde View Post
    I'd likely fail their test quite badly, lol. I can barely hear a thing without my hearing aids. I'll be screwed when they finally give up the ghost as I can't afford another pair.

    But I think that if someone really wants to serve the country, there must be something they can do - even if they are profoundly deaf.
    The issue is deployability. If someone cannot deploy.. the military doesn't want them.

    As was mentioned earlier.. it's almost always entire units that deploy.. not individual persons.

    If it's any consolation.. there are a plethora of medical/financial/etc reasons why people get discharged or not allowed to even enlist.
    Yeah, I wish Uncle Sam would give a dam about the man who's collar's blue.
    But if he don't, hell, I'll make it on my own:
    How 'bout you?

    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseMan View Post
    Unless you have any logical proof that the moon exists, then it is as plausable as any other proposition. are you a physicist?


  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riza View Post
    For the next 2-4 years for example, I can work on the air force as some kind of maintenance on US land, no? Unless are you actually telling me that the chance of enemy setting foot on US land is actually there.

    Keep in mind I can hear with hearing aids. It is not absolute deafness so I can do everything but go in water.

    So air force - give me a tech related job, I do it, poof. I dont' see why not.

    Why do they allow criminals into the military but not deaf/hard of hearing? We are talking about convicted murderers.
    You do not get to choose your duty station or even your job, (if you can not complete the training, you will be assigned where the military wants you.)

    Get a job with the Peace Corps. Your service will be appreciated.
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

    Joseph Goebbels

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riza View Post
    What are your thoughts of them joining? Many of us are fully capable and I for one wouldn't mind serving for 2-4 years.

    I was told there are many jobs that don't require hearing or even if they do (I can wear hearing aids) can be done as an assistance to someone else who can hear.

    I WANT TO HELP MY COUNTRY IN THE MOST DIRECT WAY POSSIBLE!

    One of the problems with this is that many people do not have one single job anymore in the military. A guy passing out towels at the gym may actually have to go on convoy duty. If you were to say, take that spot, and are undeployable because of your handicap, then that would mean someone else is going to have less time at home with their family because rotation times would be shorter due to less individuals being deployable. And in an era when downsizing seems to be the new trend, individuals HAVE to be deployable.

  4. Default

    I can't add much from what has already been stated.

    These are all good replies to the young man wishing to serve.
    It's commendable that he wants to do this, given the number
    of able bodied young men who prefer springbreak in Daytona Beach
    to serving their nation...

    but I digress.

    It is absolutely...nothing personal against Riza...I developed advanced
    prostate cancer while in the Reserves and resigned my commission rather than
    seek the endless "queep" and paper-work trail getting a medical waiver.

    We were at war on two fronts at the time, and it was better I simply resign
    my commission since I was no longer able to perform the duties I was
    trained to do.

    It's a painful decison...you feel less of a man quite frankly...you get mad
    at "God" and think "why me"..the stages of grief are very real. ...but not to
    get too far off topic and overly anecdotal...

    to Riza I say...do not feel ashamed or less of a person, less of a man for
    having a hearing disability that keeps you out of military service...

    plenty of bums have worn the uniform...character deficient if not physically...
    and eventually they get separated from the military...a uniform does
    not make or break your character, that my friend comes from within.

    I think it's admirable you want to serve, and even though this may not be possible
    for reasons out of your control..your hearing impairment...there are other ways to serve this nation that are as equally valuable.

    so good luck Riza, and chin up. Don't feel any less of yourself.
    Last edited by Herkdriver; Mar 24 2011 at 02:34 PM.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Then you can do those services for some civilian company. There are 10,000 aircraft maintenance companies already out there, that work on the aircraft for everybody from private pilots to major corporations and government agencies. Feel free to do service on INS helicopters, or Postal Service jets.
    The problem with doing that is Postal Service jets for example require pilot training that you usually get from former Air Force pilots. The vast majority of US jobs prefer former military one way or another.

    Nobody is stopping you from serving your country, there are more ways to do this then joining the military.
    Actually as a deaf / hard of hearing, a lot of doors are closed to me and folks like me. Sure there are outliers but the vast majority of hard of hearing I know are out of jobs but are capable / willing to work.

    Then talk to Boeing, Lockeed, or one of the many thousands of Defense Contractors. They all have individual contractors (Tech Reps) who are often even assigned to individual units. For almost all purposes they are part of the unit, just paid better, better living conditions, and less BS.
    True, but they also require another thing when I last spoke to one - security clearance. The best place to get them is in the military, I was told you basically get it automatically (first level) when you join the military and do that kind of work that require one in the first place.

    Lockheed for example want someone who has trust from the military, some experience, etc before you do anything.

    Really, murderers? I mean actual convicted murderers, who have not had their conviction overturned in any way?
    Just look at the news and the year on it, every year they lower the standards. Just google this.

    http://www.vamortgagecenter.com/blog...victed-felons/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3115199.shtml
    http://www.slate.com/id/2182752/

    There are news from 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, etc that military keep lowering standards and letting almost anyone in that they fill they need to fill the spots on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Makedde View Post
    I'd likely fail their test quite badly, lol. I can barely hear a thing without my hearing aids. I'll be screwed when they finally give up the ghost as I can't afford another pair.

    But I think that if someone really wants to serve the country, there must be something they can do - even if they are profoundly deaf.
    If you wear hearing aids like me, you definitely can't join the military.

    Quote Originally Posted by GramCleric View Post
    The issue is deployability. If someone cannot deploy.. the military doesn't want them.

    As was mentioned earlier.. it's almost always entire units that deploy.. not individual persons.

    If it's any consolation.. there are a plethora of medical/financial/etc reasons why people get discharged or not allowed to even enlist.
    Depressing if you think about it. Many people can and are willing to serve in one way or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBorn View Post
    You do not get to choose your duty station or even your job, (if you can not complete the training, you will be assigned where the military wants you.)

    Get a job with the Peace Corps. Your service will be appreciated.
    Did you ever look at the requirement for Peace Corps? They may or may not let deaf / hard of hearing people serve too. Many people with medical / criminal / financial problem may NOT serve in Peace Corps. To make it harder, college degree is required unlike the military (unless you do officer).

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney203 View Post
    One of the problems with this is that many people do not have one single job anymore in the military. A guy passing out towels at the gym may actually have to go on convoy duty. If you were to say, take that spot, and are undeployable because of your handicap, then that would mean someone else is going to have less time at home with their family because rotation times would be shorter due to less individuals being deployable. And in an era when downsizing seems to be the new trend, individuals HAVE to be deployable.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...3g-b3&aql=&oq=

    It's an on-going issue. Tons of deaf want to serve, just look.

    Maybe we should make it less strict on the deaf? Just have an entire department / research on what they can or cannot do. You seriously cannot tell me there is not a single thing a deaf person cannot do. I have arms and legs and I can run faster than many people due to the fact that I have nothing else to do so these days I just exercise or study for school.

    I am what is considered "very high quality" to a recruiter apparently, judging by these standards. I have both physical and intelligence if it were not the hearing problems. Tons of deaf are like me - that resource should not be wasted.

  6. Default

    Just so everyone know, it is not just the doors of military that are closed to us deaf / hard of hearing but police, firefighting, CIA, FBI, etc.

    It's hard to push the door open in some of these specific jobs but the vast majority are closed.

    Even getting a teaching job is hard. Many USPS jobs are closed, etc. There's a lot of discrimination for disabled people too, to the point that they have to make advertisement saying that if you hire deaf, gov't make help with the tax.

  7. Default

    Herkdriver

    Military was my first choice because my whole family served (men/women save the few like myself) so I know how you feel and what you mean.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riza View Post
    Herkdriver

    Military was my first choice because my whole family served (men/women save the few like myself) so I know how you feel and what you mean.
    If it was me, I'd let it go...there are specific reasons why the military maintains
    physical standards for enlistees and appointees...
    which include a person's hearing level. It's not about your needs, it's about
    their needs.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkdriver View Post
    If it was me, I'd let it go...there are specific reasons why the military maintains
    physical standards for enlistees and appointees...
    which include a person's hearing level. It's not about your needs, it's about
    their needs.
    I understand that but I'd still like to put it up for discussion. Considering that there might be something else that both of us have never seen.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riza View Post
    The problem with doing that is Postal Service jets for example require pilot training that you usually get from former Air Force pilots. The vast majority of US jobs prefer former military one way or another.



    Actually as a deaf / hard of hearing, a lot of doors are closed to me and folks like me. Sure there are outliers but the vast majority of hard of hearing I know are out of jobs but are capable / willing to work.



    True, but they also require another thing when I last spoke to one - security clearance. The best place to get them is in the military, I was told you basically get it automatically (first level) when you join the military and do that kind of work that require one in the first place.

    Lockheed for example want someone who has trust from the military, some experience, etc before you do anything.



    Just look at the news and the year on it, every year they lower the standards. Just google this.

    http://www.vamortgagecenter.com/blog...victed-felons/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3115199.shtml
    http://www.slate.com/id/2182752/

    There are news from 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, etc that military keep lowering standards and letting almost anyone in that they fill they need to fill the spots on.
    Who said anything about being a pilot? The jets also need maintenance crews. And my late fiancee used to work as an ASL interpretor. A lot of industrial companies love hiring the deaf, because of the lower liability in regards to hearing damage.

    And those articles said not a single thing about recruiting murderers.

    And look at those dates, 3-4 years ago. Trust me, it is a different world today. The waivers for past transgressions are just about totally gone.

    And no, not evrybody gets a security clearance. I did, because my first job was guarding weapons. And my current job is dealing with the PATRIOT missile. But when I was a grunt or worked on a rifle range, I did not have a clearance.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks