Louis Riel Day - October 22

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Moi621, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel
    http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/louis-riel/

Louis_Riel.jpg

If you appreciate Freedom Fighters ala Braveheart, you're gonna :heart: Louis Riel
    Born October 22, 1844. Murdered by the Anglo Canadian authorities November 16, 1885.

I encourage all Freedom Loving readers to read up on him and the crimes committed by the Ottawa government against peoples not of Anglo breeding. That included dissing the property rights of French, Scot, and Metis persons.
    And those that objected such as Louis Riel - - - C'est Canada !

Read up and understand what "they" are capable of.

Moi :oldman:
    :flagcanada: Watcher

r > g

2. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Let me see, Delusions of Godhood/ messiah complex, led two rebellions against the Brits, executed an Irishman for the crime of not kissing Riel's ass. Good job you picked a real winner.

3. Moi621

It seems :flagcanada: historians are resurrecting his image and the shame of the government.
    Over the last few years, it is easier to find material on Riel. And I have pursued him for decades as a leisure history hobby.

How many of the above labels do you believe just might be Ottawa based character assassination.
    The winners write the history.

And what of the property of the non Anglo-s out west ?
    What of Canadian standards of equal rights ?
    Especially in the days of American slavery decades before Riel ?

Leaders of the 19th Century were often "spiritual". William Jennings Bryan for example.
    The spirituality of Riel was probably heathenish to Ottawa, or too Catholic.

I did consider whether Riel was just :flagcanada:'s John Brown? Thoughts.

So how are Canadians going to celebrate :alcoholic: October 22 ? :woot:
    And try get one of them to discuss Riel. Like getting a Japanese to discuss Pearl Harbor.

r > g

No :flagcanada:

4. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

The era in which Louis Riel lived had many goings on that will tend to shock us as we find out more.......... Canada is always to some degree affected by what is happening south of the border!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/red-mans-view/how-lincolns-army-liberated-the-indians/515559085195891

5. Moi621

The Metis were not loin cloth natives running around and killing indiscriminately or for tribal this or that.
    The Metis were mixed blood French, Scot, Irish and Native American who lived pretty Euro compared to the American Indian of that time. The Metis did however tend to be Catholic and that did not help their cause with Ottawa.

This is not to claim the American experience and treatment of Native Americans was correct.
    This is to claim, it was in more recent times from the bulk of America's Indian Wars -
    La Canada was committing atrocities on its' population regardless of their acceptance of Euro ways. But, Catholic.
    La Canada violated previous agreement when incorporating these lands into the "confederation".
    When some would hold La Canada to its' treaties, as did Louis Riel - well we know how that went.

True ! ?

And this behavior from such a benign, friendly appearing neighbor with the longest
    unguarded border.

The treatment of the Metis might be better compared to Yankee treatment of the South during Reconstruction.
    Plainly, criminal.

Viva Riel
    Viva Metis

r > g

6. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

There is a vast difference between being spiritual and giving yourself god or demi god status. Being Canada's John Brown does not improve his status. John Brown was little more than a murdering Madman who made the abolitionist look like dangerous madmen, thereby causing serious harm to the movement he purportedly championed.

7. DennisTate

Yes……. from what I have read I do think that this statement would be true.

The fact that the Metis tended to be CAtholic would get them into trouble with Ottawa at that time in our history.

It is also relevant that significant numbers of American Indians wished to flee to Canada at that time …...but……… our ancestors were not as welcoming as I think they should have been.

8. Moi621

I do NOT believe Riel is Canada's John Brown. I just thought about it.

How common among the Metis is "demi god" status or was that a new title, like Der Furher.

Regardless, Riel represents the victims of the crimes of the Ottawa government on
    Non Anglo, Non Protestant, Catholic peoples. Even if whey were hybridized or adopting Euro standards which was all the American government asked of their injuns.
    The Metis were not offered the option of, live like us and be of us.
    They did "live like us" and were robbed just as the old South in the Restoration period of carpetbaggers.

Lord Bless The Truth
    Viva La Raza​

Louis Riel and the events that shaped his life are more the stuff of Canadian history and culture and faux-pas as any event may be. Such is Canadian history if y'know what I mean. Internal.

Even Canadian Historian are resurrecting his image. There is so much more out there than there was when I first started researching Louis Riel, Canadian Patriot.
    What is a Canadian Patriot ?
    http://www.amazon.com/Louis-Riel-A-Comic-Strip-Biography/dp/1894937899
    He has even attained the status of a Comic Book History format to make it easy for you to comprendre.

Remember Louis Riel
    October 22
    He died for the freedoms of all peoplekind
    and hanged by the Anglo authorities.​

Please, some :flagcanada:
    tell me it ain't so, Jacque :wink:

It is not the fact that Louis Riel was, , as much as his resurrection that fascinates me.
    Although I knew Louis before the resurrection. :lol:

r > g

A made up country
    like Iraq.

9. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Louis Riel had some legit beefs about equality for the metis.
    His methods left a lot to be desired since leading a rebellion against the government is generally considered criminal behavior and is frowned upon by most authorities.

to some he is a hero, to others a villain, much like many historical figures. Jefferson Davis comes to mind. (you know he fled to Montreal after skipping bail and we let him in as we had his family during his imprisonment).

No doubt not quite in keeping with your hilarious anti Canadianism. I am sure you are comforted to know that there are at least a couple of dozen of you in the US. course we aren't very popular in Iraq or Afghanistan these days, but not many real haters out there. that is unless you are talking about international hockey fans in which case there are a substantial number who hate our teams. Stay the course.

10. Moi621

There is nothing hilarious about seeing La Canada for what she is. :blankstare:
    Not the benign, anti racist, pacifist neighbor to the north that is projected.

When America was Network News bound, 2 of 3 major Network News broadcasters were Canadian plus the creativity of that day behind Saturday Night Live. That is power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truly. I first learned of Louis Riel as a guest character on two American western series.
    I got curious about him and started researching in the days before "Google".

Is there such a thing as a Justifiable Rebellion ?
    To keep one's home and property from government take over.
    Didn't the Ottawa government violate its' agreement with Hudson Bay Company regarding the property rights of the Metis or am I confused ?

This is not to compare American history against that of La Canada.
    It is to explore some dusty, dark corners of Canadian history and inquire, how could it be ? ?

r > g

The ramora of America
    That means they get a free ride.

11. Jonsa

Shhhhhhhh, you are coming dangerously close to revealing our ultra double top secret control of the world.
    Better be careful, or our stealthy secret agents might send you a nasty and derogatory note - I apologize in advance.

the answer is rather simple.

Canada was still dominated by the British WASP establishment and as you are no doubt aware the attitudes of the Victorian British empire were not all that tolerant of the "indigies" anywhere in the world.

Like the American Indians, Riel's actions were motivated by white settlers from the east taking over "first nation" lands. HBC was not negotiating on behalf of the native peoples in the lands they managed. IIRC, there was no mention of any political "solutions" or structures in the ultimate agreement.

As to dark corners of Canadian History, we have as shameful a history in dealing with our first nations as you have with your Indians. Look up "residential schools" and be prepared to be sickened and outraged. Then there was the time that the Stanley cup was lost - but don't get me started on that sordid chapter.

Now that is funny. But surely you can't blame canadaaaaaaaaaa, oh.

first its you invite:
    [video=youtube;CWpND8GhBuU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWpND8GhBuU[/video]

and then you blame:
    [video=youtube;bOR38552MJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA[/video]

variation of the ol' honey trap and we fell for it.

12. Moi621

HBC ?
    IIRC ?

"Canada was still dominated by the British WASP establishment and as you are no doubt aware the attitudes of the Victorian British empire were not all that tolerant of the "indigies" anywhere in the world."
    For whatever reason there is some pretty dark stuff in that history.
    Not as simple as American homesteaders or cattle ranches moving onto Indian lands but rather property agreed as being Metis was allowed to be given away.
    If you were a French, Indian, Scot, Catholic hybrid, your property rights were NOT recognized.
    That is different than not recognizing some aboriginal sorts and their rights. Eh ?

BTW how are you celebrating Louis Riel Day ?
    Have you seen any mention in the :flagcanada: literature full of those extra "u" 's

And the treatment of the Inuit ! :icon_jawdrop:

r > g

13. Jonsa

sorry Hudson Bay Company and If I Recall Correctly

No property rights were recognized because this was a rather unique case. HBC was granted almost all of Canada by the British government and retained corporate ownership for a 150 years or so of most of it. They were in effect owners of the land but were not entitled to dispose of it as they wished. They were eventually forced to sell out to the Canadian government, (the british government applied all necessary pressure). so all those people who homesteaded the land, their property rights were not legally recognized. I do not recall any condition about respecting homesteading rights nor rights that HBC was not legally empowered to grant, but I could be wrong.

OTOH, any way you slice it, it was a lousy and bigoted decision on the part of the Canadian government, that resulted in unnecessary violence.

Of course, after years of frustrated exile (between rebellion attempts) Riel went a little loony and all messianic which somewhat explains his second coming.

Usually there is a repeat of the two part CBC historical drama special, along with some documentaries, mention in some media, and that's about it.
    I believe that in Manitoba there's some partying associated with his day.

Yes, disgusting as I said previously. FYI the residential schools were mostly filled with Inuit who are full members of the "first nations".
    Its a stain on the historic honor of our nation.

14. Moi621

It seems to me, Louis Riel Appreciation is a new feature in :flagcanada: culture. True?

Sort of parallel to insignificant peoples appreciation required in Public Schools, but significant in the case of the abused, Metis & their representative in History, Louis Riel.

r > g

15. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

First clashes of culture always produce inveterate amounts of nastiness. The EU has come to be little more than an attempt to paper over six hundred years of internecine warfare among the various nation states of Europe.

2nd you are not going to find any country in the world that does not have some sort of nastiness in it's background, you have three choices, you can learn form the past ignore the past or live in the past, and by the first try to live for a better future.

16. Jonsa

No, Riel has always been one of those love/hate figures.

Actually he was a rather significant Canadian historical figure. After all he did lead TWO rebellions.

17. Moi621

Well as October 22 approaches, please keep us updated to any deluge of
    Louis Riel awareness you are subjected to.
    Unfortunately, Americans know nada of Riel. They should.

As I understand, a traitorous guy named Dumont lured Riel out of the United States to come get himself hanged. Dumont was jealous of Riel's leadership aptitude. Dumont = Judas.
    Is that true ? Thank you

Imagine, Ottawa Time Square equiv -
    A great glowing ball slowly descending at midnight, releasing a gallows trap door upon completed descent and resulting in Fireworks and with orchestral performances of "God Save the Queen" and "Oy Canada".
    How does Ottawa observe Louis Riel Day, October 22.

r > g

18. DennisTate

Moi621... is it my imagination or is there a valid possible connection between Louis Riel day with my proposing the release of Mr. Leonard Peltier....... within a year or two......… the number 39 is highly significant to Jewish wannabe's like myself?!

...(please notice post number 63.....)

http://www.politicalforum.com/opinion-polls/298245-should-leonard-peltier-released-prison-7.html

Should Leonard Peltier be released from prison?

19. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some controversy involving the Hudson's Bay Company's rival, the North West Company, or something? And wasn't this when the Mounties first became famous?

20. Jonsa

North West Company was 50 years prior.

they were called the North West Mounted Police at the time. But its fair to say that the Riel rebellions were the foundations of their reputation in the mid to late 19th century.

21. Moi621

You guys need a little more W W S P D !
    What Would Sergeant Preston Do
    [video=youtube;OwcU1irkhFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwcU1irkhFY[/video]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwcU1irkhFY

It is not correct to compare the :flagcanada: cruelty on the Metis with the :flagus: Indian experience.
    The Metis were pretty "West", what the American gov't hoped to accomplish with the less diluted native genome that lived south of the 49th.
    The behavior of the :flagcanada: Anglo authorities in Ottawa was more like the standard inter-tribal civil war we witness in many nations today as they mistreated unto death the mixed blood populations who were more likely to be Catholic
    and not Brit European.

Regardless of their benign image, it seems to me this October 22 is Canada's opportunity to come to terms with some of their darkest history. And every October 22 there after.
    If America can suffer a month of Black History recognition :bored: Thank God it's February - the short one Canadians can produce their Metis oriented Roots program and rebroadcast it endlessly.

Right is Right
    W W S P D

Canada Watcher
    someone should

r > g

View attachment 30722
    Viva La Terre redistribution

22. DennisTate

OK....so then you would compare the treatment of Canada's Metis population more so with the treatment of thousands of women from Ireland who were sold into slavery.

(My mom's maiden name was Malloy and her great, great grandfather James Malloy left County Tipperary back in 1791).
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves

The Slaves That Time Forgot

23. Moi621

I don't see the similarity.

How about similar to the wars that took place within nations during the Reformation ?

Someplace on the Globe it is
    Louis Riel Day - October 22.
    I pray our :flagcanada: neighbors spend it with proper
    contrition and introspection.

Never Forget ! They only seem sweet and friendly and tolerant

r > g

24. Moi621

Gun shots in Ottawa Parliament and war memorial.

Was someone celebrating Louis Riel Day this October 22 ?

It was so cute watching the police press conference when a reporter occasionally asked a question en Francais, the reply was in kind.
    What a weight to bare, half free and half French.
    I shudder to think of similar, government press conferences in America.
    Imagine the occasional Spanish or Cajun exchange.

[video=youtube;Wi81BvwrHPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi81BvwrHPw[/video]

1979 Canadian production about Louis Riel.

YouTube link to a lot more.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=louis+rie l

Canadians may just be waking up to their inadequacies and injustices as a nation.
    We can only hope.

Gun shots at :flagcanada: Parliament today, Oct. 22.
    Viva Riel. Hanged October 22 !

r > g

25. bobov

bobov New Member

The shooter's ethnic identity is unclear. He was born Michael Joseph Hall, and changed his name to Michael Zihaf-Bibeau. He was raised in Quebec. He converted to Islam. His mother immigrated from Algeria. I can find no credible report that he was Metis.

He had an arrest record. There are reports of his mental instability.

So who was he? French-Canadian activist? Islamic activist? Insane? Something else? We may not know, unless police find some statement or writings.

Interesting that Canadian Prime Minister Harper and the Canadian media have no hesitation calling the shooter a terrorist. In the US, Obama and his kept media would unite to minimize the Islamic connection.