Best browser????

Discussion in 'Computers & Tech' started by way2convey, Mar 28, 2015.

1. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

1st, I'm not tech-savvy and don't speak "techy" although I spend 6-8-10hrs a day online.
    2nd, internet explorer crashes frequently, sometimes twice in less than a minute. Not sure why, but so far nothing I;'ve tried has solved the issue.
    SO,
    3rd, I started using google chrome, but if I close it won't allow me to reopen it until I restart my PC. Also, when I open it, eight message windows open telling me "my profile" couldn't be opened properly Blah, blah, blah. I have to close all the message windows one at a time or they keep popping up my screen. A real pain.

So, what's the best course of action? I've already tried removing the programs and reloading them. I've done some searches for fixes with little success, so is there another browser I should use that's more stable or....??????

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. longknife

longknife New Member

My primary browser is Opera and my secondary is Mozilla Firefox. Both easy to use and have never had them crash on me.

3. timslash

timslash Banned

Mozilla for coding and other tasks, but not for surfing.
    Chrome is good one.

4. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

Without knowing specifics of the problem, the profile issue could be resolved (if you're on Windows 7) with:
    http://www.fourleaftechnology.com/i...file-could-not-be-opened-correctly-error.html
    or http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to...be-opened-correctly-hang-during-sign-in-sync/

5. longknife

longknife New Member

I have completely stopped using Firefox since running Win8.1. They don't have a 64 bit capability which Opera, IE, and Chrome do.

6. Nullity

Nullity Active Member

Just FYI, while Firefox does not yet have 64-bit versions of the browser available in the main Release channel (they will beginning in a couple months), if anyone really wants to try it, you can get the developer builds...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/all/

7. way2convey

8. longknife

longknife New Member

Thanks a lot. I downloaded it and will see how it works.

9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I use Google Chrome. I haven't had any problems. You need to go into your settings and set Google Chrome as your default browser. I think you can do that by going into your "tools" menu at the top right corner (on mine, it's three lines).

10. alanford

alanford New Member

I like to use mozilla firefox portable edition, so, it will not affect anything. I think chrome start several processes and takes a lot of memory. after you start chrome, press ctrl+alt+delete and you will get start task manager, you can see there all processes, and how much memory it takes.

11. way2convey

Yea, thanks. I finally have Google Chrome working properly. Had to delete a folder named "Data" from Google set-up. Working fine now.

12. longknife

longknife New Member

Just downloaded the Firefox 64-bit developer's version. Not all that thrilled with it.

13. Nullity

Nullity Active Member

I haven't used it, but keep in mind, it is a beta version and can potentially have some issues.

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like?

14. longknife

longknife New Member

It's no faster than the 32-bit version I have. I'm not sure why but it just seems uncomfortable to me. Guess I've gotten used to Opera.

15. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

Which ever browser you use, run it in a sand box like Sandboxie

It will be the best decision you've ever made.

16. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

If they ever get the issue with memory leak solved when having more than one window open on Mozilla I will go back to that. Currently, I am using Chrome for the time being. Its OK but to be honest the ad block on Mozilla is MUCH better than Chromes.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh.........it says right at the top of the page not to trust the program.

17. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

I'm glad you finally got your problems with Google Chrome solved. I finally had to uninstall that browser myself a couple of days ago because I was having to empty the temporary files storage cache on it once to twice a day in order to get it to work even slightly faster than molasses in January.

Then I started getting these random virus attacks when visiting news sites. Sheesh! So I removed every trace of Google Chrome from my desk top and after discovering that Firefox is now the number one rated browser, decided to go with that instead. So far so good. It's fast, and hasn't tried to screw up my computer as of yet.

18. way2convey

I've read that too. I might make the switch in a couple of weeks. I've read some disturbing things about what Google is doing with their search features.

19. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I've had Google Chrome for a few years now and have never had any problems. shrug.gif Ad blocker for Chrome works well too. I have Chrome ad blocker plus and I don't see any ads at all.

20. way2convey

Gee, then you don't know about the new & improved Whamo cleaner or the latest male enhancement med that can keep you ...well...you know....going for 48 hrs and make your...well... you know....double in size in less than two weeks or my favorite, the one food that can make you live to 150 without sleep or exercise? Man, you don't know what you're missing!

21. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't anything about them! :cool: I LOOOVE ad blocker.

22. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

The best browser? How about Tor?

23. longknife

longknife New Member

I looked at Wiki about it but don't understand what it does.

24. smallblue

It is a sandboxie. It keeps all the files created/modified etc by the application ran in the sandbox (which in this case would be the web browser) in a separate partition than your other files on your system.

So say you download a file thru the web browser in the sandboxie to the folder c:\My Documents\Downloads.

The file doesn't not actual reside there. It is really in a separate partition only available in that sandboxie session. The benefits of this are that application run under Sandboxie can not modify/add/create files out side of the sand boxie or to the OS system.

So download Malware or virus and in creates a binary executable is c:windows\system32. . .its in the sandbox not on in your system file. It thinks it is on your file system, but it isn't. Right click your sand box session, delete all files, and that sucker is gone.

This includes all your cache and cookies. Basically nothing done in the sandbox is a permanent change to your file system and it is all contained in the sandbox.

If you want to recover a file you downloaded in the sandbox to your file system you can do that easily, and you can set it up to prompt you do do this. IE: When I download files thru my web browser running in a sandbox of file type .torr I have it prompt me to recover the file to my file system. But you can also browse thru the sandbox to recover anything.

If you go to the Sandboxie website they have a nice little graphic they sums it up. But why it is so good to use for a web browser is for malware and virus protection as well as never having stray files being left on your system via web browsing (maybe something embarrassing :) ). You just empty the sandbox and any file created is gone.

25. smallblue

This graphic pretty much sums it up also:

[​IMG]

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HowItWorks

You also only need the free version for your web browsing. The full version allows you to do a lot more, you can eve sandbox an entire OS. So imagine you install a fresh new OS that in a few months you want to revert to, you can do that. Everything you mucked up installed downloaded, registry, everything, will be contained in the sandbox which can be wipe to the original like you never touched it.