Will Trump Lead the US into a new Ground War?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Media_Truth, Jan 7, 2017.

?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  3. Don't Care

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

Be sure to let us know when you figure out how to carpet bomb a half million square miles of open desert into submission for less than it would cost to invade... :roflol:

2. Hard-Driver

Hard-Driver Well-Known Member Past Donor

All it takes is anyone to insult Trump, and he will send thousands to die for his fragile ego.

3. Media_Truth

Media_Truth Well-Known Member Donor

The only thing more untrue than talking about "a short ground war" is talking about "a short ground war with no collateral damage".

4. Media_Truth

Fairly flippant statement about a war which would have devastating consequences on this planet earth, including major loss of life of our soldiers, and probably our citizens. BTW, historically China has been a much more peaceful nation than the US,

5. Germania

Germania Member

I don't imagine so unless nukes are used which would be MAD (mutually assured destruction) for both parties involved. The distance (and Geneva conventions, Amnesty international, and UN) will make it a primarily military conflict. The US will attack ships and planes and perhaps a few ports and a little more.The idea of a ground war here besides select special forces is highly unlikely. It's too far away and we don't have enough land forces over there or won't in the future. It's their backyard not ours.

Yes China has been more peaceful but times are changing.

6. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

A valid point, to be sure. So, we the intelligent thing is not to "carpet bomb a half million square miles of open desert". Instead, we use our vast array of information-gathering assets at DISA's disposal (among others) and we find out where ISIS has its weapons and ammunition depots, troop concentrations, along with what they use for command and control centers. Then, we bomb the hell out of all that... from the air.

If we perform our mission correctly, not one American airman, troop, or sailor is harmed, and ISIS is slammed hard! Then we go on slamming until ISIS cannot function at all. THEN, if necessary, we send in ground troops to secure the situation and bring a fitting end to this series of engagements.

Bleeding hearts will tell you that we must not take elements of warfare to ISIS if they hide in populated areas, mosques, etc. It is unfortunate, but in any successful action against any enemy contingent, there will certainly be "collateral damage". The civilians in ISIS-held areas had years to get out before ISIS took over... so if they didn't "get out while the gettin' was good", or, if they simply chose to remain where they were under the governance of their Islamo-Nazi captors, then too bad.

But that's beside the point, isn't it? If we sent in ground troops, we'd still have a lot of civilian casualties. It's the nature of war. We can fight it to WIN, or we can dither and blither around, with one hand tied behind our backs, like we have in EVERY so-called "war" we've been in since the end of World War II....

[​IMG]."Yeah, but if we'd bomb Hanoi as flat as a board then all this horse (*)(*)(*)(*) would end tomorrow!"

7. Maindawg

Maindawg Account closed at members request

It seems to me that the worst thing we could do is declare war on an entire religion. You have to understand that in Europe , the Muslims still remember the crusades. They killed like a billion people and then a while later they did it again just for the heck of it and make sure that no one ever forgot. Ofcourse Americans don't really know much about the crusades. The Catholics don't like to talk about it , the religious right who support the military so fervently ,never talk about it. Schools are afraid to bring it up they don't want to offend the religion folks iether.
    But the drump ran on it. He wants to build a wall. He wants to persecute Muslims as a policy. Sort of like Hitler did with the Jews back in the day. The drump calls Spanish people criminals , although he admitts some may be OK. Make no mistake, most are not. The drump gets angry when you mock him or otherwise make light of him. And he acts impulsively.
    But the president is not the person who decides who we invade. Obama did not decide to invade Libya,Syria, etc. The people who decide these matters are not elected. They don't ever leave office. They don't have press conferences.
    Will there be a new world war ? I hope not. I don't see how anyone wants a world war. I don't see how anyone wants to destroy our fragile health care system. But they do.

8. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

We already have. My military is mostly Trump supporters as opposed to Hillary obsessers. I don't think there's a liberal in our platoon. I heard of one in our sister company but who knows.

9. CurrentsITguy

CurrentsITguy New Member

Not really flippant. It's just what my gut tells me. I agree it would be horrible. I just happen to think it is also inevitable.

10. Pollycy

Honestly, we don't "have to understand" ANYTHING. Muslims have no more reason to be 'aggrieved' than anyone else. The Muslims invaded Spain, didn't they? Moreover, should today's Germans be setting off bombs and driving trucks into crowds in Italy because the Roman Empire invaded Germania, slaughtering and enslaving tribes of 'barbarians' to serve the Roman conquerors...?

Crusaders killed "like a billion people and then a while later they did it again just for the heck of it"...? What an abyss of ignorance. It is estimated that the population of the entire Earth during the period of the main Crusades was only between 301 - 320 million people, but, no one undertook these Crusades "just for the heck of it". Most were strongly motivated by the idea that they were liberating the homeland of Christianity from the relatively new, upstart religion of Islam, and many others were motivated purely by lust for conquest, treasure, and adventure. Life was short at best, and misery, poverty, cruelty, and disease was rampant everywhere! In a real sense, you could say that nearly everybody invaded nearly everybody else... except for the Chinese, who, along with India, built the most advanced civilizations in the world until the West experienced the Renaissance.

But, back to the present.... Other religions went through their "violent" phases hundreds of years ago. Today (TODAY) only one major religion deliberately commands its followers to abuse, mistreat, and murder anyone who doesn't believe as they do -- ISLAM! Islam must go through a process where it renounces violence against other people or it must be permanently removed from human experience. The world is too small and we are too interconnected to tolerate a religion like ISLAM any more unless it undergoes a large-scale "reformation" of a fundamental nature.

Do you know what Islam preaches that Muslims are commanded by their version of 'god' to do regarding "Infidels"...? This is from their "holy book", the Quran: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran/violence.aspx
    Take thirty minutes and come to an understanding of what this religion really is.... And then, muse over what Obama has done to make anything about this overall situation any better.... :roll:

11. manchmal

manchmal Well-Known Member

Trump is a very successful business man. He will place effort on building America's economy and not getting into any more stupid wars.

12. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

No. Any war in which we involve ourselves more directly is already underway.

13. manchmal

manchmal Well-Known Member

Trump will get us totally out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Obama promised to do both of those things in 2008 but like he did so often, Obama lied. The Democrats will try to oppose Trump getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan but the American people will back Trump. We are sick of both of those places and we have accomplished nothing that was any good at all.

14. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

You have absolutely no understanding of what war actually is, and show a four-year-old's understanding of air power. Yes - you can destroy any target with an air strike. But you will never TAKE an objective with air power, and taking an objective is what war is all about. It's been the purpose of war since the first of our plains ape ancestors picked up the thigh bone of an antelope and hit his neighbor over the head with it to steal his food. Your apparently singular inability to grasp this simple fact does not change that basic reality.

15. Pollycy

I "have absolutely no understanding of what war actually is"? But you do. We can all take comfort in those words as we reflect on the "wars" this country has been in since a real war -- World War II. In short, we haven't actually WON any of them... and worse, although we got many tens of thousands of our military personnel killed or severely wounded, and pissed-away trillions of dollars, we've gone on using the same failed methods, over and over. Perhaps my stupidly inadequate understanding of "what war actually is" keeps me from perceiving the latent brilliance in your point of view, but I have always believed that the purpose of a war is to WIN the damn thing on terms that are beneficial to your own side. Such a pity. I'm a Vietnam War veteran, and believe me, if we had mined Haiphong Harbor and bombed it and Hanoi in all the right places from the air, as often as we should have, we'd have been out of Vietnam in a very short period of time.

You seem to forget that what is much more advantageous to us, now, in the second decade of the 21st Century, is not to "TAKE" an objective, but to neutralize the enemy threats in it. This can have the concomitant beneficial effect of denying it to the enemy, which then doesn't HAVE it any more more, and would have to re-TAKE it in order to control it. Using my theory, we can destroy the enemy's assets with air power, deny him use of it, and if/when he returns to re-establish control, we simply destroy him, from the air, again. Reflect on this, please -- how much good did it do for us to TAKE Iraq? How much good did it do for us to TAKE Afghanistan?

Look, I really don't want to squabble with you about this. Yes, of course ground troops are necessary, but if we use air power intelligently, we won't have to go on getting tens of thousands of them getting killed for no good reason. I hope you can agree with me that far, at least.

At any rate, I don't see Donald Trump blundering around the planet looking for new wars to get us stuck into. As it is, he'll be trying to wind down two wars that Idiot Obama swore he'd get us totally out of when he ran for president in 2008, remember? Iraq and Afghanistan. When the smoke clears and the last American is finally gone, we'll have wasted lives and money on these Islamo-Nazi pest holes, and we'll have done it for no good reason whatsoever.... I know it's in vogue for the Left to hate Trump and everything, but I'm betting that he's got WAY more sense than to leave us stuck in either one of those places, and he sure as hell won't go looking for others for us to stumble into.

16. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

Democrats bomb ... Republicans send soldiers on the ground. In Europe we have noted this curiosity. Like a war conducted bombing from the air is more politically correct than a war run landing troops on a hostile coast [may be Democrats don't want to lose votes ... they prefer political convenience to the interests of the United States, but I can be wrong].

At the end [and here I'm self-ironic] ... where have you seen Italians on the battlefield????

17. Pollycy

Your Legions were pretty awesome back during the Roman Empire. Just imagine how great Rome would have been if you would have had an Air Force, too. :cool:

[​IMG]. "Now, strap on some bomb racks!"

18. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

Bahahah what a bunch of crap. He didn't serve because he's a coward and you know it. For some reason, you're ok with it. A coward isn't a coward when he happens to have an R next to his name.

19. Media_Truth

He'll try a tweet first, as a gesture of diplomacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! There is actually a "don't care". That's the most dangerous of all...

20. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump was never drafted and received his induction orders.

Bill Clinton actually received his induction orders twice and each time someone else who was registered with the same draft board as Clinton had to take Clinton's place.

There were 27,000,000 men of military age in America ( 65-73)

10,000.000 served either on active duty or is the Guard or reserves.

1,728,344 men were drafted during the Vietnam War (65-73)

15,400,000 got deferments.

Sure are a whole lot of cowards in America according to you.

21. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Agreed, only the madmen in DC are that stupid, but trump is not that stupid, so the sooner he takes office the better.

22. Thehumankind

Thehumankind Well-Known Member

Non so far, but I could see a trade war with China.
    the troops will be sent back home to get rid of illegal immigrants specially Muslims.

23. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

Sure, but they were "Italics" not proper Italians yet. And overall Ancient Romans organized their society for a purpose: to have the most effective army ever ...

Anyway, yes: I can imagine the commander of Roman Air Force [RAF! This sounds curious!] following the orders of the Consuls ... the firebombing of Carthage would have been obvious and unavoidable [at least to make that Senator shut up!].

24. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

Is a draft dodging coward.
    Sure are.

25. Media_Truth

I wrote the original thread, because I have friends in the military, and I support them, and would like to keep them out of harm's way, unless a war is very-very justified. What does your message say to our troops?