My family is full of birthers. Help?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by AndrogynousMale, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrogynousMale

AndrogynousMale Active Member

My mother and I were talking politics the other day and the subject of Obama's birth inevitably came up. She basically still thinks that he wasn't born here, and that his birth certificate was doctored to deceive the American public. I tried to tell her that no other president has had their birth questioned this much and that's it's a deep seated form of racism, but she wasn't buying it.

This kind of mental disease also effects the rest of my family. My first uncle believes he's a Kenyan communist dictator, my grandma believes he will pass a law that will destroy term limits and make himself dictator, etc. The only person with any sense is my other uncle. He doesn't like Obama, but at least he doesn't believe all the Glenn Beck conspiracy BS the rest of my family seems to believe.

How do I talk sense into my family? Most of us distrust the two-party system so there's that and none of us like Obama, but the birther crap is still running strong. Is there anything I can show them to prove them wrong without having to call them racist?

2. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

You cannot talk sense into them, so do not try.

Simply smile and nod......feel free to snicker after you leave the room.

3. Turin

Turin Well-Known Member

I would just ask to be put up for adoption. I have found there is no way to cure people of the "Obama Syndrome" aka. They will believe ANYTHING negative said about the president.

4. Roelath

Roelath Well-Known Member

I don't think Obama was born in my room either but, I'm pretty sure he was born somewhere.

5. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

you're arguing the wrong point.... where Obama is born is inconsequential as his mother was American at the time of his birth.... He could have been born on the moon, he's still a US citizen. Of course, your fall-back, typical liberal knee-jerk response of "if you question the dear leader, you must be racist" and "noone else has been picked on" comeback surely didn't help your cause. Beyond those ignorant comebacks.... consider yourself educated on what qualifies you as a citizen.

Beyond that, I do believe he was born in Kenya, like his autobiography from the 90s or so says....

I'm no Obama supporter, by any stretch, but he's fine.

I'm not worried about him "passing a law" that eliminates term limits, especially now that CNN and MSNBC have already declared Hillary the heir apparent.... but what did worry me is like hitler and saddam did.... they just got elected and stayed.

The Revolution of 1800 tested this theory in the US. The entire party was ousted by vote. From President down. They could have refused to leave and had support to stay. This would have destroyed such a young country. They chose to leave.

This is not a good time for this to happen though because it's the end of a term limit. Had something like that happened in 08, it gives a sitting potus a little more opportunity to just say "uhhhh, no, I'm staying put (and then give some reason why it's necessary). And if he stays in 08, against the vote.... then no sense in having the 12 election.

Timing is key in something like this. Would Obama take advantage if an opportunity arose for him. I'd bet my Obamacare tax he would. Will he be given the opportunity.... probably not. At least I hope there isn't an opportunity presented to him.

6. AndrogynousMale

AndrogynousMale Active Member

I'm not saying that disagreeing with Obama makes you racist. I just think the whole birther movement has a lot of subtle racism.

And it is true that no other president has had their place of birth questioned this much. There has to be a reason why so many question it.

7. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

It's part of the southern thought process. It isn't fixable. Move maybe?

8. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

When the guy's own wife uses phrases like "His home country of Kenya", and college papers reference your birthplace as Kenya...
    You have to wonder why they all, including his wife, got it wrong.

I don't care where he was born, so don't anyone try and call me a birther.

But calling your mom racist based on all the evidence against his American birth... is dumb.

If your mom is racist for questioning where he was born... what is Michelle Obama for SAYING it was Kenya ?

9. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Then you're the only Democrat that isn't.

10. Dollface

Dollface New Member

Subtle racism, no it is nothing but racism and the fact that he is a Democrat. The same knuckle dragging TeaPartiers will love voting for Ted Cruz because he is a Republican.

11. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Gratuitous Race Card Play. Drink! Thanks.

12. SmokeALib

SmokeALib New Member

We all know that The Blamer produced his BC shortly after his 3 million dollar Hawaiin vacation. Amazing coincidence.

13. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

Now there's proof if I ever heard it.

14. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I'm really disappointed that you would bring up the race card like you did. I expected better.

15. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

Best answer so far.

Addressing the thread........

I know a few people stuck on this issue, as long as they don't bring it up I don't. They also believe every bad thing said about Obama. By anyone. Even if it contradicts their other beliefs about him. ---shrug---

Is there a racial element in it? Sure, and as long as the subject is not Obama I call them out on those ingrained attitudes. I doubt I get through to them, but they learn to keep that stuff to themselves around me. And we get along.

If the subject comes up and they get into a shared uproar about it just walk away. Or, since you dislike Obama also, try to change the subject to a real issue about him.

16. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Address each of their concern, show them where they're wrong without losing your temper. It's going to be a steady process. Ask them for sources, then debunk them. Bring up your own, ask them to refute them. When they can't, ask why they can't. Make them realize they're wrong, and they'll back down, or at least drop the birther crap.

17. logical1

logical1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You can call me a birther if you want to. Until Obama produces a real birth certificate that can stand all the examinations, I believe he is an illegal president and should be jailed. The simple fact is that people that try to hide something, are hiding it for a reason.

BTW the birth certificate that he produced about a year ago was such a POS even a HS computer expert proved it was totally doctored.

18. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Neither had any other presidential candidate posted an image of an abstract of his BC on the internet, AFAIK.

And since there is no necessary connection between between racism and disbelief in his eligibility for office, there is no reason she should.

Before you try that, you would do well to reflect on your own illogic.

19. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

Shouln't we check with FOX for the final call? I'm curous. They think Ted Cruz is eligible or no? Just kidding.

Bush isn't in jail so, fair is fair anyway.

20. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

You obviously don't listen to Beck.

21. darckriver

darckriver New Member Past Donor

I've almost given up trying to persuade anyone of anything. I shoot my mouth off here at PF just to spew and then hopefully feel better. I never expect to convince anyone of anything. One reason is, I've found out too many times in my crusader history that I was wrong! That'll take the wind out of you sails a bit. The other reason is a little jingle I learned somewhere along the line:

A man convinced against his will
    is of the same opinion still.​

More than we realize, our beliefs are as much a matter of willful choice as logical consistency and rational conclusion, if not more so.

So, if I was asked for advice, I'd say let 'em think whatever they want. We won't ever change the world for the better by always seeking to change OTHER people's minds. We may however change it a little by changing our own where we should.

22. hseiken

hseiken New Member

Simple answer, you can't. They've already surrounded themselves in a fantasy land and are too far gone. As soon as you start giving them evidence, it'll be 'doctored', 'fake', 'PR damage control', etc. Basically, they've got 'the right view' and anything on the contrary sends them into denial mode. It's okay, all you have to do is avoid those issues and stick to the real things that Obama should be criticized for, not made up imaginary things that never happened or haven't even hinted at being any foreseeable future. Steer the discussion to drone executions without trial, americans killed by drones, ACA being a law to benefit insurance agencies more than the public, his resigning of NDAA, his dismissal of NSA data collection, etc. There's plenty to not like about Obama without going into fantasy land and you being a libertarian, I'm sure, can think of at least 30 things to bring up to change the discussion from Glenn Beck and Alex Jones BS back into reality.

23. hseiken

hseiken New Member

Very wise words. I have a similar thing going on with a long standing gun regulation debate with my mother. It's funny though because I don't think either of us are wrong...but that's completely different than birther bile. ;)

24. Athelite

Athelite Well-Known Member Past Donor

Don't bother, and don't let silly politics get between you and your family.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter even if Obama were truly born on foreign soils.

25. YouLie

YouLie Well-Known Member

Glenn Beck is not a birther, so there's the first problem I see with the description of your family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.