What makes this Duck Dynasty fallout different than the Dixie Chicks?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Cdnpoli, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

The right told them to shut up and sing. Threatened their lives. All cause Natalie made a comment about Bush. They were heavily under siege by the right.

Phil Robertson is heavily under siege by the left for his comments.

So why are both right and left both hypocrites when they both complain that their side is being targeted by people who do not want them to speak freely?

2. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

I remember the right wingers burning their CD's because they said something against das Fuhrer.

[​IMG]

3. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Well for openers it wasn't their bosses that dumped on the Dixie chicks it was their fans. The Ducks fans still stand firmly behind them. It is only A&E that seems to give a damn and the mouthier more in your face gays. And they probably represent less than half the gay population.

4. ringotuna

ringotuna Well-Known Member Past Donor

Not a lot of difference as far as I can see, except what garyd mentioned earlier. In both cases the dust up arises from a celebrity speaking their mind, words which appeal either positively or negatively to different demography. Personally I'm not a fan of DD. I lost interest after several episodes. Nor can I say I agree with Phils perspectives on gays and such. On the other hand I was a huge fan of Natalie and the Dixie Chicks and like DD fans I am able to distinguish between ones talents and one's politics. Although I still enjoy the Chicks music, I was disappointed in Natalie, not for her comments regarding Bush and the Iraq war but in the aftermath, for the way she gave the finger to and turned her back on those of us who supported her right to speak her mind.

5. oldbill67

oldbill67 New Member

I am neither a liberal or a conservative, I simply view myself as a constitutionalist and a realist. I remember being sickened by the way that the Chicks were treated, and that whole thing was a SAD commentary on the mindset of the hard core conservative. Only in ultra right wing America can you be labeled a "commie slut" because you are ashamed that the President came from Texas and you are against violence! George Bush and his administration LIED to the country about weapons of mass destruction to get us into a long drawn out war that took thousands of lives, yet those three girls were crucified and their careers were practically destroyed because they dared to appose "KING GEORGE"!?! LOL! Give Me A Break!!! I have to ask, who was really guilty of "treason" and who had the best interest of the country in mind? We are Americans and we have to judge the actions of ourselves and our country's leaders continuously to ensure that our country is still owned and operated by "we the people" and not some tyrannical government. Many in this country should take a lesson from Natalie Maines who dared to question the status quo in the face of huge adversity and has never backed down. Weather you agree with her or not, she should have had the support of all Americans to speak her mind because that is what we're about here in America and it doesn't matter if she said it in London England or in Austin Texas. The Duck Dynasty thing is similar in that another American simply stated his views and was chastised for it. Luckily for him there has been a large amount of support for him and he and his family probably won't suffer the hatred and death threats that the Dixie Chicks did. Maybe if Natalie had gotten the support that she should have, there would have been enough public sentiment to sway Congress and the President and possibly could have avoided sending our brave men and women to be killed or wounded in Iraq over fraudulent information and LIES! The bottom line is that we as Americans have to fight for our right to speak out. We have to look out for one another and respect one another because our government certainly isn't going to do EITHER for us. As country singer Aaron Tippin once said, "you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything". We've got to speak out against what we feel is wrong or good people will continue to be demonized by controlled media and governments will continue to drag us into unnecessary, painful wars and health care reforms while "WE THE SHEEPLE" continue to roll over and take it. The public support for Phil Robertson is encouraging, so now let's work on getting the Dixie Chicks back on the stage where they belong!

6. OmegaEnigma

OmegaEnigma Well-Known Member

Well for starters, The Dixie Chicks were actual music artists, so the Duck dudes are way more phoney! LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pork_Butt

Pork_Butt Active Member

The Chicks insulted a very popular American President in a foreign country. The backlash from those who liked the president killed the Dixie Chicks career. Robertson merely quoted the bible and expressed an opinion that is evidently very popular with a majority of people. He has received a tremendous amount of support. Cracker Barrel felt the heat and went back selling Duck Commander mdse. A & E will probably do likewise before it's over.

8. Ekeleferal

Ekeleferal Member Past Donor

---Anyone subscribing to the right versus left theater doesn't have principles, or they are provisional, anyway.

9. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

There isn't anything different. You have the right to voice your opinion and the public has the right to voice theirs. They can either support you, or shun you. You take your chances when your a celebrity and voice your opinion on any touchy subject. That's the way it should be.

10. Marine1

You don't think there is a difference if voicing your opinion as to what you consider right and wrong and being completely vulgar with your opinion?

11. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Such penetrating dedication should be rewarded... in a messy kind of way.

12. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Graphic talk about anal sex seems pretty vulgar to me. I'm fine with it, but let's not pretend that it's G-Rated talk about what to do with penises and vaginas.

13. Marine1

It's something people have believed in for centuries. So it can't be two vulgar. But I didn't expect the Left to see the difference. Homosexuality is now the new normal and your nuts if you don't believe in it.

14. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I don't think its the same. Phil Robertson didn't shock anybody----people who watched the show, and those that produced the show knew what he was all about. So no change of perception happened with him. Its just that he SAID it.

The Dixie Chicks were perceived as all American, Patriotic, love your country, as most country musicians come off that way and most country music listeners have those values----and when they said bad things about Bush on foreign soil--sounding like America-hating liberals--- it shocked people and that does something to hinder actually appreciating their music. Frankly....I loved the Dixie Chicks, but after that incident I had real trouble enjoying their tunes. Music bring up emotion---that should be enjoyable unless its unrelated angry emotions that come up instead.

I would have less respect for any artist who started bad mouthing our president---even the current one whom I frankly can't stand to have in office. Its just plain unappropriate.

That's my take.

15. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

The opposition to the Dixie Chicks arose from their fans, the opposition to Duck Dynasty arose from GLAAD and the media.

16. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

It was anus and vaginas and GQ has never been G rated.

[​IMG]

17. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

Boy oh boy. More 'duck dynasty' discussion. This must be real important stuff, for sure, will all this attention being given to it. Now I see why we worship lady gaga, and revolve our lives around other important things like 'American Idol', or the like. People are sooooo engaged in such important subject aspects of life. I don't know how society ever go so....ignorant. Yup, important stuff, right here. Tough for tyranny to exist through a corporation, with this kind of 'attention to detail' being paid to important issues by the public. Tough to imagine how we ever got in this mess to begin with, with this kind of devotion to humanity.

18. oldbill67

oldbill67 New Member

I'd just about guarantee that the media had a lot to do with the Dixie Chick situation as well. It's one thing to make fans mad enough so that they won't by your CDs or buy a ticket to your concert but DEATH THREATS?!? And all that was because Natalie Maines was ashamed that Bush was from Texas and didn't approve of the war?!? Natalie never said or did anything to warrant the venomous attacks that she and the other girls suffered, no matter if it was on foreign soil or U.S. soil and I believe that those attacks were the product of a huge smear campaign that was launched by controlled media. Just as they do with everything else that they zero in on they went on and on about it until everyone was frothing at the mouth at the sight of the Dixie Chicks. Natalie dared to question "King George" and nearly paid for it with her career. Today Natalie and the girls still perform. They are currently touring in Europe where they are loved by thousands and they have effectively moved on but here in America hate dies hard and there are plenty of people who refuse to let it go. I think though, that it's not really about what Natalie said a decade ago anymore but about the fact that what she said WAS RIGHT and that fact has all her of haters chewing antacids after eating so much crow!!! To end this post let me just say that I had some very good friends that went to Iraq, a couple didn't come back and one has severe neurological and psychological issues. My friends joined the Army because they wanted to help make the world safer. I believe that they would have joined anyway just to serve the country but they joined when they did because they heard that there were weapons of mass destruction in Saddam's hands and it was pretty obvious to everyone that if he had them, he would definitely use them. The reports about the w.o.m.d. s turned out to be lies from the Bush administration to sell the war to the American people and for those lies my friends gave their lives and their family's lives are FOREVER changed as they go on without their fallen loved ones. So if given the chance what I would say to old G.W. would be a LOT more harsh than... I'm ashamed you're from Texas. Natalie Maines now inhabits a special place in my heart because she wasn't afraid to speak her mind and has never backed down. She's what true Texas girls are made of and no matter what anyone else says, to me she's an American hero.

OKgrannie and (deleted member) like this.
  19. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Yeah responding to people who disagree with one's life style choices with homicide is almost sure to make one even more even more popular...

I think unrepentant homosexuals are going to hell. Along with all the rest of the unrepentant. It is not my Job to send any of them there save in self defense of myself or others. The only duty me or any other Christian has to any of them according to Ezekiel is to warm them of that possibility if they will not repent. And that by the way is warn not badger.

20. Super21

Super21 Banned

Why do you believe Bush is a Nazi?

21. apoState

apoState New Member

I think most people tend toward partisanship. It is easier than critically assessing every situation that comes your way based on its own merits.

22. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Derp.

Here's the difference: the public's overwhelming voice sided only with one of them.

23. TomFitz

TomFitz Well-Known Member

Maybe because one was making a specific poltical statement about what was going on in the world (to be subsequently vindicated), while the other was espousing ignorance and bigotry in a very general sense.

Of course, in the one case, you had the White House image management operation supporting an entire orchestrated smear campaign. On the other, you had a few network executives needing to make a point regarding what was widely viewed as unacceptable while trying to keep the gravy train rolling.

24. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

No, it is a reference to blind nationalism.

25. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

can you quote me the verse in the Bible that talks about anus and vagina?

- - - Updated - - -

What does it mean to not "believe in" homosexuality.