"I'm ashamed to be an American>>MOD WARNING<<<." - Sgt Bergdahl

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Channe, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

MOD WARNING

"The future is too good to waste on lies,” Bergdahl wrote his parents. “And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

My take - One of my best friends from college was an Army Ranger - decorated beyond measure - and he died earlier this year - his funeral is next weekend in Arlington - I was honored to have called him one of my best friends. I think of the fact that several American soldiers like my buddy Chris gave their lives in trying to find this guy and I feel angry. They deserved a better end than what they deserved. I am in utter disbelief that Obama and the military approved of this trade given THEY KNEW OF THE EMAILS. Obama may have given the order, but was there not one general, any one, who was realized this was a horribly bad idea ?

On a personal note, R.I.P, Chris - I'll miss you, brother !

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/0...nts-fellow-soldiers-reveal-troubled-bergdahl/

2. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I've got to believe there were those who believed such, and likely they voiced it....but the Emperor does as he wants it seems. He's got a pen.

Sorry for your friend, who sounds like a REAL hero of America.

3. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;Q65KZIqay4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E[/video]

4. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

He was - I met him my sophomore year in college back in 1999. He died in tragic car accident near his military base in Hawaii.
    He did tours in Afghanistan and Iraq - I believe he was in the Airborne division that first dropped into northern Iraq before the war started too. He is a tremendous loss for our country and for me personally as he was my brother by all accounts.

5. Nat Turner

Nat Turner New Member

It is entirely irrelevant if he was a deserter or not. He was an American soldier held POW. You bring him home. Courts martial him later, fine. But you bring him back. McCain, MacChrystal, Petraeus, etc have all said the same thing. I'm sure the bloodthirstier-than-thou patriots would much rather have seen a video of Bergdahl being beheaded by some bearded Pashtuns but they wouldn't have missed a beat and immediately started in on Obama "not caring for American troops".

6. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

Do we really believe that because this man said he was, or was, ashamed to be an American that he deserved to spend the rest of his life in Taliban custody?

IMO, these has to be more to this than any of us know.

7. TexMexChef

TexMexChef Well-Known Member

I hear/read conservatives complaining ad nauseam of the death of America. How America should be over-thrown. How some cow humper in Colorado is more important than the Union.

What is the freaking difference? NONE.

Bunch of hypocrites.

8. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Sgt. Bergdahl should be in Leavenworth and his Dad needs to be placed on a government watch list.

9. Naruto

Naruto Well-Known Member

I'm fine with them bringing him back as long as they try him for dereliction of duty and murder of his fellow soldiers and then allowing his platoon mates line him up against a wall and they get to shoot him in the heart. Yes bring him home. When is Obama going to release some drug kingpen to free the Marine in Mexico?

10. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

Sure if they didnt have to give up enemy combatants ...it is not like they were just handed him and decided to take him home.

11. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Was this guy worth releasing 5 higher up terrorists who can now go back and kill more Americans overseas? That's the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevada, not Colorado. It doesn't seem like you have a very strong grasp on the subject to be speaking about it.

12. JohnnyMo

He's an American that was held captive for close to 5 years. The 5 that were released were never charged with any crime. Not sure I understand why.

As I said previously, IMO, there must be more to this than any of us know.

13. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

Nope. You hate the country and walk off base and get captured...that's on YOU! Wasting our time and getting people killed to find this loser is the real tragedy.

14. flyboy56

flyboy56 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Obama's plan is to close Gitmo before his presidency ends in 2016 so why not start with the worst of the worst and get it over with, and the rest of the prisoner releases will be much easier. He's keeping his campaign promises.

15. For Topical Use Only

For Topical Use Only Well-Known Member

I think you mean five members of a government of a foreign nation which the US invaded and who are rightfully being returned post arrest now that the (undeclared) war is inevitably winding down due to complete failure. I realise that vile US citizens have zero concern for foreigners of any description but the fact remains the terrorist in this case is the US, having wiped out countless innocent lives there. Wedding parties a speciality. It's hardly any wonder a sane and intelligent US soldier might question why they're there and make a personal protest. In a just world it is they who'd be considered American patriots. In a balanced world the US would be over-run with terrorism and the mendacious complaints of entitled little pricks might have some merit.

Remember to support the troops as they carve up the planet for corporate needs.:flagus:

16. Brewskier

Because they are being detained in an ongoing war effort. This isn't like civilian court.

Whatever it is, it's most likely political.

17. flyboy56

Since when do POW's get charged with crimes? And the bigger picture is Obama is closing down Gitmo as he promised during his first presidential campaign.

18. Brewskier

I think that's a big part of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Your sympathy with Islamic terrorists is noted. Must be a progressive.

19. Nat Turner

Nat Turner New Member

And you know this for a fact.....how? FOX News? That is why you have courts - military or civilian, to determine the facts. Then the punishment if warranted. For a bunch of guys who profess to love America you sure seem to hate some of the principles it was built on. And as for hating America, you see more of that on this site every day from people who truly fancy themselves 'patriots'.

20. flyboy56

Al Qaeda declared war on the US. The Taliban gave them bases in which to train which makes them complicit in the war against the US. We caught many Taliban and Al Qaeda enemies and shipped them off to a POW camp where they should be held until after the war is over which it is not yet. We still have men and women in harms way in Afghanistan whose parents are very worried about. Bob Bergdahl encouraged his son to follow his conscience which led him to go on a walk-about in war torn Afghanistan leading to the deaths of soldiers who were a part of a search and rescue mission. The advice the father gave was extremely inappropriate.

21. Raised Right

Raised Right Member

Being captured is the risk you take when you enter the Army. That's why you have a platoon, in order to keep organized and protected.

Anyway, although I am very angry about this decision, I feel as though there could be some substance in your second point.

FBI and CIA could possibly be monitoring these terrorists, and pretty soon, we may be hearing of another drone strike on those terrorists that were released. Not saying that would be a good move, or that it would be typical of this weak Administration, but I just have a feeling that it might happen.

Again, I am not condoning the "exchange," as it was extremely idiotic and ill-advised, but it's just a gut feeling.

Thoughts?

22. JohnnyMo

These men were held for in excess of 10 years. Considering that the Afghan war is winding down it seems we needed to charge them or release them.

At this point I don't believe that any of us know the driving factor in this exchange. We may never know.

23. Nat Turner

Nat Turner New Member

Apparently quite a few people here completely and emphatically disagree with you.

24. For Topical Use Only

For Topical Use Only Well-Known Member

Al Qaeda is a fictional entity designed to terrify the gullible. I have no sympathy for idiots who buy into a specious notion that a bunch of goat herders are any kind of threat except to goat's rear ends. The US has only one policy and that's to take advantage of as many strategic, mineral rich, and oil rich environments as possible and that's only for corporate interests with a side order of PNAC world domination, which is a deranged national obsession given life by a belief in a fascistic 'American exceptionalism'. To support the troops is to support war is to support malfeasance and terrorism. The US imposes its version of terrorism wherever it goes and the gullible and credulous fill message boards with inane tales of 'world policemen' and 'humanitarian efforts' and keep the whole thing ticking over. If soldiers don't want to be in harms way they can stay at home, which is where they're supposed to be in order to repel an invasion, which will never happen. Meanwhile the dim-witted sign off an an engorged military and throw their own impoverished under the bus. Wave that Chinese made plastic flag while the nation falls apart at the seams like a good patriot.:flagus:

25. SourD

SourD New Member Past Donor

How delusional. Really? People really think like this?