Trump: 'We’re going to work something out' with Dreamers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Deport them! Deport them all! What? I won? Well, maybe you can stay.

Indeed, Trump seems to be softening, his hard line stance regarding illegal immigration saying that he will "work something out" with some of them, which I assume to mean they get to stay.

Boy, someone may want to tell Trump's future AG about this.

However for a guy that said he was going to deport all illegals, while some may get to come back, and build a wall, he sure seems to be saying some very nice things about some illegals.

I must say I am rather disappointed in Mr. Trump, and shocked that he seems to be veritably abandoning his previous positions and his core support.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-dreamers-undocumented-immigrants-232301

Donald Trump is adopting a softer tone on young undocumented immigrants granted work permits through an Obama-era directive that the president-elect has vowed to repeal once he's in the White House.

Some 740,000 so-called Dreamers have been given a deportation reprieve and other benefits by President Barack Obama through the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which Obama enacted by executive action in 2012. But the status of those young immigrants, who do not have formal legal status, has been in limbo because Trump has said he would overturn Obama's immigration orders.

In an interview with Time magazine announcing him as "Person of the Year," Trump didn't go into specifics but signaled that he could find a way to accommodate the Dreamers.

"We’re going to work something out that’s going to make people happy and proud,” Trump told the magazine. “They got brought here at a very young age, they’ve worked here, they’ve gone to school here. Some were good students. Some have wonderful jobs. And they’re in never-never land because they don’t know what’s going to happen.”

The interview notes that the president-elect did not back off his promise from the campaign trail to rescind Obama's executive actions. And without details, it's difficult to divine exactly what policy Trump would support once he is sworn in and has to face this issue.

His selection for attorney general, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), is also a staunch opponent not only of Obama's executive actions on immigration but of legalizing those who are in the United States illegally.

A bipartisan group of senators is working on legislation meant to keep the status of the DACA beneficiaries intact should Trump follow through on his pledge and repeal Obama's executive actions. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-I'll.), one of the members leading the effort, said last week that more details of the plan could be rolled out at the end of this wee

2. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

The interview notes that the president-elect did not back off his promise from the campaign trail to rescind Obama's executive actions. And without details, it's difficult to divine exactly what policy Trump would support once he is sworn in and has to face this issue.

Not quite what the headline suggests but hey it is Politico.

3. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

So I guess work something out means either a bus or plane ticket to their country of origin?

4. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

5. The Mello Guy

6. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Seems the EO is not Constitutional.... Do you think a Trump nominee to the USSC is going to change that?

7. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

Compromise is part of politics. Not sure why the author is mystified by that. Perhaps he was under the impression that compromise was dead and EO's would become standard after the Obama administration.

8. The Mello Guy

The court's temporary injunction, issued February 16, does not affect the existing DACA. Individuals may continue to come forward and request an initial grant of DACA or renewal of DACA under the guidelines established in 2012.

The ruling did not effect the current policy, just prevented expanding it.

9. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

The entire EO is blocked as of this moment.. Again do you think a Trump nominee is going to favor the EO? Its a split court atm. If the EO is shut down guess what they are here illegally.. Thanks for another cluster (*)(*)(*)(*) Obama.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/supreme-court-blocks-obama-admins-immigration-policy

10. The Mello Guy

Wikipedia says only the expansion was blocked and not the entire program, trumps response would seem to confirm that.

11. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

I gave you a previous injunction and a msnbc article on the matter showing i am right. I could care less about wiki which anyone can edit.

12. The Mello Guy

President Obama merely said the current injunction wouldn’t apply to those allowed to work under the 2012 program, since the injunction was aimed at the expansion of the program, which he announced in 2014. That expansion would have granted protection to a much larger group of immigrants brought to the U.S. as kids, plus their parents. Now, the future of the program is very much in limbo, depending on who becomes the next president and who that president subsequently nominates to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court in the wake of Justice Antonin Scalia’s death.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/488747/?client=safari

13. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

The courts decided the legality not Obama i could care less what he says or "merely" says.

14. In The Dark

In The Dark Well-Known Member

Trump better 'work something out' with Ann Coulter because right about now she wants to cut off his nuts.

No single utterance from this lying POS can be trusted.

15. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

If a President cares what Ann Coulter thinks they shouldnt be President.

16. In The Dark

Good point. Endless betrayal of ardent supporters is outstanding policy.

17. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

2 days ago the left thought Trump and Al Gore would be taking turns dropping the soap in the shower. How did that work out for you with yesterdays EPA pick ? Trump plays the media like a Charlie Daniels plays the fiddle

first thing that will have to be done is secure the borders, then Congress can figure our what to do with the illegals already here

18. In The Dark

LOCK HER UP!

...or not.

19. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

I am sure all your Trump hatred will work out just as well on this subject as your posts in the thread about Trump meeting with Gore did.

20. GreenBayMatters

GreenBayMatters Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump cared enough about what Ann Coulter thinks on illegal immigration to read her book (and used her material as a source for his immigration speeches). I think the appointment of Jeff Sessions is a more accurate indicator than the OP.

21. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Agreed. And it will largely be Congress's direction anyway, since that's how our system of government normally works. The EO era is long over :D.

22. Angrytaxpayer

Angrytaxpayer Banned

More leftists spin. Will be enjoying the next 8 years of leftists losing their minds.

23. truth and justice

truth and justice Well-Known Member

But I thought that they were rapists and murderers but (only) some I suppose are good people

24. In The Dark

I don't hate Trump. He is the POS he's always been. Nothing new about this lying conman has manifested in 25 years.

I hate the feces flingers. (below)

25. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

So Trumps damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    That isn't a rational response.That sounds like something Hitler's
    Nazi Party would think.Like there's no such thing as a good Jew.
    Much less an Innocent jew.You do see the problem that causes.
    Trump was damned if he didn't make a deal with Carrier and was damned
    if he does.
    He would be Damned if wasn't elected and damned if he was.
    Makes no sense unless one is a Liberal.
    Then all bets are off.