+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: How the Union benefits Scotland and the Scots.

Quote Originally Posted by fredc View Post
    I wouldn't know, why don't you look it up and tell us?
    I'm too lazy, but from memory I think I heard it was the biggest contributor to UK when Labour was in power. Why don't you look that up and prove me wrong.

If I'm right and if it does get back on its feet and recommence contributing gazillions of pounds to the national economy, and if assets are split and it is attributed to Scotland, it might be a great asset. Think how much more a small independent country can do with all that profit.
    Last edited by Viv; Feb 26 2012 at 07:15 AM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    I'm too lazy, but from memory I think I heard it was the biggest contributor to UK when Labour was in power. Why don't you look that up and prove me wrong.

If I'm right and if it does get back on its feet and recommence contributing gazillions of pounds to the national economy, and if assets are split and it is attributed to Scotland, it might be a great asset. Think how much more a small independent country can do with all that profit.
    Well than I'll tell you the answer to your question, the answer is not enough.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-tax-avoidance

Well than I'll tell you the answer to your question, the answer is not enough.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-tax-avoidance
    MMmmmm not the right answer as usual, Fred. Every global corp avoids tax where possible. Was it evasion or alleged avoidance?

The question was, how much did RBS contribute in tax to UK economy before the economic crisis affected it and companies across the world? So if RBS allegedly "invested" £25m as a by product, the tax they actually paid must be really substantial.
    Last edited by Viv; Feb 26 2012 at 07:41 AM.

4. Default

So nobody has been able to present any genuine advantages to Scotland yet I notice. Hmmmmm

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    So nobody has been able to present any genuine advantages to Scotland yet I notice. Hmmmmm
    Yes, the advantage that if their main bank makes a stupid investment with the backing of their government the entire country doesn't go belly up.

It's just that when ever anyone talks about reality it's drowned out by strains of Flower of Scotland wafting about in your head.

You must be deeper in denial than an Egyptian skin diver.

6. Default

Yes, the advantage that if their main bank makes a stupid investment with the backing of their government the entire country doesn't go belly up.
    on that you have been defeated and that discussion is closed.

It's just that when ever anyone talks about reality it's drowned out .

I must be deeper in denial than an Egyptian skin diver.
    I corrected your mistake.

It's just that when ever anyone talks about reality it's drowned out by strains of Flower of Scotland wafting about in your head.

You must be deeper in denial than an Egyptian skin diver.
    Fred, the bank you are talking about went belly up and UK economy is up (*)(*)(*)(*) creek. We are not protected from the consequences of that by membership of UK. We are suffering economic deprivation.

I don't see an independent country taking those risks and I don't see it bailing out a big bank. I see it biting the bullet and getting through it...not in the same way we're being told we are doing now within the UK shambles where the watchword is throw good money after bad.
    Last edited by Viv; Feb 26 2012 at 09:30 AM.

8. Default

Should Scotland vote for independence, it would be economically up sh*t creek very soon afterwards.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...?newsfeed=true

He also feels the need to speak out now because he believes Salmond is deliberately refusing to debate how an independent Scottish economy would work. The master tactician, he feels, is playing for time as he tries to build and stoke resentment against the Tory-led government in England, knowing that if a vote were taken now he would lose.

Is that really all it would take? I doubt it. I have more faith in the people of Scotland.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
    Should Scotland vote for independence, it would be economically up sh*t creek very soon afterwards.

He also feels the need to speak out now because he believes Salmond is deliberately refusing to debate how an independent Scottish economy would work. The master tactician, he feels, is playing for time as he tries to build and stoke resentment against the Tory-led government in England, knowing that if a vote were taken now he would lose.

Is that really all it would take? I doubt it. I have more faith in the people of Scotland.
    From what I can gather Darling has been under some pressure to come out against Independence. He refused to be part of any big team but I think this sort of article is just him doing his bit.

The previous leader of the Scottish conservative party herself said that Scotland contributed more than she was given.

Really the money thing has been spent. We will likely begin with much the same money as we have now. The difference then is that we can choose how it is all spent and invested.

Here are a couple of different views on the financial situation.

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/scotl...d_economy-3239

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index...ancially-sound

Quote Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post

Oh I doubt if you do.

However, I also doubt the veracity of anything a Labour politician says on the topic of independence. We all know without the Scottish vote, Labour is who will be up (*)(*)(*)(*) creek without a paddle and that is the likely motivation for anything Darling says.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast