+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Study shows No long-term lung damage from marijuana

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratejaymo View Post
    It isn't an argument for/against circumventing. It is evidence that a statement you made is not correct.
    I think you're clutching at straws. Medicines with the greatest potential for addiction or harm are controlled by prescription (or even by only being provided by medical professionals). There are lots of things that can be potentially harmful to some extent which the system can cover. There are also some things that probably should be prescription only but aren't for whatever political or practical reasons (and probably vice-versa too).

The fact is that there is a system and it largely appears to work. All I'm suggesting is that if you feel marijuana based medicines should be available (and as I say, I see no reason why not), they should have the system applied to them in exactly the same way as anything else.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    The fact is that there is a system and it largely appears to work. All I'm suggesting is that if you feel marijuana based medicines should be available (and as I say, I see no reason why not), they should have the system applied to them in exactly the same way as anything else.
    Which part of the current system do you think appears to work?

Pills are the most widely available drug where I live. The oxycontin problem (which has now been turned into a roxicet problem) is far worse than the heroin or meth problem.

I know people that drive to the pain clinics in Florida from Tennessee for a living. There are plenty of doctors all over the country willing to sell a prescription for a price.

That system is broken. America completely is inept when it comes to dealing with "Controlled substances".
    Last edited by dreadpiratejaymo; Jan 13 2012 at 03:24 AM.
    A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death. -Albert Einstein

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratejaymo View Post
    That system is broken. America completely is inept when it comes to dealing with "Controlled substances".
    Sorry, I was instinctively thinking on a UK basis. I overlooked the profit motive in US healthcare.

So, it sounds like there is a general issue of medical drugs to address there. Adding marijuana in to the mix isn't going to make that any better (and would possibly make it worse). If you're presenting these issues as a reason for marijuana to be available without prescription, why shouldn't the same argument be made for pretty much everything else too?

I sympathise with your personal situation but I still think you need to approach things like this from the wider picture.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    If you're presenting these issues as a reason for marijuana to be available without prescription, why shouldn't the same argument be made for pretty much everything else too?
    I would make the same argument for all drugs being legal, but by legal, I do not mean unregulated.
    A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death. -Albert Einstein

5. Default

In other news: Its still illegal, Cheech! HAHA!
    I feel that I know everything, I don't really care if its true. Let me have my moment.

Economic Left/Right: -9.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.15

6. Default

I have known a number of people who ,as a consequence of smoking marijuana, suffered mental disorders, including one person with an excellent work record, that I had to sack because her personality had changed so much it was effecting her work and disrupting the rest of the staff. Another person's personality also changed to such a degree he had to be ' put away' as, amongst other problems, he became violent

Whilst it is true that not every person will be effected in this way, why would any sane person take a risk that could effect the rest of their lives, and the lives of others.

7. Default

Because The LORD Saith so and so it shall be in the name of the LORD!

/smh
    Anarchism: Voluntary co-operation instead of forced participation

8. Default

Marujuinna shouldn't be legalized because the cons far outweighs the pros. Stoned driving, I mean, drunk driving is already a big problem, do we need even more of that, people dying in the car accidents from drug intoxication. Alcohol is a drug too. It's a legal drug. Alcohol isn't a drug, as in an illegal socially taboo drug, but it's still a drug.

People that smoke tobbaco ciggarates don't get intoxicated, therefore them smoking a ciggarate or not smoking a ciggarate doesn't really affect other lives besides their own. Secondhand smoke, yes, does affect other lives, but that's not as severe of an issue as intoxicated drivings.

The legalization of marujuinna would just cause more stoned driving incidents.

9. Default

Most of the youth of country is suffering from drug issues. they are taking illegal drug and making harm to themselves as well as the people near to them.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123