>Mod Warning< Donald Trump refers to Elizabeth Warren as 'Pocahontas'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Interesting.

The president of the US mocking the perceived or claimed race or ethnicity of someone.

Now, you may not like Elizabeth Warren. I don't particularly care for her brand of gutter politics and constant cheap shots.

However for a a president to mock someone's race seems to me to be the very essence of racism, and attempt to degrade or humiliate someone based not on what they said, but rather by invoking ethnic stereotypes.

This may sell well to his followers, folks may claim she called herself native American so she deserves it, but Trump is not using his caricature of Pocahontas to praise. He is using his attack to make her seem less than what she is. That is racist. Pure and simple.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-refers-elizabeth-warren-192018708.html

US President Donald Trump is reportedly continuing to refer to Senator Elizabeth Warren as 'Pocahontas', a nickname he used for her during his election campaign.

Warren, a Democrat senator from Massachusetts, has a well-documented feud with the Republican, with the pair frequently taking to Twitter to exchange barbs.

Trump took to referring to Warren as 'Pocahontas' in a reference to her Native American ancestry, which he has claimed is fabricated, while she insists is her background.

During a meeting on 10 February, Trump had referred to Warren as Pocahontas several times, while discussing her opposition to Trump's Attorney General pick Jeff Sessions, who was confirmed this week, largely refusing to use her real name.

He reportedly told Democrats: "Pocahontas is now the face of your party," New York Daily News reported.

On his campaign trail, Trump told NBC correspondent Hallie Jackson: "We call her Pocahontas for a reason. She said she's 5% Native American. She was unable to prove it.

"She used the fact that she was Native American to advance her career. Elizabeth Warren is a total fraud. I know it. Other people who work with her know it. Elizabeth Warren is a total fraud."

Trump added: "She made up her heritage, which I think is racist. I think she's a racist, actually, because what she did was very racist."
    >>Mod Warning in this thread<<

2. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

lol. I don't like Warren myself. But Trump and his insults are getting a little ridiculous. This isn't how a "Unifier" acts.

3. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

She is Caucasian. Some racism there eh?

4. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

I think it's irrelevant. The point is Trump is still acting like a petulant child with his tirades and insults. I don't care if Obama or Bush or Clinton did it. They aren't president right now.

I care that our president is further dividing people with this vacuous and inane ranting and insulting and it's getting disturbing now.

5. grapeape

grapeape Well-Known Member Past Donor

Did he call here a "caucasian" ?

Good lord....seriously ?

6. Think for myself

Trump did not attack her for being Caucasian. He attacked her mocking her claims of native Americana heritage by invoking a stereotype, a caricature as it were, in a mocking and denigrating manner.

Obviously Trump feels that Native Americans are inferno, and used the attack as such to demonstrate his reality. Hence, it was a racist statement in the part of the president.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump did not attack her for being Caucasian. He attacked her mocking her claims of native Americana heritage by invoking a stereotype, a caricature as it were, in a mocking and denigrating manner.

Obviously Trump feels that Native Americans are inferno, and used the attack as such to demonstrate his reality. Hence, it was a racist statement in the part of the president.

7. Hoosier8

My interaction with indigenous of this continent is that they laugh at people like Elizabeth Warren. Can't tell you how many times they have heard stories of an Indian princess in a white person's history.

8. Think for myself

Okay. Your anecdote, highly unbelievable as it is, is absoluteness meaningless in the content of the president making racially derogatory comments.

9. TomFitz

TomFitz Well-Known Member

You're just bending over backwards to miss the obvious point.

10. Hoosier8

To a Caucasian poser.

11. Think for myself

I am not sure I understand your point. Is Trump given a pass for being a racist (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) because you don't care for Warren? Is he allowed to say the most profoundly stupid, inane, insensitive, and immature things because Warren is, well, Warren? Because that seems to be the point I am reading in your posts here

12. Hoosier8

Making fun of a poser that abused race to her own benefit is racist?

13. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

You're replying to a known partisan who will not accept a single argument you make, sir.

No point in pushing it forward. The Trumpophiles have proven they don't care what Trump does. They will defend him going forward for as long as he is in office.

- - - Updated - - -

He's the (*)(*)(*)(*)ing president. He shouldn't be "making fun" of anyone, especially since he claims to want to unify the country.

14. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm of two minds here. One says Warren brought this upon herself by claiming to be something she wasn't. The other is that a president doesn't resort to name calling. Supposedly name calling is beneath the office of the presidency.

How to reconcile? Bring about a meeting of the two minds. Perhaps stating that everyone and their brother who want to call Warren Pocahontas is well within their rights. After all, she was the one who made her heritage up. But when doing official business, it should be Senator Warren. A president is on duty 24/7 and a president should use titles, not names. Everything a president does or says is official or at least take as being official. So Senator Warren it should have been.

But anyone else, Pocahontas fits with the exception of when the Senate is in session and her fellow senators should refer to her as senator Warren, not Pocahontas. When not in session, have at it with Pocahontas. After all, this is self-induced by Warren herself. Now she must live with it.

15. Hoosier8

The last thing Democrats are interested in is unifying the country. In fact they're doing everything they can to torpedo it.

16. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

Has nothing to do with the fact the highest office in the land has relegated himself to twitter rants, childish insults and inane ranting reminiscent of a mad man.

That's not an excuse, Hoosier.

It's sad I have to explain this to you, but I know it's going into your eyes and right out the back of your head without even registering.

Thanks, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias!

17. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

Trump insulting people? What a surprise, LOL. He is just continuously confirming his profound unsuitability for the oval office day by day. The man acts like a nasty buffoon.....

18. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

Typical lib/prog scenario, they can dish it out, but can't take it.

19. Hoosier8

I am sure the snowflakes will continue to melt over someone that is not espousing the authoritarian left wing political correctness designed to control people. You should just make sure you don't fall for it.

20. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Two wrongs don&#8217;t make a right. The whole thing sounds far too schoolyard to be taking place within a major national administration.

21. Hoosier8

And calling voters deplorables is better? Trump made fun of a poser. Democrats make fun of the public.

22. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

Like I said, the fact that my opinion does not jive with you and it didn't even register is absolutely astounding.

No, I prefer a "world leader" that isn't trash talking, ranting on twitter, casting insults, and acting like a petulant child.

Has nothing to do with snowflakes.

Has to do with expecting a certain level of professionalism that is clearly beneath you and your lot.

Explain to me why it is acceptable for our president to act like this, no matter who he insults or no matter what he says. Explain to me why that is acceptable, and OK. Explain to me why I shouldn't expect this guy to act with a modicum of decency as a representative for our society.

Don't diminish this with inane and vapid commentary about snow flakes and other sordid nonsense sound byte insults.

EXPLAIN TO ME WHY IT IS ACCEPTABLE.

23. Hoosier8

Because it was acceptable to you when Obama jumped to conclusions accusing people of racism. Very unprofessional but hey, he was a Democrat so it didn't matter.

24. YouLie

YouLie Well-Known Member

He said he's for all Americans, not all Democratic whacko politicians.

25. Aphotic

Aphotic Banned

Going to repeat myself here, just to prove counter opinions don't even register with you:

Has to do with expecting a certain level of professionalism that is clearly beneath you and your lot.

Explain to me why it is acceptable for our president to act like this, no matter who he insults or no matter what he says. Explain to me why that is acceptable, and OK. Explain to me why I shouldn't expect this guy to act with a modicum of decency as a representative for our society.

Don't diminish this with inane and vapid commentary about snow flakes and other sordid nonsense sound byte insults.

EXPLAIN TO ME WHY IT IS ACCEPTABLE.

Care to address? I don't give a (*)(*)(*)(*) what Obama did or did not do.

I'd like to know your explanation for exempting the "leader" of the free world from even a modicum of professionalism.

And if your answer is "Obama did XXX or YYY" then simply start back at the top of this post and rethink it.

- - - Updated - - -

He's very clearly not for all Americans, as "all Americans" includes "democratic whacko politicians."

Why is it OK for the leader of the free world to lack even one shred of professionalism?

justonemorevoice likes this.