Feminist icon Margaret Sanger and her "Negro Eugenics Program and speech to the KKK

Discussion in 'Women's Rights' started by ryobi, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

http://spectator.org/articles/61552/reflections-roe-when-margaret-sanger-spoke-kkk#!

Feminist icon and planned parenthood founder Margaret Sanger and her "Negro Eugenics Program" spoke to the KKK in New Jersey in May 1926. Sanger said of her speech at the rally in her book, “I believed I had accomplished my purpose. A dozen invitations to speak to similar groups were proffered. The conversation went on and on, and when we were finally through it was too late to return to New York...." Feminists and the women of the KKK were also istrumental in making Prohibition the law...

Margaret Sanger and her, "negro eugenics program," and speech to the KKK:

Progressives today dare not raise the alarming specter of Sanger’s “Negro Project,” or her correspondence with Dr. Clarence Gamble, one of her Negro Project collaborators. In a remarkable December 10, 1939 letter today held in the Sanger archives at Smith College (I have a photocopy), Sanger urged Gamble: “We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population.”

So, when liberals wail and gnash their teeth over Steve Scalise, ask them if they give a rip that one of the charter members of the progressive hall of fame, a forever-revered icon-in-good-standing, Saint Margaret Sanger, had a Negro Project, preached “race improvement,” and spoke to the KKK. Don’t be surprised when they respond in complete denial, complete anger, or complete bewilderment

There’s no excuse for not knowing that Sanger did this, other than the routine self-censorship and self-imposed ignorance that liberals excel at imposing on themselves. Sanger openly wrote about in her 1938 autobiography published by W.W. Norton, one of the leading New York publishing houses.
    There, on pages 366 and 367, Sanger began by immediately justifying her acceptance of the invitation: “Always to me any aroused group was a good group, and therefore I accepted an invitation to talk to the women’s branch of the Ku Klux Klan at Silver Lake, New Jersey.” (Imagine a modern Republican saying roughly the same thing: “Always to me any passionate group is a good group, and therefore I accepted an invitation to talk to the [fill-in-the-blank] branch of the Ku Klux Klan….”
    Sanger relayed little of what she shared with the klanswomen at their rally, though apparently she was extremely successful and satisfied with herself: “I believed I had accomplished my purpose. A dozen invitations to speak to similar groups were proffered. The conversation went on and on, and when we were finally through it was too late to return to New York…. I could not even send a telegram to let my family know whether I had been thrown in the river or was being held incommunicado. It was nearly one before I reached Trenton, and I spent the night in a hotel.”

One might ask, why would the KKK be so interested in Ms. Sanger? The reasons are obvious, a natural fit.
    Sanger was a passionate racial-eugenicist with a crowning vision for what she openly called “race improvement.” The Planned Parenthood founder lamented America’s “race of degenerates.” The nation’s landscape needed to be purged of its “human weeds” and “the dead weight of human waste.” This included the “feeble-minded,” the “insane,” and the just plain “idiots.” Sanger shared the disparaging view of humanity held by another progressive icon, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, who declared that “Three generations of imbeciles are enough.” Like Holmes, and, for that matter, like Adolf Hitler—who was an obviously more aggressive racial-eugenicist—Sanger hoped to finesse and refine the “gene pool.” She would do so not with gas chambers and concentration camps but with birth-control pills, eliminating human life before conception rather than after birth. Thus, her Planned Parenthood, which was originally called the American Birth Control League.
    One of Sanger’s favorite slogans, so much so that it adorned the masthead of her Birth Control Review, was this: “Birth Control: To Create a Race of Thoroughbreds

2. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

Yawn, same old same old often debunked BS

Sanger did not address the KKK she addressed the wives of KKK members and spoke to them about birth control, there was never a "Negro Eugenics Program", your cherry picked quotes and misrepresentation reveal nothing new.

Talk all you like about the Negro Project and her correspondences with Gamble, chances are you will just be repeating cherry picked quotes used out of context and misrepresented .. just like the one you have supplied above.

There is nothing to deny .. except the continued cherry picking or quotes used out of context and misrepresented by people who have already decided.

Given that in her time the KKK were not seen in the same way as they are now .. for one they are now likened to a terrorist group and are monitored by the FBI .. then yes it would be wrong for a modern day Republican or any other politician to address them. Confusing modern day politics with Sanger's era of politics is a standard thing for some.

Sanger's prime motive and goal was birth control, that is plainly obvious in the majority of her writings etc, so it is pretty safe to assume she spoke to the wives of klan members about birth control and as it seems it was well received it is easy to see why she would be "extremely successful and satisfied with herself" .. so unless you can offer up any evidence to suggest she spoke about anything other than birth control then you really have nothing.

Except that it was the wives of KKK members she spoke to, and yes woman of all kinds would be interested in her message of birth control .. after all they were tired of being breeding chambers and wanted some control over when and how many children they had.

nope, no evidence what so ever that Sanger was a "passionate racial-eugenicist", and what particular race are you alluding to .. perhaps the human race, but no that would of course require you to face your own assumptions.

correct, she certainly did .. nothing in that statement relates to a specific race though.

Except of course the fact is that Sanger NEVER said or wrote the words "Human weeds" .. those words come from a pro-life pamphlet, as to the other quote, yet again a misrepresented, cherry picked, out of context quote.

Except of course that Sanger was against Hitler .. but don't let the facts get in the way of a good lie.

How can you eliminate human life before conception?

A quote often attributed to Sanger that she never actually said or wrote.

I do wish these Sanger bashers would actually research the person they claim to know so much about instead of being led by the nose by people only wishing to confirm their own bias.

3. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

I understand. You want contraceptions outlawed. Some Catholics and other religious zealots agree with you. Few Americans do.

Birth control pills are given to the mentally disabled females incapable of raising a child or having the mental ability to avoid pregnancy. Since you claim that is evil and should be outlawed, which do you pick:

1. Returning to forced sterilizing of the mentally disabled or
    2. Locking them in solitary for life to prevent sex or
    3. Having the government take care of their 15+ children each as orphans?

PICK ONE!

4. JakeJ

The endless war against Sanger is NOT about abortion. She opposed abortion. It is the Catholic church's endless war against her for her part in making birth control legal and available.

The raging of Catholic zealots against contraceptives and birth control being legal will never end. Prolifers are the mindless lackies of the Pope, it is that simple. They chant all Catholic slogans as their own, use all Catholic terminology, and pursue any agenda the Catholic Church wants them to.

5. Fugazi

not all of them, some truly believe that Sangers motive was the decimation of certain races .. I find it enlightening to watch the extent that they go to in order to support their conformation bias.

6. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

It's a fact that feminist icon and planned parenthood founder, Margaret Sanger gave a speech to the women of the KKK and in Sanger's own words the speech was well recieved by the women of the KKK, so well recieved she was offered multiple opportunities by people who heard that speech to give speeches to other groups.

How is this confirmation bias???

7. Fugazi

simple, you are assuming that her speech was about race, can you please give the evidence that shows her speech to the women of the KKK was about race and not birth control .. ergo your assumption is to confirm your bias.

8. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

Voluntary "eugenics" is perfectly fine. No one's obligated to the state to "give birth" for any reason. As long as no one is forced then it's not eugenics.

The premise here makes no sense anyway unless someone is a religious fundamentalist who believes "be fruitful and multiply" applies literally in the 21st Century, or if they want males to be the only ones who have a decision in birth control (condoms), meaning they're against even the basic rights of 1st wave feminism - both of which ideas I'd say are nonsense and sound like they belong in Saudi Arabia.

9. SpaceCricket79

And Nazi Germany invented the Volkswagen Beetle.

Wup dee freaking doo

10. JakeJ

The goal of you and the Catholic Church to undo the legalization that Sanger successfully fought for will not succeed. Or it could that you despise her for being anti-abortion.

Which is it?

What is clear is your definition of anyone who does not want a criminal offense to have, use, buy or sell condoms and contraceptives is a "feminist."

11. Independant thinker

Independant thinker Banned

Probably a myth.

12. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

So you're saying racism is good?

13. SpaceCricket79

Not following you - you're saying that people shouldn't be allowed to use birth control because it might "reduce" the black population?

14. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

You're saying the nazis are good because they invented a car therefore since the nazis are good the KKK and margaret sangers negro eugenics program are good as well?

15. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Oh no I believe in birth control. I don't believe abortion should be used as birth control however, and I don't believe abortion should be used to reduce the numbers of a particular race because you don't like that race.

16. JakeJ

Nazis invented the car? The car was invented decades before Nazis. :roflol:

Yes, Catholic zealots hated Sanger and still do. Why not just admit you're a Papist Catholic and belief the Pope should rule the Western world as in the past?

17. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Reading Comprehension problems with this one. I didn't say the Nazi's invented cars I said the nazis invented a car, the volkswagon beetle.

Actually I'm a norse pagan and people who followed christian faiths were at war with the norse for 300 years from about A.D 800 to A.D 1100 and norway was the last european country to convert to christianity.

18. JakeJ

Catholics are never going to give up their hatred of anti-abortion Margaret Sanger for her key role is eliminating laws that made it a criminal offense to sell or buy a condom. Catholic Church totally controls prolifers.

19. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

I'm pro-life and I have nothing to do with the catholic church.

20. Fugazi

Which of course has nothing to do with Sanger as she was pro-life as far as abortion was concerned and there is NOTHING that points to Sanger being racist.

21. Albert Di Salvo

Albert Di Salvo New Member

Why am I not surprised to find you posting on this thread. You have a singular focus. It's quasi-religious. A priest of the Goddess Margaret Sanger. I've never seen anything like it.

22. ryobi

ryobi Well-Known Member

Margaret Sanger created a "negro eugenics program," and gave a speech to the KKK and Barack Obama wept when he was awarded the Margaret Sanger Award. Ironic Isn't it.

23. Fugazi

Why am I not surprised that now all your so called arguments have been destroyed you resort to feeble attempts to demean others .. but there again your track record should have pointed that out to me.

24. Fugazi

Except that she did not create a "negro eugenics program," and her speech to the women's section of the KKK was about birth control, and I guess it is of no surprise that the usual off topic comments find a way into your responses.