+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Romney Electable?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RiseAgainst View Post
    Cut spending.

The Democrats will turn us all into federally manufactured, collectivists robots. Constitutionalists (don't agree with the RINOS on most issues, they're close, but no cigar) believe in individualism. See the difference? Shill.
    Keep in mind here that 80% of our debt is a direct result of republican spending and policy.
    If you want more of that, vote republican.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NoPartyAffiliation View Post
    Romney electable? Good question. I told mom he'd be the nominee months ago and pose a serious threat to Obama. Now I'm much less confident in his candidacy.
    It's not just his constant gaffes - which will undoubtedly be transformed into soundbites. It's that Santorum has forced Romney to continue moving further and further to The Right and away from The Center - the votes which decide the election.
    The GOP should be discussing one thing only: The Economy (including unemployment). Instead, they are allowing themselves to be distracted by social issues and instead of rolling around them and going back to the economy, Santorum is FOCUSING on these issues. IDIOT!!! Obama's approval with women has shot up TEN points in the last three weeks, thanks to this whackjobbery. According to Gallup (who leans Right), Obama has lost nothing with Catholics.
    Where Obama was tied with Romney on RCP three months ago, he now leads by 7+ points in the aggregate of all polls. By the time Romney is confirmed, severe damage will have been done.
    If I were advising Obama, I would tell him to throw out a new red herring concerning Affirmative Action, SB1070 or something along those lines. Bait the GOP to run to the Extreme Right again and guarantee Obama the minority vote - which is expected to break all records at 30%+ in the 2012 popular vote - and again, keeping them talking about something OTHER THAN unemployment and the economy.
    Obama may or may not be a good president but Axelrod and Plouffe are as skilled a political machine as I have ever seen, and their product (Obama) is good at following their advice.
    Romney's advisors seem to pale in comparison. They seem to be completely reactive instead of proactive. In tennis, this is called "Letting the other player dictate play".
    If Romney is going to have a realistic shot in the General Election, he can't wait until after the GOP Convention to begin dictating play. By then it will be too late - especially if the economy continues on even a mildly positive trend.

Recent history shows what will happen. Remember John McCain? How about Bob Dole? These were moderates that could not get the Conservative base out to vote. The same is true for Mitt. That is why 60% of the primary voters pick someone other than Mitt.

Mitt Romney will be just another in the long list of moderate Republican candidates like Bob Dole and John McCain that can't get moderates to vote for him. Mitt will lose.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by General Fear View Post
    Recent history shows what will happen. Remember John McCain? How about Bob Dole? These were moderates that could not get the Conservative base out to vote. The same is true for Mitt. That is why 60% of the primary voters pick someone other than Mitt.

Mitt Romney will be just another in the long list of moderate Republican candidates like Bob Dole and John McCain that can't get moderates to vote for him. Mitt will lose.
    You're somewhat correct, but if any of those, except for Dole* had just stood up to the far right nutbag conservative block of the GOP and ran as a moderate, they could have won the general!
    It's the far right nutbag conservative stuff that scares people off.
    Look at the birth control thing, who is going to vote for a nutbar that admits they want to outlaw...OUTLAW birth control!?
    If a candidate is willing to say that, then how much further to the right are they really going to go?

The GOP needs to find a candidate with some stones, one that will stand up to the extremists that have hijacked the party and bring it back to reality.

(* no one would vote for Dole no matter how he ran, he lost before he started)

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
    Keep in mind here that 80% of our debt is a direct result of republican spending and policy.
    If you want more of that, vote republican.
    That was a generalized and quite frankly stupid comment.

usa us new york

Quote Originally Posted by NoPartyAffiliation View Post
    Romney electable? Good question. I told mom he'd be the nominee months ago and pose a serious threat to Obama. Now I'm much less confident in his candidacy.
    It's not just his constant gaffes - which will undoubtedly be transformed into soundbites. It's that Santorum has forced Romney to continue moving further and further to The Right and away from The Center - the votes which decide the election.
    The GOP should be discussing one thing only: The Economy (including unemployment). Instead, they are allowing themselves to be distracted by social issues and instead of rolling around them and going back to the economy, Santorum is FOCUSING on these issues. IDIOT!!! Obama's approval with women has shot up TEN points in the last three weeks, thanks to this whackjobbery. According to Gallup (who leans Right), Obama has lost nothing with Catholics.
    Where Obama was tied with Romney on RCP three months ago, he now leads by 7+ points in the aggregate of all polls. By the time Romney is confirmed, severe damage will have been done.
    If I were advising Obama, I would tell him to throw out a new red herring concerning Affirmative Action, SB1070 or something along those lines. Bait the GOP to run to the Extreme Right again and guarantee Obama the minority vote - which is expected to break all records at 30%+ in the 2012 popular vote - and again, keeping them talking about something OTHER THAN unemployment and the economy.
    Obama may or may not be a good president but Axelrod and Plouffe are as skilled a political machine as I have ever seen, and their product (Obama) is good at following their advice.
    Romney's advisors seem to pale in comparison. They seem to be completely reactive instead of proactive. In tennis, this is called "Letting the other player dictate play".
    If Romney is going to have a realistic shot in the General Election, he can't wait until after the GOP Convention to begin dictating play. By then it will be too late - especially if the economy continues on even a mildly positive trend.
    In every election cycle, the nominees have to appeal to the most ideological of voters. Once the nomination is decided, the candidate will move back to the center as quickly as possible. This is not going to be a new element to the American electoral process, it is a well documented trend in elections. What makes Romney seem so unelectable in comparison to the President is his inability to connect with lower and middle class voters.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RiseAgainst View Post
    That was a generalized and quite frankly stupid comment.
    No in fact it's to the point, factual and the truth is never 'stupid'.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Definite mistake on his part. He could have easily justified his state level policies with intellectually honest and relevant citations of the Founders. The Tenth Amendment would have been a good theme to emphasize. Instead, he meandered off into the land of Newt and Santorum.
    Solid post and reasoning. That meandering will cost him the GE.

Quote Originally Posted by CRIMSON MASK View Post
    Ofcourse he is electable. He's by far the more superior candidate in the primary and based on experience and resume a far better candidate than Obama.

The problem is, as usual, the liberal media. Their coverage of the primary vs. the 2008 Democratic primary is like night and day. In 2008 it was a 3 person race up until the end of January and after that Obama and Hillary battled all the way until June in a very bitter, heated contest and the media never said the party was unhappy with a particular candidate even though Hillary was winning states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.

Blaming the "Liberal Media" is complete BS to every Dem, Moderate & Independent. The difference in 2008 was that Hillary was forcing Obama in the OPPOSITE direction that Santorum is forcing Romney: To the Middle (and the deciding votes).

But forget that. Between Romneys success in the private sector balancing budgets, making money, and creating jobs, his success and leadership in turning around the Olympics, and his leadership as a Republican Gov. in MA one of the most liberal states in the country shows that Romney has the proven skills and accomplishments for the job. His performances in the debates have been very good most of the time. I'd be very comfortable with Mitt for November.
    It's good to see someone comfortable with their vote. I respect that. I feel just as comfortable with my vote for Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by thediplomat2.0 View Post
    In every election cycle, the nominees have to appeal to the most ideological of voters. Once the nomination is decided, the candidate will move back to the center as quickly as possible. This is not going to be a new element to the American electoral process, it is a well documented trend in elections. What makes Romney seem so unelectable in comparison to the President is his inability to connect with lower and middle class voters.
    That's definitely a huge factor. Also, Romney keeps giving the DNC ammunition to use against him. This election, the GOP has pretty much completely destroyed their chances with gays, minorities and a LOT of women. Tons of Moderates and Independents (like myself) have already decided to vote for Obama - based on how wildly extreme the alternative has become. He can try to get back to center but the damage is done.

I'm sure RW Gallup and Rasmussen will continue showing a tie or even a GOP lead, for a few days here and there, but every other poll out there will show what we all know: barring the X Factor, the election is Obama's.

Only a fool would believe the Democrats are right about everything or to blame for everything. Only a fool would believe the Republicans are right about everything or to blame for everything.

8. Default

Of course he is.
    ""What kind of society isn't structured on greed? The problem of social organization is how to set up an arrangement under which greed will do the least harm; capitalism is that kind of a system"
    Milton Friedman
    ."

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Gaffes? You mean like 57 states?

Obama's gaffes are more serious. Gaffes like embracing the idea that expensive gasoline is good for the economy.

Support for my position? No problem.

Obama's record over the last four years makes it difficult to envision ANYONE worse than Obama. Enormous unemployment. Skyrocketing energy costs. Hyperinflation due to runaway printing of money. Federal spending consuming over a quarter of GDP. An explosion of regulatory constraints on a shaky economy: where does "gaffe" end and "collossal blunder" begin?
    All of your post is flawed due to assuming that fallacies are true but I will just address one fallacy, Unemployment.

One of Romney's big gaffs was his claim "unemployment was X prior to Obama and Y within a year"

Well no (*)(*)(*)(*)e sherlock.

The "average Joe" might buy into this stupidity but the "I have business experience candidate" should know better.

Obama took the helm of a burning ship. Prior to leaving the previous admin threw gasoline and TNT on the fire.

The Dow had fallen from 14,000 down to 6500
    The Housing Bubble had just burst
    The financial system was collapsing.
    Credit markets were frozen and the economy was on the verge of collapse
    The Global economy was in shambles
    Federal income had dropped from 2.7 Trillion down to 2.1 Trillion.

Anyone with any business experience can tell you that any one of the above issues will lead to job losses .. no if's ands or buts.

Having them all happen at the same time is an unemployment nightmare.

How can someone who claims "I am the candidate with business experience", not know this ?

Does Romney really think that all of the above could happen and somehow there would not be any Job losses ?

There are many Romney Gaff's similar to this one but the biggest mistake so far is that Romney has not presented a plan with any merit.

Platitudes such as "Cut Taxes and get rid of Obamacare" are not going to cut it.

It is one thing be critical of Obama's plan but then you better have a plan of your own otherwise you are just slinging mud and opening yourself up to attack.

I expect that Romney will present a plan but he needs the nomination process to be wrapped up quickly because time is getting short.

He needs to get off social platforms in a big hurry. (Santorum has almost singlehandedly killed this election IMO)

Moderate Conservatives such as myself and Independents do not want to hear about more government intervention in the personal lives of citizens based on religious ideology. Abortion, Contraception, Gay marriage and so forth.

We are tired of spending Trillions of dollars on oversea's actions without any apparent return on investment.

Folks that are not extremists care about the serious issues that are threatening the future of this country and Romney has presented no valid plan so far and committed a series of major gaffe's.

The Obama machine is going to have a field day with the Romney gaffe's and he needs to start repairing the damage immediately.
    Last edited by Giftedone; Mar 11 2012 at 02:53 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Giftedone View Post
    All of your post is flawed due to assuming that fallacies are true but I will just address one fallacy, Unemployment.

One of Romney's big gaffs was his claim "unemployment was X prior to Obama and Y within a year"

Well no (*)(*)(*)(*)e sherlock.

The "average Joe" might buy into this stupidity but the "I have business experience candidate" should know better.

Obama took the helm of a burning ship. Prior to leaving the previous admin threw gasoline and TNT on the fire.
    Well it is unfortunate that the average joe doesn't seem to know that Bush and the Republicans had the deficits down to $161 billion, 52 months of full employment and that 14,000 dow. THEN the Democrats took over the Congress including one Senator Barack Obama, a full voting member who could have proposed legislation at any time.

But he asked for the job knowing full well what he was getting into and his economic council went and sold his stimulus plan on the basis it would hold unemployment below 8% and that it would be under 6% by now. Romney is correct it hasn't been under 8% since.

Anyone with any business experience can tell you that any one of the above issues will lead to job losses .. no if's ands or buts.
    No one has said we weren't heading for job losses. But those loses bottomed out before he took office and had rebounded before his stimulus plan went into effect. What he did was prevent us from going into a full recovery so we could start gaining back those jobs and now they try to use the number of people who have given up looking for work to cover the horrible unemployment number we REALLY, closer to 11%.
    Does Romney really think that all of the above could happen and somehow there would not be any Job losses ?
    Quote where he said the shouldn't have been ANY job losses.

It is one thing be critical of Obama's plan but then you better have a plan of your own otherwise you are just slinging mud and opening yourself up to attack.
    It doesn't take some big elaborate "plan" to get the economy going again and jobs creation back on track. Obama's problem is that he thinks it DOES require some big plan on his part and he is clueless as to what it is.

He needs to get off social platforms in a big hurry. (Santorum has almost singlehandedly killed this election IMO)
    Then tell David Gregory and Chris Matthews and Maddow and all the other leftist to stop desperately trying to make those the issue so they don't have to deal with Obama's economic and foreign policy failures.

We are tired of spending Trillions of dollars on oversea's actions without any apparent return on investment.
    What are you talking about, we couldn't afford not to spend it.

The Obama machine is going to have a field day with the Romney gaffe's and he needs to start repairing the damage immediately.
    Just wait till they start running Obama's words then and his words and deeds now.
    ""What kind of society isn't structured on greed? The problem of social organization is how to set up an arrangement under which greed will do the least harm; capitalism is that kind of a system"
    Milton Friedman
    ."

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast