Let States vote on secession?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Ronstar, Sep 18, 2014.

?

Let States vote on secession?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Now that we see Scotland holding a fair referendum on seceeding from the United Kingdom, should we in the USA allow States to hold similar referendums on seceeding and/or forming seperate nations?

2. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

And, if they vote to secede, invade them again and subject them to 100 years of reconstruction...ooops, reeducation.

3. katzgar

katzgar Banned

no need for a vote, just let the south go. the south costs the north more money than it brings in so let the south become just another caribean basket case.

4. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Is there anything stopping US States holding referendums? Maybe the reason they're not isn't because something is stopping them but just that they don't want to. Those offering any kind of realistic proposals for any State to actually succeed from the USA seems to be a tiny minority.

5. Ronstar

good point.

6. Crawdadr

Crawdadr Well-Known Member

I dont think so, that ship sailed after the civil war. No longer is this country a federation of different states. I know that is not a popular statement but it is true. The federal government has shown that it can and will use force to maintain the countries territorial integrity. Since that is the case it would make no sense to allow a vote on something that would be denied by the federal government. Not only denied but forcefully stopped.

7. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

It's illegal.

What the law would be if a state wanted to secede ands the rest of the states agreed, I don't know. Since the states of the Confederacy were ALLOWED back into the Union as states after the Civil War, I don't know what the law would be if the rest of us decided to THROW them out. Texas seems a good place to start.

8. Daily Bread

Daily Bread New Member

That's only because of political power . The south is the common sense section of the country ,don't sell it short as the financial capitals in the NE have been running rampant with rules ,regulations and corruption . DiBlasio in NYC is disilusional , Cuomo is corrupt but since this is a liberal state , well you know. The west coast is a social welfare state and completely in the imagination of the loony acting industry . I'd take good old down to earth , polite and mannered southern hospitality anytime .

9. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

You want to throw Texas out of the union? They'll be a blue state in about a decade, then it will be impossible for a Republican to be elected President ever again. I would think you would want to hang on to it.

10. katzgar

katzgar Banned

I agree. Keep Texas. The lazy fat whites gave the state to democrats because they were too lazy to mow their own lawn.

11. katzgar

katzgar Banned

"That's only because of political power . The south is the common sense section of the country ,don't sell it short as the financial capitals in the NE have been running rampant with rules ,regulations and corruption . DiBlasio in NYC is disilusional , Cuomo is corrupt but since this is a liberal state , well you know. The west coast is a social welfare state and completely in the imagination of the loony acting industry . I'd take good old down to earth , polite and mannered southern hospitality anytime . "

has nothing to do with political power has to do with the north having more money plain and simple. Southerners are by and large just plain lazy. We all learned about southern hospitality from the KKK.

12. Rickity Plumber

Rickity Plumber Banned

I bet the ones who voted for secession were all democrats.

13. smevins

smevins New Member

Yes but only if they are border states or enter into a new nation with another border state that is also leaving. Don't want them shooting down US aircraft or us theirs if we end up with a landlocked nation right in the middle.

14. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

Can the rest of us vote to force somebody to secede instead?

If so then I vote California.

15. Daily Bread

Daily Bread New Member

You talking about NY or Texas ?

16. Daily Bread

Daily Bread New Member

I'm not getting a warm feeling from you , take it your not too happy with FT Lauderdale huh ?

17. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

sure, if they take 1\50th of the federal debt with them when they leave

18. katzgar

katzgar Banned

yup, both

19. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

Of course, every state should have to get out! Consider: the U. S. Constitution does not forbid any state from leaving the United States! The whole damned Civil War that Lincoln waged on the states that seceded from the U. S. was the act of an autocratic dictator and therefore completely illegal!

20. katzgar

katzgar Banned

south florida really isn't part of the south. when you realize Miami is 70%hispanic, the fraud and corruption (not just Hispanics) down here is massive. The crime rate is through the roof. a national drugstore is letting the managers that are local go and bringing in northerners for managers. never saw counterfeit money till I got down here. I will be Audi soon as are many others. People are not friendly and are out to fleece whoever they can.

21. Ronstar

Its starting to seem like the USA is too divided to be governed effectively.

Perhaps a split, between Conservatives and Progressives, wouldn't be such a bad idea.

That way, the Conservative peoples can move forward with their agenda without extreme interference form the Left and the Progressive peoples can move forward with their agenda without extreme interference from the Right.

Once we are split, Progressives and Conservatives in both nations can move to their new respective homelands.

22. sparquelito

sparquelito Banned at Members Request

This would give an unfair advantage to the conservatives, you know this much, right?
    They would have 80% of the land mass, and the center of all that is currently the United States.

The liberals/progressives would only have a slice of the East Coast and the West Coast (and a barren chunk of the former Chicago and Detroit lands), and would be forced to negotiate treaties with the conservatives in order to move goods and services hither and yon.

So much work, nobody willing to do it, so many consumer needs, and so few actual working tax-payers.
    The left-leaning coasties would collapse within a week.

23. Ronstar

see what I get for trying to be polite?

a trolling/baiting post by you.

24. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

You mean besides the specter of the civil war? No, nothing.

Maybe the reason they don't want to is because they saw what happen the last time states tried to secede.

25. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

You don't understand, all is property of the central government in a unitary system like the US. You, your state, your home, everything you own.

To leave the state is to steal its property - you. So get on your knees and submit, slave :unclesam: This issue has been settled already, the central government had the biggest stick - that makes it right.

[hr][/hr]

Pre-civil war the US was a degenerate system. Before the Glorious Leaders abolished the evil Articles of Confederation, and bravely ignored the 13/13 ratification requirement - nothing functioned. A country cannot operate without a strong central government, read your Hobbes.

Independence is murder. Submit or die.