what is the ideal world population?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by hkisdog, Aug 2, 2015.

?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2018.
  1. 10,000,000,000

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. 1,000,000,000

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. 300,000,000

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. 100,000,000

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. hkisdog

hkisdog Banned

2. MRogersNhood

MRogersNhood Banned

As many people as it will hold.

3. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

I voted for 1 billion, although I would have liked to have been able to vote for about 2 billion. That, according to many of the people who analyze these things, would be the ideal number. That is about what the population of the world was in 1950.

By 1970 the population was already going over 3 billion, and it was definitely getting crowded in a number of places. By 1980 the population was hitting 4.5 billion, and by then there was really no hope that we'd ever get this corrected in any logical, sensible way. Today, we're on our way to SEVEN AND HALF BILLION! No wonder you can't find a (*)(*)(*)(*)ing parking place!

4. Darkbane

Darkbane Banned

why does the world need a human population?

5. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

3 billion for the world and 160 million for the United States.

The American political "progressives" using science did a study the ""Dillingham Commission Report to Congress" and recommended that Congress put a cap on America;s population at 160 million. Congress agreed but never made it law with a Constitutional Amendment.

http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/immigration/dillingham.html

I was around when America hit the 150 million mark and it's been down hill since, I've watched America's population more than double in my life time.

6. APACHERAT

I remember McDonalds Golden Arches with the sign saying "500,000 hamburgers sold."

7. stepped_in_it

stepped_in_it Banned at Members Request

"That is about what the population of the world was in 1950."...... The world population hit 1 billion at approx. 1820-30......
    "By 1970 the population was already going over 3 billion".......you meant 1960....huh?

The world population has grown 7X in a short span of 180 (approx) years from 1830-2011 where we went from 1 billion to 7 billion.
    Education is a wonderful tool, use it!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population_estimates

8. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

There's some variance in population by decade. You've cited Wiki, and that's about as accurate as at least a dozen others.

Whatever... rather than splitting hairs, I'm trying to focus on the effects of such large population growth, particularly in the U. S. Perhaps more than anything else, the most immediate effect we are seeing is a particularly nasty pincer-effect in jobs and careers -- especially for Millennials.

Let's say that in 1970 the population was 3.7 billion ( http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762181.html ), and now it's 7.3 billion. That's a near doubling of the population just since I was a sophomore in college! What does that mean in a world where rapidly advancing technology has replaced more jobs than new ones it has created?

Cut to the chase: is it any wonder that now, especially after the "Great Recession", what we're seeing now are people having to compete intensely for crap-jobs that don't pay anything and offer little or nothing for benefits? That is what Millennials are facing now, having had the great misfortune of being born into a large generation where people are a dime a dozen.

The smart ones make themselves valuable by getting educations in career fields that are in demand (although that is a moving target). The stupid ones rack up huge college debts getting "degrees" in basket-weaving disciplines, and then go home to live with Mommy and Daddy until they're 40 years old, after which time they're functionally useless in any job market but the "burger-flipper" variety... and even those jobs are rapidly being replaced by automation.

I've said it at least a dozen times in this forum -- if you're under 40 years old and have gotten at least some kind of decent education, then get the hell out of the United States! There's nothing for you here but the hope of enough part-time jobs and government welfare subsidies to help you stumble your way through life. Find other countries that are in growth-mode, where companies need the skills you've developed, and which are in demand. Hint: you don't have to give up your citizenship in the U. S. You can go "ex-pat" and make a ton of money with very little taxation -- and it's all legal!
    A lot of American corporations that won't pay you crap in the U. S. will pay you well IF you go to their locations in other countries! And, if you have a clean enough background for a government security clearance, you can do very well indeed! Or, you can sit at home with Mommy and Daddy and sing the blues to your little friends on "Facebook".... :cool:

9. hkisdog

hkisdog Banned

I want to 300,000,000 people in the world, and 30,000,000 in USA.
    there will be 100 big citis, and 50 countries in the world, I can see and know the world well.

and I can visit all big cities and countires in the world.

10. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

I remember when it was simply "thousand and thousands" sold.

11. Jonsa

The ideal population would be the highest one where resource sustainability is achieved.

The more sustainable the consumption the more the people.

12. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

I look at in terms of carrying capacity or animal units per acre, sorta like the government does when it leases grazing land. I hear the earth can support about +/-10,000,000,000. Famines are a result of a poor delivery system.

13. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ideal, for what goal?

14. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

100,000,000 people would leave 5km^2 for each person. Not bad at all. We could have much less oppressive government.

15. APACHERAT

.15 cents hamburgers and over priced .20 cents malt shakes.

16. Jonsa

I had a friend who would routinely "order the board" or one of everything on the menu. It would cost him 3 bucks or so. His nickname was "fats".

17. APACHERAT

18. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Damn, you're old

*******n, what are you, a hundred? I didn't even know they had MacDonald's back then. Did they have Brontoburgers that flipped over your car?

It's a good thing you don't tell war stories, we'd be getting all this stuff about cavalry charges and swordsmanship:roll:

Just kidding, I remember that too. I read Ray Krocs bio once and it reminded me of my own, except that somehow I didn't make several billion dollars. Oh, well, neither he nor even Bill Gates actually thought up their great innovations. They bought them from others who didn't see the potential, (or care, like the MacDonald brothers)

I voted 10 billion. We need more people given our technology. We can feed them through hydroponics and house them on the sea floor. We have a few glitches to work out, like mainly how to get limitless clean, cheap and safe energy but after that it's all easy peasy

19. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

300 Million tops.

20. APACHERAT

The question is, you know you're really young or just uninformed if you weren't around when the last person who served in the U.S. horse Cavalry was POTUS.

But I digress.

10 BILLION !!!

How many people do you think the United States can handle ? It was determined and Congress agreed 160 million. Look at California, a little drought which is normal for California and the liberal loons want to make it a felony to take a three minute shower. There's enough water in California but not for 38 million people.
    http://cis.org/southwest-water-population-growth

https://books.google.com/books?id=X...tes cap the population at 160 million&f=false

21. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Banned

I would think "earth" could hold as many people as our "technology" allows.

22. Josietheskeptic

Josietheskeptic New Member

who are these lunatics voting 10 billion ? My good the society is full of psychos that why the planet is being destroyed so rapidly