Conservative Actor Bids Adieu To GOP

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by signalmankenneth, Oct 18, 2014.

1. signalmankenneth

signalmankenneth Well-Known Member

2. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

So he supports the right of a woman to kill a third party whose existence is inconvenient to her. Got it.

3. smevins

smevins New Member

"Duvall also blamed Democrats for all the “atrocities committed in the South”--yeah he has completely abandoned the GOP. The idea in the article that this interview in which he indicates the party is a mess (which everybody already knows) and that he "might" vote independent damages the GOP during the midterms is kind of laughable (and desperate).

4. Libertarianforlife

Libertarianforlife Well-Known Member

Who the hell is this guy and why should I care?

5. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Well-Known Member Past Donor

I agree with Duvall and that's why I left the RNC (it's not the GOP anymore) after 36 years to become an Independent.

"In response, the legendary actor called the GOP “a mess,” declared his support of a woman’s right to choose, and said he’ll “probably vote independent.” In short, the longtime conservative seems to have ditched the Republican Party."

6. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Have you had any accidental or unwanted pregnancies?

- - - Updated - - -

Me too.. I was a Republican for 35 years and quit the party in 2003.

7. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

As the GOP becomes more and more infected with the Tea Party, it's going to become irrelevant, politically. Today's GOP is not a conservative party. It's an extremist party that not capable of logic or compromise because they are not coming from a place of intellectual honesty. It's coming from a disconnect to reality.

8. Papastox

Papastox Well-Known Member

That sounds like the Democratic Party to me.

9. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

No but my wife, who was pregnant when I met her, did and I spent the next fifteen years trying to comfort her over the death of her unborn child every April.. It wasn't really her idea she was talked into it by her parents. The idea that the woman is always the one that chooses is retarded. By the way I did a speech in favor of abortion in 1966. After viewing my wife's experience I've turned 180 degrees. And my wife? Well you'll never find a more vehement opponent of abortion for any reason.

daisydotell and (deleted member) like this.
  10. katzgar

katzgar Banned

you need to get out more.

11. Libertarianforlife

Sorry I don't have much time to watch TV, as I have a JOB.

I know the name but why should I give a (*)(*)(*)(*) what this guy says or thinks?

12. AKRunner88

AKRunner88 New Member

I left the GOP last year for many of the same reasons others are. I voted for Romney and to this day think he would have made a much better leader than Obama. But Romney is pretty moderate and has a record of successful governorship and leadership to back him up. He is also pragmatic and recognizes the importance of compromise in leadership.

The Tea Party is destructive to America.

13. Sanskrit

Sanskrit Well-Known Member

Senility is a terrible thing.

14. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is no such thing as an independent. What letter you choose to stick behind your name does not change your political leanings.

One of the greatest fallacies in politics is people thinking they are somehow above the two-party system.

15. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

You should not care what other people think, but only be concerned with what your own ego thinks. Isn't this the attitude of the tea people? That any compromise, that is how our gov't was created to work, is defeat?

Only your ideas have any importance, any validity. Yet they are not your ideas, but the ideas of others, that instead of thinking, using the brain, you just parrot. Not you personally, I am speaking rhetorically here to cover an entire class of people.

The problem with americans, is most of them are hyper, uber, egotistical. And from that ignorance they act, they speak. Yet most of these ego driven opinions are just that, opinions, with most of them having no basis in fact, just silly ass beliefs. Which were also given to them, as other brains invented them. The trouble with ideologues, is that they gave up objective thinking long ago, and most of their beliefs are purely emotional in nature.

16. Libertarianforlife

So you can't give me any reason why I should care what this actor thinks?

Fair enough, that's why I don't.

17. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

Who is Robert Duvall? He's one of the best American actors there is.

18. Libertarianforlife

So was Andy Griffith but I don't care what his political views are.

And I should care about this dude's political views because?

19. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

Well, that's a different question than who he is.

You're right that being a good (or even great) actor is not indication that anybody should pay attention to your political views. Lots of good actors tend to swing conservative, or at least claim to -- sometimes I suspect it's a bit of a P.R. thing, trying to look like a rebel in Hollywood or something. Or getting the NRA to go see your action flick. But a lot of really excellent actors are republicans, for some insane reason.

It's balanced out somewhat by the fact that their writers just suck. I mean, bad. I mean, really bad. I mean Megaforce bad.

20. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Do you agree with all the persons and positions that make up your party?

- - - Updated - - -

No kidding... from the Great Santini forward.

21. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

22. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nobody ever does, that however does not make you an independent. To be an independent you would need to have no views on any issue.

Everybody fits into a little box somewhere no matter what term you want to label it and they vote as close to the outline of that box as they can get.

For instance, take Mr. Duvall. Will he now start voting democratic because he "left" the republican party?

Of course not, his views have not change, what he is doing is a symbolic protest but he will still vote according to his little box or maybe he will choose to not vote.

Independents are nothing more than people who are either too ignorant to know what they are or too ashamed to admit it.

23. Max Rockatansky

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me.

Too many political extremists on forums such as these take the attitude of "You're either with us or you're against us". They're too stupid to realize that not only is that not true, but that they are actually turning more people against them than winning them over. There is no perfect political party, but I'm certainly not going to belong to one doesn't represent a majority of my views. The Democrats have never done that, but, sadly, over the past 20ish years, the Republican no longer do that either.

The closest party that represents the majority of my beliefs is the Libertarian Party. Not perfectly so, especially in the area of national security and foreign relations, but much closer than the RNC.

Their platform: http://www.lp.org/platform

November 4th Texas is going to elect a new governor. There's no frickin' way I'm going to vote for Wendy Davis, but I'm not going to vote for Greg Abbott either. Some would just stay home in such a situation, but I'm going to vote for the Libertarian candidate Kathie Glass. She only has a snowball's chance in Hell of winning, but at least the vote count will show the LP has supporters.

http://www.votetexas.gov/

24. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

True, but when it comes down to it, you only have two choices with any chance of winning. So even though he may not want to be known as a Republican, I can't see him throwing his vote away and allowing the Democrats to win.

25. Max Rockatansky

If the Democrats win, then only the most extreme and idiotic Republicans would not consider trying to appeal to those voting Libertarian. If this means reconsidering their stand on individual rights, so be it.