Please convert me. I'm an atheist.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Sab, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Sab

Sab Active Member

I'm an atheist. Id love there to be an all loving God and a heaven to go to. However I see no evidence that there is anything but a cold heartless godless universe out there.

Please give me real evidence that your god exists. Not quotes from your holy book or some such. Defeat my counter arguments without insults. I want God to be true.

2. Right Wing

Right Wing New Member

If you sincerely want God to be true you will rely more on faith, rather than evidence and apologetics. God changes the heart and the Holy Spirit draws the person unto salvation. It is a matter of faith and desire to be saved and desire to surrender to God through Christ. I don't know your heart, but it seems you are looking more for evidence of Christianity rather than a relationship with God.

3. Swensson

Swensson Devil's advocate

Well, what would you like to be converted into?

4. maat

maat Well-Known Member Past Donor

What is your opinion of nature?

5. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Where is your evidence that the Universe is heartless and godless? You can say there is not enough evidence to say one way or another, but to discount one version in favor of another is rather illogical.

There are many versions of what reality of this Universe might be, some scientists think our world could be a hologram, some think there are multiple dimensions, point is that even highly renowned scientists have yet to develop a theory of everything.... So no one is asking you to become a Religious man, but keeping an open mind will do wonders.

6. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

What's the point of the thread? Nobody can provide physical evidence of God and this argument has been debated over and over again. YouTube has many of these debates between theists and atheists.

:deadhorse:

7. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt Active Member

An atheist myself I am not going to convert you.
    I would merely like to ask you about your own (former) religious background, or the one of your parents/grandparents.

8. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

I think I can safely say that there is no evidentiary reason to believe in a god. To state that the existing evidence is sufficient is to state that we likewise have sufficient evidence to believe in the Loch Ness Monster. There has to be other reasons for a god belief beyond what is "true". In many places a god belief can make a person more accepted in a community. Some people will contend that a god belief can be consoling during trying times. In some places a god belief, or at least the appearance thereof, can keep a person from being executed for apostasy. But convincing someone of the existence of a god with mere evidence, it essentially cannot be done.

9. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your existence is a conversation with reality. Nothing beyond that is knowable.

We believe we interact with others who share this experience, but we do not truly know them. What we do know is the one continuous conversation of our life. God, be it a cold hard one or a warm loving one, is who you are conversing with.

I am agnostic btw. But when I hope for a real god thats the only one that makes any sense to me.

10. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

Not possible if you are looking for irrefutable empirical evidence as what is considered real theological evidence is relative to the individual.

11. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

That's because you're an atheist. You see what you believe.

12. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

If you want god to be true, then you will need to use faith to suspend all logic and reason to believe god to be absolutely true.

13. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

That's funny coming from the atheist.

14. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

God exists, we do not. We are figments of god's imagination. Try to be a happy thought.

15. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

He could be looking for more evidence of Hinduism, buddahism, judaism, or muslim. There are a plethora of religions and many gods to choose from and place your faith in it.

16. Wolverine

Remember the bit in the Qur'an where a talking snake convinces Eve to eat a fruit from a tree, and in doing so, punishes all of mankind until the End of Days? And somehow an Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omniscient god was either too weak or stupid to stop this from occurring?

Let's talk about logic and reason if you like. However considering how silly and nonsensical your book is, is there really a point?

17. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

Er, a talking snake is never mentioned in the Qur'an. Clearly, you have never read the Qur'an.

It's typical for the atheist to dive head-first into religion. Yes, let's talk reason and logic. What is a reasonable and logical alternative to the causation of the universe? You have three options to choose from: Something from nothing; God; energy always existing.

Pick 1.

18. Wolverine

Hmmmm... you are right about the snake part, satan did convince Adam and Eve to eat a fruit from a tree, and in doing so, punishes all of mankind until the End of Days? And somehow an Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omniscient god was either too weak or stupid to stop this from occurring?

Satan said to Adam and Eve, “...Your Lord did not forbid you this tree save that you should become Angels or become of the immortals.” (Quran 7:20)

That slight correction doesn't really move your book any further from being silly or nonsensical.

Who says something from nothing? Maybe nothing is really the nothing we use in everyday conversation?

https://youtu.be/YUe0_4rdj0U

So humans don't have all of the answer, so the correct answer is gooooodddddddddd? lol What is the causation for god? Or are were going to go down the same road of special apologetics where the universe requires a cause (and what fundamental law of physics requires a cause for time and space?), yet, the Watchmaker does not require a Watchmaker's Watchmaker? I think problems of infinite mindless regression are a waste of time and effort.

19. CausalityBreakdown

CausalityBreakdown Banned at Members Request

A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

20. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is not our job to convert you.

If you want to know the answers to the questions you seek then why don't you ask God himself?

A Christian could walk you through the process but only God can prove it to you.

21. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

What you have to say about Islam is inconsequential. You don't even believe in God, so I don't see the point whatsoever in discussing religion.

No one; it is simply one option to choose from. Nothing is the absence of anything. So, do you or not choose the alternative that everything popped out of nothingness?

And I gave you the options of whether energy or God is eternal. Now, which alternative do you choose?

22. Wolverine

Yet you continue.

I see you failed to take a bit of time to better understand science?

Is Sauron energy, or is Sauron eternal? Is Zeus energy, or is Zeus eternal? You are asking an entirely irrelevant question, while at the same time, failing to address the problem of infinite regression.

23. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

No, it's just that atheists want the existence of God to be solely attached to religion for the obvious reasons.

I see that you failed to answer the question because you can't help your derisive arrogance?

No, it's not irrelevant at all. There are no other alternatives to the causation of the universe besides 1) something coming from nothing; 2) energy always existing; or 3) God.

24. lizarddust

lizarddust Well-Known Member

Not knowing is not proof of god.

25. Wolverine

I see you failed, yet again, to educate yourself on modern physics.

So why do you not educate yourself, and stop pretending you are an authority on the origin of the universe? You can believe your vile, violent, piece of (*)(*)(*)(*) religion all that you like, however your blatant inability to honestly address a simple question is telling.