Ending the Myth that America is Dangerous because of Gun Ownership

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Bastiats libertarians, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bastiats libertarians

Bastiats libertarians Well-Known Member

I feel like many people and posters here have this view that we are ducking from cover to cover as we try to make are way into the grocery store. That Simply is not true. I would like to show you some numbers that will help educate you on how safe the United states really is.

Murders by Weapon Choice.

Murders by State

Justifiable Homicides

My main point in posting this data, and you can dive into more if you so wish. Is that America is very much a safe place to live. Of the 12,500 murders we had last year, better than 80% of them were done in relatively poor inner city neighborhoods. Places you are unlikely to visit should you decide to come here. Better than 95% of the country is relatively safe to walk around in without fearing for your life. So please dispel the notion that we are a dangerous people and are likely to shoot you because it just isn't true.

Here is another fact for you that I have mentioned before, Less than .00004% of firearms are ever used in a murder. There are things that we find acceptable in everyday society that have far higher killing rates than firearms. Yes I understand they were not designed to Kill. But then are far more effective at then guns will ever be. I wont use automobiles as an example but I will use Cigarettes. So please stop viewing America as a war torn society where we dodge bullets for breakfast.

Thanks for reading!

2. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

3. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Define "preventable hospital errors" because a heck of a lot of those stats are a) projections only and b) inclusive of infections which are "preventable" only by extraordinary measures Oh! And read the link - some of the "errors" are unnecessary testing

4. Bowerbird

There are lies damned lies and statistics

[​IMG]

Get back to me when your death rate is the same as other industrialised nations

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd New Member

Strawman...that is not what he was claiming. He was saying the USA is safe to visit because the vast majority of the deaths are confined to very small inner city areas dominated by hoodlums and thugs. An area that no sensible foreign visitor would frequent. These islands of lawlessness were created back in the 60's when liberals decided it was a good idea to pay people to stay in the gettos rather than find work and better themselves. With nothing else to do, crime...particularly drug crime, becomes rampant. Mass murders follow.....

America receives $140 Billion in tourism each year, more than twice the nearest #2 nation (Spain at $60). If they were all getting shot at don't you think they would go elsewhere??
    (BTW Australia = $20 Billion)

6. Bowerbird

I have no doubt there are safe places in Syria too - but there are a lot of people who would not want to visit

7. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

We're not forcing people to visit America. If you don't like our gun laws, stay out. We are happy with our guns and relatively low level of government involvement in our private lives. Enjoy your nanny state.

8. Bastiats libertarians

Wait did you just tell me the FBI-DOJ statistics are made up? I mean I could see if.i linked it to say Fox News you would question it but I provided you with the direct source that pretty much the world over considers to be accurate. I think you have a classic case of seeing what the mind wants to see. Unfortunately you have decided that America is a horrible place. Can I ask you a simple question? Have you ever spent any real time here?

9. Bowerbird

Why do I have to explain so much to Americans

The stats are real - the interpretation and the way they are presented is misleading

- - - Updated - - -

Gun laws I do not have issue with really, but the gun death rate???? That could really be addressed

10. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

In a country of over 300 million people, the gun murder rate is laughably low.
    That being said, couldn't these gun deaths–though relatively few– just be seen as a form of population control. If one chooses to see the glass half full. :smile:

The gun control crowd in America is the same one that supports abortion, and one of the main things they try to use as a justification for their position is that there are too many people in the world. :wink:

11. therooster

therooster Banned

Amen mate! We're not forcing them to visit,mand we don't want them.

12. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

If you are honest, you would be truthful about deadly doctors. There is a 'blue line' for hospitals too. You don't speak up or you lose your job. Like one nurse I spoke to, she could not say who but they labeled one doctor, 'doctor death'.

13. Bastiats libertarians

But you really didn't answer my question. The stats are not mieading they are black and white. Have you ever spent anytime in America. For example, I spent 2 months in Adelaide Australia with some Aussie friends that I have.

14. Bowerbird

The presentation of the statistics are misleading, If I said that cyanide was not poisonous because everyone has a trace amount in their bodies. The fact that everyone does have a trace amount means does not mean that it is harmless

15. Bowerbird

So I can come to America in safety so long as I stay away from cities - is that correct?
    There right there is the cyanide lie. It does not matter if there is a pile of 3,000,000 guns if someone walks up to the pile and uses one to shoot someone else - that is a preventable death
    Yes Yes we all die sometime. Imagine that death is 100% fatal :roll:

So tell me in America is the sale of cigarettes restricted in any way? Here you cannot buy cigarettes if you are under 18 and you cannot smoke in public places, within 50 meters of a children playground, within 50 metres of hospitals (as of Jan) and soon if you are in a car with children

16. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

see? I still claim you are demanding that we surrender our Right to own guns. You really would like to see our brutal police who kill thousands a year, many unarmed and non-confrontational be the only ones with guns?
    Tell me, how do YOU get the guns away from all of us at once?
    You complain, but have no reasonable cure for a problem as you see it.
    Your final offering is suspension of our Constitution, to enact a state of martial law. You will, one day, be responsible for the next Civil War on this continent, just as you are responsible for allowing target ranges to be established in our schools by advertising them to be gun free. Every school shooting has been the result of Liberal/Progressive ideology........

17. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

You always have the option not to visit. Simple.

18. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

She is one of those deadly nurses, so she'd rather attack guns. She wants to redefine medical accident deaths, but she will include all deaths by a gun, even when some gun deaths are a good thing. She doesn't like guns, so she will ignore 3.5 million auto accident deaths over the last century and a million abortions/year to attack our gun rights. Maybe we should repeal the 21st amendment while we are at it. Alcohol affects driving death rates, domestic disturbances, gun deaths, homelessness, crime, etc...... Why should I have to put up with the stupidity of other people drinking alcohol?

19. Bastiats libertarians

Sell cigarettes is restricted to 18 years and older and can't be done, in most states, in restaraunts. Guns also can not be purchased until 18. But your deflecting my question. Have you ever spent time in the United States?

20. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yet with all your statistics and so call beneficial laws, Australia can't prevent another mass murder? Holy Cow your laws cannot prevent a known criminal from almost creating a mass murder and common knife owner from killing 8 kids. Your opinions and beliefs about other countries really have no standing until you can prove your laws negate the human factor. It didn't even take a gun to create the next Aussie mass murder...what's next, a knife buy back law?

21. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I tried to warn her is was only a matter of time.

22. Bowerbird

Yes nothing will stop mass murder - but it will make it rarer

23. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

then cast your eye to the Mideast...............IED's a the latest craze, and you waste your time dealing with us...........BTW, How's that Muslim issue working out for y'all? IF someone would have owned and carried, he probably would not have gotten as far as he did. He was empowered by the lack of personal protection to target his victims. Hell, he counted on the law to aid him....... and it didn't fail him one damned bit.

24. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Thanks for the graph... it emphasizes how we are sharply headed in the right direction. Don't bash something that is evidently working.

25. Bowerbird

You will note that while the USA has reduced crime (and good for you) almost all countries have dipped in murder rate. The authorities who review these trends speculate that it might have something to do with crack cocaine no longer being either as popular or as available,

But if your reduction is actually due to guns - why have not other countries also seen an uptick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.