Qur'an Justifies Islamic Terrorism? Not Really.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Telekat, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Telekat

Telekat Member Past Donor

وَلاَ تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ

“..Take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.” (al-An’am 6:151)

وَلاَ تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ وَمَنْ قُتِلَ مَظْلُومًا فَقَدْ جَعَلْنَا لِوَلِيِّهِ سُلْطَانًا فَلاَ يُسْرِفْ فِي الْقَتْلِ إِنَّهُ كَانَ مَنصُورًا

“Nor take life – which Allah has made sacred – except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, We have given his heir authority (to demand Qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the law)” (al-Isra’ 17:33)

وَقَاتِلُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ الَّذِينَ يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ وَلاَ تَعْتَدُوا إِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْمُعْتَدِينَ وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ ثَقِفْتُمُوهُمْ وَأَخْرِجُوهُمْ مِنْ حَيْثُ أَخْرَجُوكُمْ وَالْفِتْنَةُ أَشَدُّ مِنْ الْقَتْلِ وَلاَ تُقَاتِلُوهُمْ عِنْدَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ حَتَّى يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ فِيهِ فَإِنْ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فَاقْتُلُوهُمْ كَذَلِكَ جَزَاءُ الْكَافِرِينَ فَإِنْ انتَهَوْا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ وَقَاتِلُوهُمْ حَتَّى لاَ تَكُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَيَكُونَ الدِّينُ لِلَّهِ فَإِنْ انتَهَوْا فَلاَ عُدْوَانَ إِلاَّ عَلَى الظَّالِمِينَ الشَّهْرُ الْحَرَامُ بِالشَّهْرِ الْحَرَامِ وَالْحُرُمَاتُ قِصَاصٌ فَمَنْ اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ فَاعْتَدُوا عَلَيْهِ بِمِثْلِ مَا اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ

“Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors. And kill them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, kill them. Such is the reward of those who reject faith. But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression. The prohibited month, for the prohibited month, and so for all things prohibited, there is the law of equality. If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, transgress ye likewise against him. But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves.” (al-Baqarah 2:190-194)

وَدُّوا لَوْ تَكْفُرُونَ كَمَا كَفَرُوا فَتَكُونُونَ سَوَاءً فَلاَ تَتَّخِذُوا مِنْهُمْ أَوْلِيَاءَ حَتَّى يُهَاجِرُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَإِنْ تَوَلَّوْا فَخُذُوهُمْ وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ وَجَدْتُمُوهُمْ وَلاَ تَتَّخِذُوا مِنْهُمْ وَلِيًّا وَلاَ نَصِيرًا إِلاَّ الَّذِينَ يَصِلُونَ إِلَى قَوْمٍ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَهُمْ مِيثَاقٌ أَوْ جَاءُوكُمْ حَصِرَتْ صُدُورُهُمْ أَنْ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ أَوْ يُقَاتِلُوا قَوْمَهُمْ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ لَسَلَّطَهُمْ عَلَيْكُمْ فَلَقَاتَلُوكُمْ فَإِنْ اعْتَزَلُوكُمْ فَلَمْ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ وَأَلْقَوْا إِلَيْكُمْ السَّلَمَ فَمَا جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ عَلَيْهِمْ سَبِيلاً سَتَجِدُونَ آخَرِينَ يُرِيدُونَ أَنْ يَأْمَنُوكُمْ وَيَأْمَنُوا قَوْمَهُمْ كُلَّ مَا رُدُّوا إِلَى الْفِتْنَةِ أُرْكِسُوا فِيهَا فَإِنْ لَمْ يَعْتَزِلُوكُمْ وَيُلْقُوا إِلَيْكُمْ السَّلَمَ وَيَكُفُّوا أَيْدِيَهُمْ فَخُذُوهُمْ وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ ثَقِفْتُمُوهُمْ وَأُوْلَئِكُمْ جَعَلْنَا لَكُمْ عَلَيْهِمْ سُلْطَانًا مُبِينًا

“They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): so take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (from what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks. Except those who join a group between whom and you there is a treaty (Of peace), or those who approach you with hearts restraining them from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. If Allah had pleased, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you: therefore if they withdraw from you but fight you not, and (instead) send you (guarantees of) peace, then Allah hath opened no way for you (to war against them). Others you will find that wish to gain your confidence as well as that of their people: every time they are sent back to temptation, they succumb thereto; if they withdraw not from you nor give you (guarantees) of peace besides restraining their hands, seize them and slay them wherever ye get them; in their case We have provided you with a clear argument against them. (Al-Nisa’ 4:89-91)

If anybody is interested in actually reading the Qur'an, here is the full text translated into English:

http://www.noblequran.com/translation/

2. JP Cusick

JP Cusick New Member

First off = THAT is an excellent translation you have linked.

Terrorism is just a name thrown around by the West and the USA based on our fear, as we feel terror then that makes it into terrorism - well how can anyone argue with fear mongers?

What the Qur'an does authorize is that the people (any people) have every right to defend their selves by any means against violent immoral invaders as like the USA.

It is also important to understand that "infidel" comes from the same root as "infidelity" which infidel means those who violate the morality, as like in doing violent invasion of Muslim lands is a violation of morality and thereby = infidels.

The Muslims have every right to fight back against the immoral invaders as they have a human right and moral right, Godly right, Constitutional right, civil right, as any people have their right to defend their selves.

America and the West are very wrong to call actions of war as "terrorism" based on our fear of the scary Muslim.

Any warfare allows the terrorizing of the enemy just as every violent war is full of fear.

We the USA send Drone bombs over there every day killing thousands and millions but the Muslims never cry about their fear when we are trying so very hard to terrorize them.

3. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

I've seen no evidence that the Koran justifies military attacks upon non-combatant civilians in non-battlefield nations, as acts of revenge against warfare thousands of miles away.

yes, the Koran does justify attacks against soldiers of an enemy state, but mostly on the battlefield.

never does the Koran say or suggest that civilians inhabitants of an any enemy state can be killed as part of warfare.

4. JP Cusick

JP Cusick New Member

Well the Holy Qur'an is NOT a book of military tactics.

The principle is sound - that every person has their own right to defend their selves against a violent and immoral enemy including striking back at the enemy in their homeland.

And I do not see how any American or Westerner can claim to be a non-combatant when we cheer onward the crimes that our USA is still committing against the innocent Muslims in the middle East.

We pay for it, we vote for it, and we cheer it onward, so we have no right to claim that we are non combatants.

I myself am against our horrible American atrocities and war mongering, but I still share the guilt of my USA.

5. Jim224

Jim224 New Member

Wait, that doesn't sound like terrorism to you?

Islam is a repulsive belief system that justifies the killing of non-believers, the de-valuing of women, and the striving for a fully Islamic world. It is by nature an intolerant religion. I really hope that I will live to see the day when it is widely criticized as the barbaric and dated system that it is, but that is sadly extremely unlikely.

6. Ronstar

just as in Islam, there have been very important Christians who have called for vile things to be done to non-Christians.

Martin Luther, for example

7. Telekat

No, I do not consider committing violence directly in self-defense to be an act of terrorism. If someone walks into my home and tries to hurt my girlfriend or myself, they are going to leave with a souvenir...the bullet from my gun. And that would not be an act of "terrorism." It would be self-defense. The Qur'ran encourages self-defense, but forbids all other forms of violence. My proof? The actual book translated into English, which I provided in my OP.

Watching Fox News, reading TheBlaze, and posting on the "Conservative Infidel" Facebook group does not make you an expert on Islam. I have read the actual text of the Qur'ran and have not found that to be the case. You're welcome to read it as well. It's out there and available for anyone to read for free.

8. Ronstar

I challenge anyone to find a quote in the Koran where is specifically says:

"fight non-believers in their cities and towns, killing everyone even if civilians not involved in combat"

9. Jim224

Jim224 New Member

Yes I know, which is why I hate Christianity too, but this thread is about Islam...

It's funny how whenever I express my distaste for Islam people automatically assume I'm conservative... I know it's a crazy thought, but there are people (ex: me) who hold mostly progressive stances but also refuse to tolerate the intolerance of Islam. And I hate Fox News, obviously.

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing...
    but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"

From: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/023-violence.htm

I don't get how verses like this are just totally ignored by people trying to proclaim this is a peaceful religion.

10. Telekat

Well, part of progressivism is tolerance and freedom of religion. Also part of progressivism is the understanding that an individual is not the product of their collective religious, national, or ethnic background, but the product of their own choices and path through life. You may support things like the minimum wage or gay marriage, but to the core of this particular issue you are thoroughly embedded with the social conservative attitude. That's why such assumptions ensue.

11. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

[​IMG]

12. Jim224

Jim224 New Member

Which is exactly why I have no personal vendetta against Muslims, but against Islam. The word choice is important there, because it explains it all. I understand that most 'Muslims' are peaceful people just living their lives like I am. They care for their families, have goals, aspirations, etc. and I very much DO treat every person as their own individual. That being said, Islam is not an individual, or even a group of individuals...it is a belief system, and those who follow it are not that belief system, they are themselves. The belief system is non-sentient, inanimate. I have a great deal of animosity towards it because it is a system of beliefs that actually contradicts almost every position I stand for. I believe in the equal respect of women, I believe in the questioning of far-fetched claims, I believe in letting children form their own beliefs and not casting them out if they ever abandon their parent's religion. I don't believe in idolizing a man who lived in a time period where laws were barbaric and awful, who advocated for war and rape and had sex with a nine year-old. I do not tolerate intolerance.

13. Telekat

TheReligionOfPeace.com is an intentionally dishonest site. The translation they gave did not at all match up with the source they gave. They were basically counting on their readers not to click it. Unfortunately for them, I am a skeptical gal. Here is what is actually found at the source:

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/quran/verses/002-qmt.php#002.191

(Those same passages can be found in the translation I provided in my OP as well, just FYI)

Doesn't sound like it's advocating the slaughter of unbelievers to me. Rather it is calling for muslims to fight back against those that wish to suppress and persecute their beliefs.

14. Jim224

Jim224 New Member

Fair enough, but honestly, if a holy book has even one passage claiming the murder of innocents justifying rape, I cannot see a reason to stand for it. And I think you would be hard-pressed to debunk all the examples from that website with 'correct' translations that are not as violent as it originally seemed.

Regardless, if the book is so peaceful, then why are areas of the world where it is taken seriously/literally so intolerant?

15. Telekat

Read the whole, original translated text. I think you'll find the creators of that website were frankly full of crap.

I blame churches, theocracies, and other institutions that claim to be the authority on religious text. Such institutions circumvent basic human reason and allow those with an agenda to manipulate the masses. The Great Awakening here in the US paved the way a great deal for Christians, who were previously a violent and gruesome group, to become more moderate and peaceful. Other such religious revolutions did the same. They made religion a personal relationship with God, rather than something dictated by Priests and church hierarchies.

16. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

The Bible is over twice as violent as the Koran and it's also racist as well. But then they are both ethnocentric Middle Eastern Jewish and Arabian religious fairy tales. The world had some sad days when those books were tied around its neck.

17. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The Amazing Sam's Ego Banned at Members Request

The thing is-Islam is more of a political system than a religion. You cant compare it to Christianity. Most of the Bible speaks of Jesus's moral teachings and the OT focuses on prophecies. Most of the Quran/Hadith is just about guidelines for a political, legal, and educational system.

18. Telekat

Uh...that's not true in the slightest.

- - - Updated - - -

How so?

19. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

The idea that people are a product of their own decisions is inherently incompatible with progressivism. Progressivism without a victim mentality is not progressivism.

20. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Explain why I am wrong.

21. Telekat

Sounds like you don't know what progressivism is...

- - - Updated - - -

The Qur'an reads alot like the bible.

22. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

What do you think progressivism is?

23. Telekat

Exactly what it sounds like, the philosophy of progress. As opposed to conservatism, which is the philosophy of regress and tradition.

24. The Amazing Sam's Ego

In what way? Elaborate. The Quran took bits and pieces of bible stories/characters and mixed them in with ideas from other religions.

25. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

The OT focuses little on prophesies.
    Most of the NT ins not Jesus' teachings, but Pauls. One who never met Jesus.