Your complete guide to Obama’s immigration executive action

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Cubed, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

So as I have not seen any threads actually Detailing what Obamas new Plan was, I figured I'd start one, and debate the actual Points of it, rather then the reactions everyone seems to be having.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/19/your-complete-guide-to-obamas-immigration-order/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/20/heres-exactly-what-obama-is-going-to-do-about-immigration-and-how-to-qualify/
    If taken on it's face, Personally I don't think this is entirely unreasonable. Obama deferred this back in the Summer because Boehner promised him action. Boehner failed and it doesn't look like it was going to happen anytime soon, so Obama took it upon himself. The legalities of this can be discussed in other threads, I'm looking to see what people think about the plan on it's face, and how effective it may or may not be.

More resources for the Boarder, This only effects people who have been here longer then 5 years (which means that it really only effects those who have put down roots), plus it denies them the services that people were worried would go to them. It forces those who are deferred to take background checks, pay taxes, all that sort of stuff, which is what I see those on the Right always crowing about.

Personally I think it (attempts) to strike a balance between what both sides want (which is in line with how Obama has portrayed himself over the years, right or wrong).

jackdog and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Under what authority does POTUS have to write immigration law?

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

And despite the claims of such "legal experts" as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck...

NONE of it is "illegal".

As for "striking a balance"...the President made that offer to the GOP. "Pass a bill".

But the GOP can't now, because it would HAVE to include some means of dealing with those already here and putting them on some sort of "process to legal status"...

which the GOP Base would call an "amnesty bill" and start screaming "THEY SOLD US OUT!!!!"

4. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

So he expects the illegal aliens to go to ICE and give them their name and residence and the names of their families and regularly report to them knowing that this may get repealed by the next Congress or the next President and then ICE has all the information to go pick them up and deport them?

- - - Updated - - -

According to Constitution expert Jonathan Turley it is.

But now you will have no problem if the next Presidents says that he as been waiting too long for Congress to do tax reform therefore he is going to order the IRS to no longer go after corporate taxes?

So as above if they haven't passed a bill he wants then he can just issue executive orders, like defunding Planned Parenthood or any other abortion providers that receive any federal funding?

5. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

It's impossible to believe any of the new security features when Obama has simply stopped enforcing the law some time ago.
    Indeed he's been welcoming minors (and many parents) from Central America by the tens of thousands, ICE agents report they have been told to stand down, he recently released tens of thousands of violent dangerous felons from custody and states that simply stopped turning over illegals to the feds have received not one single adverse consequence from the federal government as a result of their lack of cooperation (contrast this with happened to Arizonawhen they actually did the feds work for them and merely enforced the law).

Of course how can you trust someone who creates his own law though he's said many times he can't legally do such a thing?

6. Cubed

There are multiple threads about the legalities of this action, so perhaps the legal arguments can be left for those threads?

7. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

honestly I don't think last evening changes much of anything that is not already happening. It is just a lot of political noise for the media and Dems hope it will motivate Latino's to come out in the next election and vote for them. The latter being a bit iffy since the recent NBC/WSJ poll showed Latinos being pretty much divided on this announcement with it being favored by them by only a couple of percentage points. However I must also point out that the poll only had a fairly small sample of Latinos. The real question is how will it affect independent white voters. As of the midterms they went heavily to the GOP.

Good thread though, nice to see some facts instead of political noise

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

According to OTHER Constitution experts....that Rightwing Media does NOT highlight...it is not.

- - - Updated - - -

BG, they can't pass a bill THEY want.....the GOP Leadership WANTS a comprehensive immigration bill, so they can go to Latino voters in 2016 and say "See? See? We're not racists...we passed a bill to help illegal immigrants".

Google: "GOP Autopsy Report"

9. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Can't see this EO does much except place these people in another form of limbo.

Did anybody else wonder if Obama was using a new speechwriter last night? I swear, it sounded like his rhetoric had dropped to 8th grade level instead of 10th grade level he usually targets.

Of course, the Bible verses he threw in were icing on the cake.

All he needed were a few people in sombreros in the background to go along with all his anecdotes and we would've had a brand new circus act instead of more of the same

10. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Most impartial experts and scholars disagree. Obama has gone far beyond merely "deferring deportation" to proactively assigning green card status to millions of law breakers in direct violation of federal immigration law.
    Obama doesn't make law, he merely enforces it (or is supposed to).

11. PT Again

PT Again New Member

So you want to pigeonhole the thread?

The legality is what the beef is.......

12. Cubed

No, If there was no other thread about the legalities, i'd say have at-er. But there are at least 2-3 about that, so I figured it'd be nice to have a space to talk about the other aspects of it. That's all.

13. sec

sec Well-Known Member

IMO, the new GOP led congress should do the one thing the liberal handlers don't expect; nothing.

They should focus on the ACA, Keystone, ISIS, locking down the southern border, tax holiday for overseas money, reducing corporate taxes to promote growth etc etc

Let the POTUS and Democrat party be a one-song group. The GOP needs to work on fixing the damage caused by Obama and the blocker Harry Reid.

When the people see real, sensible, fiscally conservative bills going before Obama, and he vetoes them, they will have had enough of Democrats.

14. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Lol...

15. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Well it should be simple enough to determine who's right and who's merely a partisan shill by simply reading the applicable parts of the Constitution itself.
    I fail to see anywhere in which the president is given the authority to disregard current law and make immigration policy on his own through fiat rule.

If you see it in your constitution please post the pertinent authority.

16. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

that is what the GOP has been hinting at. Some selective handling of the purse strings which will financially strangle the proposed programs. As I pointed out earlier, all I can see happening here was a lot of political noise with nothing much changed from were it was last week.

To me this looks almost as futile as Landrieu's hail Mary attempt with the pipeline bill

17. Cubed

ahh well, when in Rome I guess.

I think this would be a very shrewd move, but I doubt their southern boarder base would allow it.

Is he changing Law here, or policy?

18. TexMexChef

TexMexChef Well-Known Member

Jonathan Turley sits on no court. The only legal experts that mater are those confirmed to make that determination.

19. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

I think it's a reasonable stopgap measure, instituted with the partial intent of forcing Congress to finally do something about immigration. It's temporary, and it makes sure enforcement resources are focused on the people we most want to target.

I tend to agree with Bluesguy that, given the two-year time frame and the likelihood of a GOP Congress trying to repeal it, many illegals might not come forward. On the other hand, since the reprieve applies mostly to people who are either DREAM act qualified, or the parents of U.S. citizens, these are people who already have connections here. For them, a two-year reprieve might well be worth it.

But I think the main takeaway here is that the President really wants Congress to finally pass an immigration bill.

20. Bluesguy

Turley is CERTAINLY NOT right wing.

So again

If they haven't passed a bill he wants then he can just issue executive orders, like defunding Planned Parenthood or any other abortion providers that receive any federal funding you will agree that President can do that?

And now you will have no problem if the next Presidents say that he as been waiting too long for Congress to do tax reform therefore he is going to order the IRS to no longer go after corporate taxes?

Cubed and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

An irrelevant distinction. His policy is counter to current federal immigration law.
    Therefore in effect he is creating law and simply disregarding the whole federal immigration apparatus making suckers out of those trying
    to become citizens in the "right" way.

22. sec

sec Well-Known Member

you too?

was there a memo or something that I didn't get about having a play on words where we are supposed to use "boarder" instead of "border" ?

It actually is a cute play on the word

23. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Let me guess....all those "impartial experts"....were all shown to you on Fox, Drudge, Daily Caller, Breitbart, RedState?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the continuing question to those who say "What the President did was illegal or un-Constitutional!!!!".....

if so it should be EASY to prove in court, right?

(Naturally, impeachment is a non-starter, so I guess you think the GOP will "sue the President" or try to take him to the Supreme Court?)

24. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Right wing? I laugh at some people's limited frame of reference.

Yes, those "unintended consequences" of letting Obama create law all by himself.
    That's why I think the Supreme Court HAS to rule on this issue in order to insure this unconstitutional mess does not reoccur again and again
    nullifying our constitution itself.

25. Bluesguy

I didn't hear him say anything about it being temporary.

What a President wants is not necessarily what Congress is mandated to do.